17 replies to this topic

#1 Jamesb

Jamesb

discovering Carpe

• 19 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 15 June 2022 - 12:54 pm

Hello everyone,

Recently for my 96 TDM 850 up and running and on the road after sitting in someone's garage for many years. Has 24k (km) on the clock. I fully rebuilt the carbs and am getting about 400km to a tank of gas (340ish to reserve) I have so far done about 700km's or riding and seem to have not used any oil...based on some of the oil useage stories I've heard, have I just got one of the good ones?

I want to make sure there is no petrol getting in there...I don't think so as there are no symptoms, it runs well, no smoke, doesn't smell too much when running (for a 25 year old bike) hopefully, I just got lucky.

#2 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 15 June 2022 - 01:32 pm

Are you giving it a good run before checking the level or checking from cold? I think if you do it wrong it will read lower but thought worth asking.

I would keep quiet about it to avoid putting a curse on it.

I think it was the pre 96 3VD's that were worse for oil useage.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#3 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 15 June 2022 - 02:08 pm

Are you giving it a good run before checking the level or checking from cold? I think if you do it wrong it will read lower but thought worth asking.

nah a lot of them use oil regardless of the year.  XTZ 750, TDM 850 both 3VD and 4TX and TRX 850. some use more than others do. 

Hello everyone,

Recently for my 96 TDM 850 up and running and on the road after sitting in someone's garage for many years. Has 24k (km) on the clock. I fully rebuilt the carbs and am getting about 400km to a tank of gas (340ish to reserve) I have so far done about 700km's or riding and seem to have not used any oil...based on some of the oil useage stories I've heard, have I just got one of the good ones?

I want to make sure there is no petrol getting in there...I don't think so as there are no symptoms, it runs well, no smoke, doesn't smell too much when running (for a 25 year old bike) hopefully, I just got lucky.

show us some pics of this bike please.  Where are ya located?  That is very good MPG

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#4 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,120 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 15 June 2022 - 02:38 pm

Oil use on 850 much more to do with the way it is ridden than oubt else.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#5 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 15 June 2022 - 02:40 pm

Oil use on 850 much more to do with the way it is ridden than oubt else.

yep we proved that theory to be accurate many moons ago.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

#6 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 15 June 2022 - 02:53 pm

yep we proved that theory to be accurate many moons ago.

apart from my original 4TX enjun that drank oil for fun regardless of the way it was ridden!  The replacement seems to sip oil in comparison 

#7 Jamesb

Jamesb

discovering Carpe

• 19 posts

Posted 15 June 2022 - 04:08 pm

Yeah doing it all right...usually wouldn't bother me,I think you're right, thank my lucky stars and stop worrying ;)

nah a lot of them use oil regardless of the year.  XTZ 750, TDM 850 both 3VD and 4TX and TRX 850. some use more than others do. 

show us some pics of this bike please.  Where are ya located?  That is very good MPG

Based in Germany, on the doorstep of the black forest. Perfect riding area, esp for a big twin. I bought it from an old fella who owned it since brand new. I doubt any of the 23k on the clocks were put there in anger, so she's had a gentle breaking in. I Also fully rebuilt carbs with new everything so, she's running like new.

#8 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,757 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 15 June 2022 - 04:19 pm

But,but, wait until you have done a prolonged ride up the Autobahn at warp speed, constant high revs usually see's some oil usage, so be sure, machs gut.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#9 Jamesb

Jamesb

discovering Carpe

• 19 posts

Posted 15 June 2022 - 04:37 pm

But,but, wait until you have done a prolonged ride up the Autobahn at warp speed, constant high revs usually see's some oil usage, so be sure, machs gut.

True, I haven't spanked it too badly yet. But, nice to know when driven nicely consumption isn't too bad.

#10 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,792 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 15 June 2022 - 05:00 pm

True, I haven't spanked it too badly yet. But, nice to know when driven nicely consumption isn't too bad.

I had my 3VD for 16yrs and never topped up more than 0.5L a season (~5000kms). Driving at low revs.
Bjørge

#11 JohnnyW

JohnnyW

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 15 June 2022 - 05:49 pm

I had a 98 4tx for 10 years and rarely had to top up the oil. Relax and enjoy.
Two wrongs dont make a right but three rights make a left.

#12 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,359 posts

Posted 15 June 2022 - 07:43 pm

constant high revs usually see's some oil usage, so be sure

Maybe I should go and check my oil level.... ;)

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

#13 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

full o shoite

• 2,050 posts

Posted 15 June 2022 - 10:20 pm

Indeed. I thought my old UK TDM did not use oil until I rode across Yerp at warp speed.

Nearly a litre a day when I was stretching cable....

Roll on, roll off in the gnadgery no oil loss.

400km to a tank is quite remarkable, I'm hunting for a pie and fill at 300km's, seriously hunting.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#14 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,359 posts

Posted 16 June 2022 - 06:51 am

'Kin 'ell! That's a fair gulp of the gloopy stuff to get through.

#15 Jamesb

Jamesb

discovering Carpe

• 19 posts

Posted 16 June 2022 - 07:35 am

Indeed. I thought my old UK TDM did not use oil until I rode across Yerp at warp speed.

Roll on, roll off in the gnadgery no oil loss.

400km to a tank is quite remarkable, I'm hunting for a pie and fill at 300km's, seriously hunting.

Ok good to know I should do a fast run and see haha. Yeah, I was expecting around 300. First ride I got to 290 lost my nerve and decided fill up and it only took 13.6L.

#16 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,757 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 16 June 2022 - 07:40 am

Yea on

Maybe I should go and check my oil level.... ;)

yea on yer boat probably  :lol:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#17 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,359 posts

Posted 16 June 2022 - 08:55 am

Yea on

yea on yer boat probably  :lol:

Don't even go there, 11 litres per engine from empty! :huh:

And chucks a bloody good cloud out on first throttle up after pootling at river speeds for a month or so.

#18 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

full o shoite

• 2,050 posts

Posted 16 June 2022 - 09:04 pm

'Kin 'ell! That's a fair gulp of the gloopy stuff to get through.

Pretty much my reaction when I checked after 10 hours on the motorway.. Bought a ltr at the petrol station, or being in France, station de petrul, and just kept on pouring it in. Thought I might have done it a mischief..

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users