14 replies to this topic

#1 josepgoncalves

josepgoncalves

seems to like Carpe

• 40 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 05 August 2018 - 10:18 am

Hi there

Trying to make the best out of nice weather, so went on trip to northern Spain with my wife, the first time with two on top!

After the 1500 Kms trip my rear suspension feels soft, and when I make small movement up and down there is a 'knock' noise from rear suspension.

Have reviewed the top bushing, and all the connections on the bottom of the shock, and everything looks smooth and solid. Apparently the noise it's from the inside shock.

It's almost 90000 Kms. Have any of you had similar symptoms?? If the problem is in the shock, what is your advice, change or rebuild?

Thanks!

#2 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 05 August 2018 - 11:02 am

has the lower shock linkages been stripped and greased?   Is the frame snapped here the shock attaches to it?

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#3 josepgoncalves

josepgoncalves

seems to like Carpe

• 40 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 11:09 am

has the lower shock linkages been stripped and greased?   Is the frame snapped here the shock attaches to it?

Cannot see if the frame is snapped (hope not), but it doesn't sound like that. Bottom link was stripped and greased one year ago.

#4 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 05 August 2018 - 04:24 pm

60000 miles on the oem shock, presume that's what it is ! time for a new one i would think or a rebuild.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#5 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 06 August 2018 - 01:46 am

damper rod in the shock could be broken?

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#6 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 06 August 2018 - 08:58 am

If I press on the rear of my bike I get a slight knock, it's actually the brake pads moving slightly due to worn holes where the brake pins locate.  Just a thought.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#7 josepgoncalves

josepgoncalves

seems to like Carpe

• 40 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 02:24 pm

If I press on the rear of my bike I get a slight knock, it's actually the brake pads moving slightly due to worn holes where the brake pins locate.  Just a thought.

Just handed the top bushing, and all the connections in the bottom link while bouncing the bike to ear the knock. We can feel the knock in the schok body, and there is no play in the top or bottom link.

Is the oem shock rebuildable?

#8 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 03:15 pm

Yes. :)  http://www.carpe-tdm...showtopic=32655

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#9 josepgoncalves

josepgoncalves

seems to like Carpe

• 40 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 09:55 am

Hi there

Since my rear suspension noise is still around, yesterday I decided disassemble the rear suspension to clean and inspect. I took everything out except swing arm. Everything looked ok. Unfortunately I had no way to remove the spring from the shock. That was the best way to see if the noise comes from there. 

On the bottom relay arm all the bearing were Ok. Only a minor slack in the small bearings where the connecting arms meet the swing arm.

What I really found strange was that this assembly ( the two conecting arms ) is that it has more than one mm side play. After everything was claened and reinstalled, I can move this assembly laterally and feel this play. According to the manual there are no parts missing.

Is this normal?

Thanks for any help.

BR,

José

#10 Retro

Retro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 242 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 22 August 2018 - 12:00 pm

Hi there

Since my rear suspension noise is still around, yesterday I decided disassemble the rear suspension to clean and inspect. I took everything out except swing arm. Everything looked ok. Unfortunately I had no way to remove the spring from the shock. That was the best way to see if the noise comes from there. 

On the bottom relay arm all the bearing were Ok. Only a minor slack in the small bearings where the connecting arms meet the swing arm.

What I really found strange was that this assembly ( the two conecting arms ) is that it has more than one mm side play. After everything was claened and reinstalled, I can move this assembly laterally and feel this play. According to the manual there are no parts missing.

Is this normal?

Thanks for any help.

BR,

José

I noticed a knock at around 45K miles. Replaced the shock with a YSS... no knock.

Strangely there is lateral play in the swing arm about 1.5mm when the wheel is removed. I stripped swing arm and linkages down, all looked fine. Regreased, reassembled reinstalled wheel. There's no play. Think its normal for the TDM

I never ride faster than my angel can fly

#11 josepgoncalves

josepgoncalves

seems to like Carpe

• 40 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 08:33 pm

Thanks for all the feedbacks.

Tring to close this. The noise is still around, so I'm starting to looking for a solution. 

I've three option, but it is not ease to decide between them

1 - Used shocks at about 100€

2 - Rebuild in england (brooksuspension.co.uk) about 220€

3 - New YSS around 350€

Any advice is welcome!

BR,

José

#12 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 03 September 2018 - 09:54 pm

Thanks for all the feedbacks.

Tring to close this. The noise is still around, so I'm starting to looking for a solution. 

I've three option, but it is not ease to decide between them

1 - Used shocks at about 100€

2 - Rebuild in england (brooksuspension.co.uk) about 220€

3 - New YSS around 350€

Any advice is welcome!

BR,

José

Dunfermline Motorcycles in Scotland rebuilt my 900 shock for £85 (95 Euro)

https://www.dunferml...orcycles.co.uk/

They rebuild shocks from all sorts of classic and modern bikes, able to remake or upgrade worn parts as required

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#13 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 04 September 2018 - 07:33 am

M shock is another option at £350, seems as good as anything else i've had.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#14 madmopedracer

madmopedracer

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 10:00 am

M shock is another option at £350, seems as good as anything else i've had.

+1 JUST FITTED ONE LIKE MAGIC CARPET COMPARED TO STANDARD

sorry caps lock

they set it for your weight etc and how to get it back to that if you mess around with it

#15 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 04 September 2018 - 01:23 pm

I've got MShock on at the mo. Was a definite difference to stock. Bike felt more planted and gives more confidence in the twisties. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users