#1 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 26 June 2021 - 06:38 pm

Went to Peterborough BMW to scrub in the new tyres and drink their free coffee and look at bikes.
Whilst there, I somehow got talked into a test ride of a S1000XR as I was impressed with the fancy curved radiator.

The salesman said TDM's were well out of date, Sir needed something more modern to be "on trend" and at the pinnacle of motorcycle development.

Ok I thought let's see what it's all about.
I was going to give the F900 a go, but it was booked out, so the nice gentleman suggested the big one

Handed over credit card for the security deposit and had it for up to an hour. It looked very well put together, felt slightly heavy to me, but it had the low seat option fitted.
166hp , it definitely goes very well, but I found it hard to get my head round all the menu's, modes and settings.

We spent 10 mins going through it all. He advised against sport mode in damp conditions.
I am not a fan of digital dash but it was bright and clear. Rain mode was set as it was slightly damp. On a dry bit of road I switched to standard mode and it picked up very fast, scarily fast. God knows what sport mode is like, I wasn't brave enough to go there.
Brakes are very good and it felt very planted. Hasty switch back to rain mode to tame the beast to get it back to the dealer in one piece.

Sensible head on, it's definitely far too much bike for me and with all the fancy options eSA etc the costs approached £17k.
They always say "only" before the large painful number.

Riding home on my Niner got me thinking how good it is for it's design age and how easy and forgiving it is to ride.
I'm obviously "off trend" but I think I'll stay a Luddite with old tried and tested.

Lesson learned, no more free dealer coffee.
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#2 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 26 June 2021 - 06:45 pm

The salesman said TDM's were well out of date, Sir needed something more modern to be "on trend" and at the pinnacle of motorcycle development.

Should of punched him at that point.....

If I had all the fancy modes on a bike I doubt I'd ever use any of them, I like to get on a bike and just ride it, if it's wet use less throttle, is that rocket science?

I'm sure they are a fantastic bit of kit but I think I'll stick to me old plodder of a 4tx, also I'm far too tight for that sort of cash!

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#3 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts

Posted 26 June 2021 - 06:56 pm

Must admit to fancying a go at that bike myself, it's just far too much money.

Especially when you're still enjoying a TDM.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#4 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 26 June 2021 - 06:56 pm

It's ride by wire so a lot of it is dealer only service I expect. There is a very tiny delay from moving throttle to it actually doing it.
I had no intention of test riding a bike today, so they must drug the coffee.
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#5 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 26 June 2021 - 06:57 pm

Went to Peterborough BMW to scrub in the new tyres and drink their free coffee and look at bikes.
Whilst there, I somehow got talked into a test ride of a S1000XR as I was impressed with the fancy curved radiator.

Ok I thought let's see what it's all about.
I was going to give the F900 a go, but it was booked out, so the nice gentleman suggested the big one

Handed over credit card for the security deposit and had it for up to an hour. It looked very well put together, felt slightly heavy to me, but it had the low seat option fitted.
166hp , it definitely goes very well, but I found it hard to get my head round all the menu's, modes and settings.

We spent 10 mins going through it all. He advised against sport mode in damp conditions.
I am not a fan of digital dash but it was bright and clear. Rain mode was set as it was slightly damp. On a dry bit of road I switched to standard mode and it picked up very fast, scarily fast. God knows what sport mode is like, I wasn't brave enough to go there.
Brakes are very good and it felt very planted. Hasty switch back to rain mode to tame the beast to get it back to the dealer in one piece.

Sensible head on, it's definitely far too much bike for me and with all the fancy options eSA etc the costs approached £17k.
They always say "only" before the large painful number.

Riding home on my Niner got me thinking how good it is for it's design age and how easy and forgiving it is to ride.
I'm obviously "off trend" but I think I'll stay a Luddite with old tried and tested.

Lesson learned, no more free dealer coffee.

Grandson has an XR I had a ride on it but miss the torque of the TDM he has also ridden the naked BMW F900 twin and loved it reckons it could qualify as a pimped up 900 TDM

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#6 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 26 June 2021 - 06:59 pm

Must admit to fancying a go at that bike myself, it's just far too much money.

Just go do it, you will come away slightly dazed needing clean skiddys.

#7 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 26 June 2021 - 08:43 pm

Nice bike, Sidey's got one and it was like a missile.  Prolly encourages one to open it up having all that power.  Latest Gs's aren't far behind in the bhp department and offer a better touring bike imho.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#8 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 27 June 2021 - 09:54 am

Clearly they don't know TDM riders well enough, if they'd thrown in a slice of cake with the coffee they'd probably have had a sale  :D

Is that screen standard on them now?  I somehow looks a lot more angular than the older ones, now sure if they've restyled them or it's just the screen making it look different.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#9 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 27 June 2021 - 10:18 am

I gotta say the front of that thing looks ghastly to me.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#10 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 27 June 2021 - 11:19 am

Clearly they don't know TDM riders well enough, if they'd thrown in a slice of cake with the coffee they'd probably have had a sale  :D

Is that screen standard on them now?  I somehow looks a lot more angular than the older ones, now sure if they've restyled them or it's just the screen making it look different.

The pincers have grown a bit longer and the screen is in the extended position by the looks of it. Also looks like the red one has a full fairing.  Here's Sideys bike next to a familiar mk1. :D

Attached File  Sideysbeaut.jpg   147.21KB   0 downloads

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#11 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• 1,176 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 27 June 2021 - 02:39 pm

Seat looks comfy - not  :P  

#12 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 27 June 2021 - 06:25 pm

They are rocket ships aren't they Lee? I had a go on the previous model when I had a local BM dealer, it's a real licence loser! 160hp if I remember correctly. I know I couldn't keep up with Sidey on his on a trip to Scotland a few years back when I was on the Crosstourer :blink: . 

The salesman's line about the TDMs being well out of date is true, if technology is your thing. But motorbikes aren't like televisions, not many people have a gigantic CRT TV taking over a corner of their lounge because they like the classic looks, picture quality and lack of gizmos, but on motorbikes, it's a valid choice to have the simpler alternative. 

I'm thinking of trading the Crosstourer in for either a BMW900XR, a Tracer9, or the Triumph Tiger 900 sometime in the next year, all are techy alternatives to the TDM in my opinion.

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#13 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 27 June 2021 - 07:58 pm

Yeah, he left me for dust when I was on my mk1, but my rear tyre lasts a lot longer than his. :lol:

How about the Guzzi V85TT Chris ?  bit loike a TDM with shaft drive.  Not sure what Euro compliant level it is though and it seems more cities are introducing limits on non compliant vehicles.

#14 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 27 June 2021 - 08:47 pm

Yeah, he left me for dust when I was on my mk1, but my rear tyre lasts a lot longer than his. :lol:

How about the Guzzi V85TT Chris ?  bit loike a TDM with shaft drive.  Not sure what Euro compliant level it is though and it seems more cities are introducing limits on non compliant vehicles.

Yes, the Crosstourer has a fondness for tyres too, bizarrely it wears out the front as fast as the rear  :unsure2:  That's down to the weight I think.

The Guzzi is a great looking bike :wub: , but I was after a bit more power and I'm not fussed about shaft drive. I'm unlikely to be commuting much more, so I can choose something for fun & touring rather than having to be sensible. The Crosstourer is certainly fun, but she's a big girl and takes some pushing through the corners. After a day out on the twisties my upper body is aching all over  :rotflmmfao:  

Edited by Matlock, 28 June 2021 - 09:02 pm.

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#15 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts

Posted 27 June 2021 - 09:12 pm

I've already had 3 speeding tickets so far this year, don't think I should be looking at fast bikes :D

2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

#16 mh1848

mh1848

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 29 June 2021 - 11:39 am

i had one of these out for test - very nice and unHarley like - no vibes and turns corners

Attached Files

TDM 1991 - two into one micron mated with a A16 Road and Race Supplies Stainless short can - Conti Road Attacks - Kagazume Wavy Rear Disc - Bagster tank cover - homemade sheepskin seat cover on top of custom seat cover - NonFango topbox on homemade mount - custom fusebox - very loud airhorn and cyclone alarm

#17 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 12:51 pm

It's a slippery slope to Harley.

#18 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 01:12 pm

I think those they look ok, what's the build quality and finish like?  On some Harleys they seem seem to expect owners to replace everything with shinier after market bits, but I would guess thats not the  demographic they're aiming the Pan America at. 

Surprised by the lack of vibes comment though, I took a Buell Ulysses for a test ride some years back and at tickover the indicators bounced up and down :D

#19 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 05:41 pm

That Pan America is a good first effort from Harley imho.  Looks to be top heavy but it's lighter than the Honda Crosstourer.  Prolly not for the short arsed amongst us, ie moi.

#20 mh1848

mh1848

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 02 July 2021 - 01:26 pm

I think those they look ok, what's the build quality and finish like?  On some Harleys they seem seem to expect owners to replace everything with shinier after market bits, but I would guess thats not the  demographic they're aiming the Pan America at. 

Surprised by the lack of vibes comment though, I took a Buell Ulysses for a test ride some years back and at tickover the indicators bounced up and down :D

extremely smooth and 150BHP  - noticeable difference between road and sport mode - it can shift  - never tried any of the off-road modes - excellent suspension - and i took my Buell Ulysses down to pick it up for test drive so i can speak authoritatively on vibes or complete lack of - and for what it is a good price point - but they limit imports to keep demand high and second hand prices high - and from my inspection good build quality and finish

That Pan America is a good first effort from Harley imho.  Looks to be top heavy but it's lighter than the Honda Crosstourer.  Prolly not for the short arsed amongst us, ie moi.

the special has an automatic electronic lowering kit so short arses don't fall over

Edited by mh1848, 02 July 2021 - 01:26 pm.

TDM 1991 - two into one micron mated with a A16 Road and Race Supplies Stainless short can - Conti Road Attacks - Kagazume Wavy Rear Disc - Bagster tank cover - homemade sheepskin seat cover on top of custom seat cover - NonFango topbox on homemade mount - custom fusebox - very loud airhorn and cyclone alarm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users