16 replies to this topic

#1 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 18 June 2022 - 11:46 am

Here’s a bit of a puzzle for electrical wizards.

1. Bike: ‘04 TDM900
  2. Issue: When I turn the bike on all of the indicator lamps illuminate constantly - solid light, no flashing. If I operate the indicator or hazard switches nothing changes, the lamps just stay on.
  3. After a 10 miles or so the lamps start to switch on and off intermittently (random, no discernible rhythm. After another 10 miles or so everything goes back to normal operation.

So far I’ve fitted a new battery and cleaned up a few connectors (which all looked spot on BTW), but that’s made no difference.

Help! 

PS. Where is the turn signal relay located? I have a new one of those to swap in once I find out where it is.

Edited by James, 18 June 2022 - 11:47 am.

84 Honda XL600R  :)

04 TDM900  :good:

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#2 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 18 June 2022 - 11:51 am

Tried removing inspecting n cleaning LHS switchgear?

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#3 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 18 June 2022 - 01:05 pm

Tried removing inspecting n cleaning LHS switchgear?

Yep, done that. No change.

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#4 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 18 June 2022 - 06:42 pm

UPDATE

So far I’ve…

• Fitted a new battery 
  • Cleaned vital connectors
  • Cleaned the LHS switchgear
  • Fitted a new turn signal relay
  • Even tried it without the relay in

All make no difference. 

I might be making five out of two and two, but this might be a potential cause, what do you think?…

When I switch the bike on the indicators all come on but the time between turning the key and the lights coming on varies slightly. If I wait a few minutes the lights come on once the dials have finished their sweep. If I try again after a few seconds they come on almost instantly.

Does this suggest a capacitor or something is ‘in play’? Because… there’s a link wire between the turn signal relay and the main harness. It’s about 6” long and there’s a small bulge in the middle (there’s a half-sentence that should be taken out of context!), that looks like some sort of component interfering with one of the two wires.

I checked for continuity, one wire was open as expected, the other showed resistance but it varied a lot - between 13 and 155 ohms approximately. 

Might this be the cause of the light delay and possibly the issue in general?

I’ve just answered my own question by pulling the link wire - no difference  :sorry:

Edited by James, 18 June 2022 - 06:43 pm.

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#5 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 18 June 2022 - 06:44 pm

UPDATE

So far I’ve…

• Fitted a new battery 
  • Cleaned vital connectors
  • Cleaned the LHS switchgear
  • Fitted a new turn signal relay
  • Even tried it without the relay in

All make no difference. 

I might be making five out of two and two, but this might be a potential cause, what do you think?…

When I switch the bike on the indicators all come on but the time between turning the key and the lights coming on varies slightly. If I wait a few minutes the lights come on once the dials have finished their sweep. If I try again after a few seconds they come on almost instantly.

Does this suggest a capacitor or something is ‘in play’? Because… there’s a link wire between the turn signal relay and the main harness. It’s about 6” long and there’s a small bulge in the middle (there’s a half-sentence that should be taken out of context!), that looks like some sort of component interfering with one of the two wires.

I checked for continuity, one wire was open as expected, the other showed resistance but it varied a lot - between 13 and 155 ohms approximately. 

Might this be the cause of the light delay and possibly the issue in general?

I’ve just answered my own question by pulling the link wire - no difference  :sorry:

Maybe the component is an aftermarket ballast resistor, usually fitted when the bike is converted to LED indicators, so, do you have LED aftermarket indicators ?

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#6 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 18 June 2022 - 08:23 pm

Maybe the component is an aftermarket ballast resistor, usually fitted when the bike is converted to LED indicators, so, do you have LED aftermarket indicators ?

No, just the normal ones. 

Oh, I also went through the diagnostics menu thingy, everything checked out okay, no error codes, everything within expected specs as per JBX's site.  :dunno:

Edited by James, 18 June 2022 - 08:26 pm.

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#7 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 18 June 2022 - 09:17 pm

One place where all the

No, just the normal ones. 

Oh, I also went through the diagnostics menu thingy, everything checked out okay, no error codes, everything within expected specs as per JBX's site.  :dunno:

The fact that they all come on together, and start working properly together again, suggests a component where they're all connected directly together might be at fault

One place where all the indicators connect together is in the multifunction relay.

I remember seeing something on JBX's site about faulty diodes in a particular relay, this might be it.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#8 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 18 June 2022 - 10:36 pm

One place where all the

The fact that they all come on together, and start working properly together again, suggests a component where they're all connected directly together might be at fault

One place where all the indicators connect together is in the multifunction relay.

I remember seeing something on JBX's site about faulty diodes in a particular relay, this might be it.

Cheers fixitsan I’ll have a look tomorrow.

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#9 LAURENCEAUX

LAURENCEAUX

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 189 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 19 June 2022 - 10:12 am

Intermittent wires shorting/rubbing through?

#10 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 19 June 2022 - 11:03 pm

does it have an alarm fitted?

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#11 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 21 June 2022 - 07:49 am

does it have an alarm fitted?

Yes it bl**dy well does wickers, and increasingly that's where I'm thinking the problem might lie. The alarm has never been activated since I bought the bike 6 1/2 years ago - pointless things IMO and the source of all sorts of problems.

It's got me foxed at the moment so I'm taking some time-out by forgetting all about it and doing other things ... it's a well-proven problem-solving technique  ;)

Edited by James, 21 June 2022 - 07:52 am.

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#12 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 11 July 2022 - 09:41 am

Don’t be tempted to just cut the wires to the alarm, others have tried this and ended up with a dead bike, I think one guy had to then buy a complete new loom.

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#13 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 26 July 2022 - 07:28 pm

Don’t be tempted to just cut the wires to the alarm, others have tried this and ended up with a dead bike, I think one guy had to then buy a complete new loom.

Yes, I’m proceeding carefully (i.e. I haven’t done anything about it yet!  :rotflmmfao: )

Apparently you can get a plug in bypass for most alarms… but not the model of Meta thingy I have on mine. I think I’ll probably pull the loom and alarm off the bike for ease of access and set about removing the alarm from there.

Edited by James, 27 July 2022 - 06:46 pm.

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#14 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 27 July 2022 - 06:46 pm

Okay, fingers crossed, the puzzle seems to be solved and it was the alarm causing the problem  :) .

Removal was surprisingly easy after a bit of research and a couple of emails. Here's the info for future reference...

• Issues with a Meta M357T-V2 you can buy a reasonably cheap (£20 ish) bypass plug. Unplug the alarm, plug in the bypass and you're away!
  • Issues with a Meta M357T-V2:1 (the one fitted to my TDM) you simply unplug the alarm and you're good to go!

All good so far... it starts, it runs and no indicators are coming on when they shouldn't!

The usual caveat applies... it's your bike, you're responsible for what you do to it. I'm simply passing on the info I've found out that worked for me.

Edited by James, 27 July 2022 - 06:49 pm.

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#15 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 28 July 2022 - 10:21 am

Result :good:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#16 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 01 August 2022 - 02:37 pm

Simply unplug it, that's a secure alarm then. Glad you got it sorted
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#17 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 01 August 2022 - 04:50 pm

Wish mine was that easy. :lol:

2002 TDM900 Yellow

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users