#1 v8guy

v8guy

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 05 September 2021 - 01:35 pm

Hi all,

I've owned my TDM900 since 2005.. many happy times spent together and we're still best friends! But, for the firstsecond time in all those years (although not so many miles.. ~39k) she has let me down. Properly failed - left me standing by the side of the road waiting for a recovery truck kinda failed.

Whilst riding along, thankfully at a very low speed, she simply cut out on me.. as if there were no fuel in the tank. There's plenty of spark, no apparent electrical problems, and the engine turns over and over.. just no ignition. It's like there's no fuel, despite the tank being 2/3 full. The only visible sign of failure I have found at the roadside is that the PowerCommander III has no power - no lights, nothing. The bike had been running beautifully all day until this point!

For various reasons, the bike is currently marooned at a friend's house a few miles away, and I've yet to take it apart and start the investigation. I've been looking into likely causes, and therefore what I should be investigating when I get the opportunity. Reading around, I suspect the PCIII is powered off the fuel pump, so my primary hypothesis is a fuel pump failure, or PCIII failure. My first task is to make my way to the fuel pump and see if it's at fault, and then perhaps trying removing the PCIII completely to see the effect.

It'll be a while yet before I have the chance to start work, but I'm asking here in case anyone has any words of wisdom as to what else might be worth looking into.

Any ideas welcome!  :good:

Cheers!

v8guy; 2003 TDM900 with added bling: Nitron shock, Racetech fork internals, 17" front wheel, K&N filter, Fuel silencers, PC3, Renthal handle bar, Oxford hot hands, Polisport handguards, Scottoiler (kinda..), Baglux, Givi monorack + pannier rails
My TDM: http://www.gtv8.org/tdm/

Current: 2003 Yamaha TDM900, 2015 BMW R1200RS
Past: Honda CLR125, Honda CB500, Triumph Sprint Sport, Honda VFR750FS, Suzuki DRZ400SM, Triumph Speed Triple 955i, 2015 Honda VFR800X

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube" - HST

#2 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,754 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 05 September 2021 - 01:43 pm

Red cable into one of the connectors under the tank is a possibility, happened to a few where it corrodes and breaks, so lift the tank, not heard of many fuel pump issues but possible for sure, i've been stopped dead on my 9r just like you and it turned out to be the cam position sensor, top left of engine, swapped mine with the crank position sensor behind the front sprocket, can be used as a get you home fix but the bike will start, replaced with 2nd hand one.......... just a heads up could be summit else..

Edit...cant remember if it's called the crank position sensor but sits behind the sprocket cover...

Edited by dablik, 05 September 2021 - 01:45 pm.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#3 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 05 September 2021 - 04:27 pm

Given that the power commander has no lights, and my understanding is that a power commander interrupts the injector signal, I would assume that if there's no lights on the PC then there's no power emerging from the PC going to  the injectors, so that's what I would start with. Probe the PC power socket with a meter and check for the presence of 12V at the PC, if you've got 12V then the PC is suspect, but if you have no 12V at the PC trace back through the harness to the battery to find out why not.

If the PC is suspect, check continuity of the power wires between the plug to the body of PC itself, even opening the PC to get access to the circuit board if possible.

Doing this at least takes the PC and wiring out of the equation.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#4 v8guy

v8guy

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 05 September 2021 - 04:36 pm

Some good advice, thank you! I'm not really sure what the expected lifespan of PC should be, but I would expect a complete failure isn't particularly common. Still, checking that before the fuel pump actually makes a lot more sense, given that it's located under the seat..

v8guy; 2003 TDM900 with added bling: Nitron shock, Racetech fork internals, 17" front wheel, K&N filter, Fuel silencers, PC3, Renthal handle bar, Oxford hot hands, Polisport handguards, Scottoiler (kinda..), Baglux, Givi monorack + pannier rails

Past: Honda CLR125, Honda CB500, Triumph Sprint Sport, Honda VFR750FS, Suzuki DRZ400SM, Triumph Speed Triple 955i, 2015 Honda VFR800X

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube" - HST

#5 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,440 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 05 September 2021 - 04:51 pm

Easy check disconnect the PC connecting the original multi plugs back together and see what happens.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#6 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 05 September 2021 - 08:44 pm

Easy check disconnect the PC connecting the original multi plugs back together and see what happens.

Thats the one !

#7 v8guy

v8guy

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 01 October 2021 - 12:06 pm

Finally gotten round to investigating this today. First thing was to disconnect the PC and connect up the plugs as Yamaha intended.. this doesn't change the behaviour - still no ignition.

I did find the disconnected O2 sensor and think that didn't look right so reconnected it.. at some point around this time I got a start up light on the PC when I turned on the ignition, and indeed the bike started momentarily before stopping again, with no sign of life in the PC. It's refused to light up since.

Poking around I can see a few things:

1. the fuel pump is getting 12V, measured at the disconnected terminals under the tank

1a. disconnected the fuel pump's two connectors sent the fuel guage haywire - this seems like expected behaviour, but i don't know

2. diag mode shows error codes 11, 19, 21, 22, 30 in memory. Looking these up on JBX's site suggests some of these may be historical (eg side stand code - testing it shows it works just fine, and I vaguely recall it needed replacement once in the distant past)

Err code 30 is the lean angle sensor, which reads 0.6 - this fits with JBX's page, but I note that it does not change as I move the bike, nor does it change if I cycle through the error codes after changing teh angle of the bike.

So, in summary.. :dunno:

Any more bright ideas?

#8 v8guy

v8guy

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 01 October 2021 - 12:51 pm

Poking around some more, I found an apparently disconnected wire from the main relay connector. After exposing teh wire and stuffing it into the connector where i found what appears to be the other end of the same wire, the PC sprang into life and the engine started.. this time running for a short while before, presumably, vibration dislodged the temporary connection and the engine died again.

It's a theory, anyhow. Does anyone with a bit more knowledge about the bike's electrics think this sounds like reasonable behaviour?

Attached Files

Edited by v8guy, 01 October 2021 - 12:56 pm.

#9 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• 1,446 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 01 October 2021 - 01:34 pm

I didn't have a power commander, but exactly the same thing happened to me a couple of years ago on my old 2003 niner. Bike was running great and I stopped for a couple of hours and when I came back, it was turning over but not firing. I got it relayed home and eventually called on the services of Mr Henty to investigate. It turned out to be an intermittant earth fault from the main earth that is buried on the engine below the tank and is unreachable. He re-routed it and she burst into life. Never had an issue again.

2004 900 - Blue with lots of goodies

2012 900 - Still adding shiny bits. Was black, changed to white and now back to black again.

#10 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,358 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 01 October 2021 - 01:38 pm

So you found a broken wire, reconnected it and the bike started ok, looks like you've answered your own question there bud.

Crimp a new latch terminal to that wire, use a thin probe of some sort to release the old terminal from the plug and insert the new terminal that you crimped on and jobs a goodun.

Just a corroded wire, nice cheap fix.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#11 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 01 October 2021 - 01:40 pm

Poking around some more, I found an apparently disconnected wire from the main relay connector. After exposing teh wire and stuffing it into the connector where i found what appears to be the other end of the same wire, the PC sprang into life and the engine started.. this time running for a short while before, presumably, vibration dislodged the temporary connection and the engine died again.

It's a theory, anyhow. Does anyone with a bit more knowledge about the bike's electrics think this sounds like reasonable behaviour?

Yup, as was mentioned previously above, so that is almost certainly the fault. You can repair the wire or disconnect the PC, as per Catteeclan's suggestion above

#12 steve27bha

steve27bha

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 01 October 2021 - 02:05 pm

I think you have found the fault.  (ADD: I spent time writing this and the above replies beat me to posting)

Wires with Red as the main colour at the ECU seem to all be in the fuel injection system. See diagram 7-2 in the Work Shop manual for 2002. I think yours is the R/L (red with blue tracer).

The fault codes you saw in JBX's site are listed on page 7-4 of the same manual.

I have seen a listing of the connections on the ECU but cannot find it to refer you.

I cannot tell you exactly how to remake the joint, not having unplugged mine, but as a general guide there will be a pins in the white connector that are each retained by a tang you need to release with a fine screwdriver inserted from the connection end. You then have to connect your broken wire end to the pin either by crimping or solder - or using a new one (better). If that is beyond your abilities then strip a wee bit more insulation off the broken wire, jam it in the hole with a matchstick and ride it to an auto-electician to fix.

Good luck.

Edited by steve27bha, 01 October 2021 - 02:07 pm.

TDM900A 2008/09 in use, with     gallery_179098_391_770.jpg sml_gallery_179098_391_1145.jpg  gallery_179098_391_1206.jpg gallery_179098_391_253.jpg gallery_179098_391_82.jpg gallery_179098_391_725.gif gallery_179098_391_797.jpg gallery_179098_391_1396.jpg gallery_179098_391_501.jpg gallery_179098_391_316.jpg  gallery_179098_391_1768.jpg gallery_179098_391_106.jpggallery_179098_391_2170.jpg gallery_179098_391_1373.jpg

CBX750FE in reserve; Cagiva N90 125 now rebuilt & in use.

#13 v8guy

v8guy

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 01 October 2021 - 03:37 pm

Thanks for all your replies!  :good:

It does seem like a sane theory but I can't say conclusively that connecting that wire momentarily fixed the fault, as I couldn't repeat the trick again. Then again, it's difficult to know whether you've made a decent connection in those plastic connectors. 

I'm not sure where to find the right connectors, but I love the matchstick idea.. perfect, ta! I'll take that approach and see if it sticks, as I want to get the bike seen by a mechanic to grease the swingarm bearings and give it a general once over - once there, they can apply a permanent fix.

Cheers!

#14 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• 1,726 posts

Posted 07 October 2021 - 10:00 pm

Yeh, deffo this, It's located in a really bad place there.

My 140000 miler didn't suffer but my 98000 miler did.

Found there was no real way of fixing the broken joint so got a wiring loom from ebay off a low mileage bike to splice the connector onto my loom.

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste

(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help

(")-(") him gain world domination!

#15 PeterM91

PeterM91

seems to like Carpe

• 70 posts

Posted 10 October 2021 - 05:39 pm

Once every 2-3 years, I clean the all the connectors beneath the tank with break cleaner, if necessary clean the metal pieces with fine sanding paper and spray the whole connector with:

kroon_oil_witte_vaseline_aerosol_400_ml_

Prevents a lot of trouble :)

#16 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,440 posts

Posted 10 October 2021 - 06:23 pm

Once every 2-3 years, I clean the all the connectors beneath the tank with break cleaner, if necessary clean the metal pieces with fine sanding paper and spray the whole connector with:

kroon_oil_witte_vaseline_aerosol_400_ml_

Prevents a lot of trouble :)

NO NINER JOKES PLEASE

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#17 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 10 October 2021 - 11:28 pm

NO NINER JOKES PLEASE

dang, beaten to it again!

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#18 v8guy

v8guy

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 17 June 2022 - 05:14 pm

Crimp a new latch terminal to that wire, use a thin probe of some sort to release the old terminal from the plug and insert the new terminal that you crimped on and jobs a goodun.

Just a corroded wire, nice cheap fix.

Oh yes... it took me a while, but I have finally managed to find a replacement terminal, get it installed, put it all back together, lose a battery terminal bolt into the innards, spend an hour looking for it in 30C, sweat a lot, swear a lot... find a new terminal bolt, plug it all back together and fire it up. And yessir, the bike runs once more! :good:

Until I let the clutch lever out (in or out of gear), or put it in gear (clutch in, sidestand up or down)... at which point the engine cuts out. :rant: I think my bike wants to retire, to be honest... :hide:

First thing that came to mind was the sidestand cutout switch, so i applied some WD-40 and checked it's moving properly.. all good, moves as expected. But, given that it cuts out when releasing the clutch lever in neutral, i'm not convinced that's the root cause. Anyone have any ideas?

Edited by v8guy, 17 June 2022 - 05:20 pm.

#19 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,358 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 17 June 2022 - 05:25 pm

Bypass the switch entirely, just because it moves doesn't meat in makes a contact, symptoms say sidestand switch to me.
Ps. Just had 3 pints so errors of judgement are possible...

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#20 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,754 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 17 June 2022 - 06:38 pm

You should be able to unscrew the plate of the back of the sidestand switch, had to resolder one of mine..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users