36 replies to this topic

#21 v8guy

v8guy

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 18 June 2022 - 03:13 pm

I can try to bypass the sidestand switch, but I'm not convinced - the bike should run on the sidestand in neutral with the clutch released, no? It always did in the past.. the neutral light is illuminated, so the bike knows it's not in gear, and as noted before the behaviour is the same whether the sidestand is up or not.

I found this thread http://www.carpe-tdm...showtopic=33992 which describes some similar issue... It's not clear where the relay in question resides, but could it be in the same relay that I've just had to repair the connector? Could the repair be at fault, or could the relay have blown? 

If I do try to bypass the sidestand switch, I assume I need to replace with an open circuit, right? 

v8guy; 2003 TDM900 with added bling: Nitron shock, Racetech fork internals, 17" front wheel, K&N filter, Fuel silencers, PC3, Renthal handle bar, Oxford hot hands, Polisport handguards, Scottoiler (kinda..), Baglux, Givi monorack + pannier rails
My TDM: http://www.gtv8.org/tdm/

Current: 2003 Yamaha TDM900, 2015 BMW R1200RS
Past: Honda CLR125, Honda CB500, Triumph Sprint Sport, Honda VFR750FS, Suzuki DRZ400SM, Triumph Speed Triple 955i, 2015 Honda VFR800X

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube" - HST

#22 v8guy

v8guy

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 01 July 2022 - 05:08 pm

Finally went to have another look this morning. Stripped and cleaned the sidestand switch, no difference. Bypassed it entirely, no difference. Decided to see what diag mode revealed, and found that the sidestand switch operation didn't register there, but the neutral indicator worked ok. Checked existing error codes and found 5, probably from older faults. Decided to clear those and restart to see which persisted.. Restarted and found no error codes present. Started The Damned Moto up again and it worked fine.. Problem solved. Runs with the clutch out on the sidestand without complaint, goes into gear without an issue, cuts out when putting the stand down when in gear as expected. All good, but wtf?!

v8guy; 2003 TDM900 with added bling: Nitron shock, Racetech fork internals, 17" front wheel, K&N filter, Fuel silencers, PC3, Renthal handle bar, Oxford hot hands, Polisport handguards, Scottoiler (kinda..), Baglux, Givi monorack + pannier rails

Past: Honda CLR125, Honda CB500, Triumph Sprint Sport, Honda VFR750FS, Suzuki DRZ400SM, Triumph Speed Triple 955i, 2015 Honda VFR800X

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube" - HST

#23 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,395 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 01 July 2022 - 05:46 pm

Mon Dieu :good:

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#24 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,357 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 01 July 2022 - 05:54 pm

Is it case of so many error codes and it won't let you ride it without clearing and sorting?

Stupid technology!

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#25 v8guy

v8guy

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 01 July 2022 - 07:44 pm

It's had those errors codes for ages though.. I remember seeing them last time I used diag mode! It doesn't make much sense to me tbh, but I'm very happy to be up and running again. Next week I'll return and re-assemble the panels and take her out for a proper road test. Touch wood, she can then finally come home!

#26 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,746 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 05 July 2022 - 09:45 am

So just imagine how much a Yamaha dealer would have charged you to clear the codes and return the bike to you fixed! It goes to prove once again technology doesn’t work, its just there to go wrong and cost money.

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#27 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,357 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 05 July 2022 - 10:17 am

But it goes wrong and cost money very efficiently..... :huh:

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#28 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,792 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 05 July 2022 - 09:45 pm

So just imagine how much a Yamaha dealer would have charged you to clear the codes and return the bike to you fixed! It goes to prove once again technology doesnt work, its just there to go wrong and cost money.

Said he - on the Internet through his computer (or even - his mobile)
Lol
Bjørge

#29 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 12:40 pm

It's had those errors codes for ages though.. I remember seeing them last time I used diag mode! It doesn't make much sense to me tbh, but I'm very happy to be up and running again. Next week I'll return and re-assemble the panels and take her out for a proper road test. Touch wood, she can then finally come home!

Do you have a list of the codes to hand

I'm still curious about this, I would like to know if my bike also has this crazy 'feature'. I would have thought that if the fault has cleared and only the associated code persists that it should be possible to ride it all the same

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#30 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,440 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 06 July 2022 - 07:14 pm

I'm still curious about this, I would like to know if my bike also has this crazy 'feature'. I would have thought that if the fault has cleared and only the associated code persists that it should be possible to ride it all the same

That would be normal for a car ECM as far as I know.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#31 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 07 July 2022 - 07:52 am

That would be normal for a car ECM as far as I know.

When my car threw P0401 (EGR circuit) codes it brought on the EML after 3 starts with the code present. But it didn't prevent it from running at all.

I could clear the codes and run for a while with no code and no fault

When the fault returned it sat in the pending code queue, (for 3 start cycles before it became an EML situation) but again, it never prevented a start.

I've seen cars with pages of fault codes, relating to fuel injection, EGR, oil sensing and so on, and never prevent an attempt to start it.

It may be there are some code combinations which cause a starter lockout but I've never read about it, heard about it or experienced it for myself.

Do you know which sort of codes on a car would cause a starter lockout ?

Edited by fixitsan, 07 July 2022 - 07:53 am.

#32 v8guy

v8guy

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 07 July 2022 - 12:37 pm

Yep, I noted them down.. here:

11 - Cylinder identification sensor

19 - Sidestand switch (open circuit wire to ECU)

21 - Coolant temperature sensor

22 - Intake temperature sensor

30 - Lean cut angle cut-off switch (latch up detected)

#33 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,440 posts

Posted 07 July 2022 - 01:26 pm

When my car threw P0401 (EGR circuit) codes it brought on the EML after 3 starts with the code present. But it didn't prevent it from running at all.

I could clear the codes and run for a while with no code and no fault

When the fault returned it sat in the pending code queue, (for 3 start cycles before it became an EML situation) but again, it never prevented a start.

I've seen cars with pages of fault codes, relating to fuel injection, EGR, oil sensing and so on, and never prevent an attempt to start it.

It may be there are some code combinations which cause a starter lockout but I've never read about it, heard about it or experienced it for myself.

Do you know which sort of codes on a car would cause a starter lockout ?

Sorry Chris, I meant once the fault had cleared the vehicle would normally run again.
Some faults once fixed may require telling the ecm said part/sensor has been changed so it can relearn is parameters and won't start before this. Some EGR valves, cam position sensors.
Many land rovers will only let you drive so far after running out of adblue then you're going nowhere. :lol:

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#34 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,440 posts

Posted 07 July 2022 - 01:38 pm

Yep, I noted them down.. here:

11 - Cylinder identification sensor

19 - Sidestand switch (open circuit wire to ECU)

21 - Coolant temperature sensor

22 - Intake temperature sensor

30 - Lean cut angle cut-off switch (latch up detected)

11 would be a continue to run but once stopped wouldn't start again

19 would cut the starting motor

30 would stop the engine running and not restart.

Think I'm right with that, anyone?

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#35 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 07 July 2022 - 02:10 pm

11 would be a continue to run but once stopped wouldn't start again

19 would cut the starting motor

30 would stop the engine running and not restart.

Think I'm right with that, anyone?

Not really contesting it, just hadn't come across it before. I had to dig deep into ECU code tables for a device I used to sell to wipe EGR fault codes and prevent DPF regens (in a plug in dongle), so every day is a school day. :)

Code 30 gets a £1 bet from me !

#36 v8guy

v8guy

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 07 July 2022 - 02:35 pm

I don't know. The behaviour of the bike didn't fit so well with those codes, as far as I can see.

It'd start and run perfectly fine, but once I let the clutch out it stalled [1]. It did this regardless of whether neutral was engaged or not. It also stalled when engaging the gearbox, regardless of whether the stand was down or not, which does correspond to a failed sidestand cutout circuit.

As for code 30.. well, I wouldn't expect the bike to start at all. So, in summary.. :um:

[1] I habitually start the bike with the clutch in, for no good reason other than having owned a Triumph or two in my time!

#37 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 07 July 2022 - 04:32 pm

I don't know. The behaviour of the bike didn't fit so well with those codes, as far as I can see.

It'd start and run perfectly fine, but once I let the clutch out it stalled [1]. It did this regardless of whether neutral was engaged or not. It also stalled when engaging the gearbox, regardless of whether the stand was down or not, which does correspond to a failed sidestand cutout circuit.

As for code 30.. well, I wouldn't expect the bike to start at all. So, in summary.. :um:

[1] I habitually start the bike with the clutch in, for no good reason other than having owned a Triumph or two in my time!

Ah well, that's a £1 loss, this is why I'll never make it rich as a gambler !

I forgot you could run it some of the time ....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users