• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 nakeddivy

nakeddivy

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 61 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:01 am

Just checked the hard-drive and RAM and both come thru ok, where or how can I download Windows 7? I have the oem code number,

Ta

Which tests did you run on the HDD and the RAM and was it the RAM that you swapped out or the stuff that came with the computer that passed the test?

If you have the serial number then that's really all you need apart from, do you know which licence type its for? ie/ Retail fancy box version with limited support or OEM disc and licence sticker and your on your own type? if so then you can just borrow and use a friends windows 7 install disc so long as its of the same licence type, most licences sold along with older machines are OEM.

You could download a genuine install disc image from newsgroups or similar if you can find one and Its all good so long as you use your genuine license code when actually installing and activating it, downloading a copy in my opinion is not without its risks unless you know what your looking for and wouldn't really recommend doing that. PM me your details and I will send you a copy of an install disc.

Did you get any install discs for your motherboard chipset, Wireless LAN, graphics card, sound cards, PCI/PCI-e cards etc.? Windows 7 is usually very good at identifying hardware and has built in drivers for loads of older kit but sometimes you can come unstuck after a fresh install on some machines if it didn't detect the wired or wireless LAN card then you cant actually get online to download any drivers then so I would recommend you have your drivers saved on discs or USB pen or HDD for safe keeping first before you start. Aida64 may help you identify your hardware if you are unsure http://www.aida64.com/downloads

2GB of RAM may probably be the maximum your socket 478 motherboard can actually support so there may be no way to add any more. How many sticks of RAM and available slots do you have? most motherboards of this age will normally only support 512MB DDR PC2700 or PC3200 per slot maximum and some older boards don't run very well and have issues with all four the RAM slots populated. If you can identify your motherboard manufacturer and model (its normally printed on the motherboard close to the main 12V socket somewhere) and also on the labels on the sticks of RAM then I would look it up on www.crucial.com/uk and see what it will support. 2GB RAM will be just fine with your hardware for windows 7 for general office and browsing type stuff providing your not expecting too much. Due to the age of the computer I would recommend you install the 32bit version of windows 7 ultimate as your hardware is a bit too old to make use of the 64bit version. Your licence code will let you install either 32 or 64bit but not both at the same time.

Edited by nakeddivy, 19 August 2014 - 01:22 am.

#22 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:20 am

Just checked the hard-drive and RAM and both come thru ok, where or how can I download Windows 7? I have the oem code number,

Ta

PTB - do you have a OEM code for Win7 or is it the Vista code you mention above?

Need to know what version of Win 7 the code relates to and I can probably get you a link to download from.

MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#23 TYREDNGRUMPEE

TYREDNGRUMPEE

has been here 4ever

• 1,627 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:18 pm

Are you running 64 bit Windows 7?

Did you update your system after you bought it on the 16th?

Only ask because Microsoft are rolling back their August 12th update because many users of 64 Win 7 have been reporting blue screens.

here http://www.techsuppo...ust-updates.htm

here http://www.zdnet.com...all-7000032678/

This is most likely at the root of your problem and not hardware related.

Somehow I managed to avoid any snags.  :dunno:

Go to system update or follow the rollback instructions.

don't mention it  :banana:

Edited by TYREDNGRUMPEE, 19 August 2014 - 07:26 pm.

#24 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:51 pm

Doubt it's 64bit on due to age of CPU, but may be wrong...

MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#25 TYREDNGRUMPEE

TYREDNGRUMPEE

has been here 4ever

• 1,627 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:00 pm

Just its onboard graphics mate, and just had to re-boot after it freezing for the fourth time in 4 days.

Ta

Did the same with a graphics card in so i took it out to try

Doubt it's 64bit on due to age of CPU, but may be wrong...

So I notice that on August the 16th, the computer had frozen for the 4th time in four days.

Mmm. 16th - 4days = 12th?

Walks like duck, quacks like duck

It's probably too late now, but if you are able to use System Restore, I'd roll it back to late July and then suck up the amended Microsoft updates.

I'm switching off  Windows auto updates. I suffered the BSOD on my otherwise rock solid system after the last round of July updates. I'll update manually from now on. Let others go before me. (good job I image my system every week)

EDIT / As of August 20th there were still no amended updates. There were so many issues across different parts of  Win7 and Win8 that it wasn't a simple fix.

Edited by TYREDNGRUMPEE, 21 August 2014 - 06:58 pm.

#26 PassTheBuck

PassTheBuck

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:16 pm

Hi  guys, thanks for all of your replies but unfortunately the system has gone tits-up. Tried to install my copy of XP but after a while it comes up with " there is a disc- read error" and prompts me to re-start time and time again. I wiped the original hard drive before installing so I'm fooked. I'll have to save a bit to get a new system me thinks.

Thanks for all your support fellas, much apprreciated

PTB

#27 PassTheBuck

PassTheBuck

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:25 pm

Hi dmmsta, I have the Vista code for the machine but someone has obviously installed Win 7 ultimate a ta later date.

#28 PassTheBuck

PassTheBuck

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:58 pm

I'm on our lass's laptop if anyone was puzzled lol

#29 nakeddivy

nakeddivy

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 61 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:49 pm

Hi  guys, thanks for all of your replies but unfortunately the system has gone tits-up. Tried to install my copy of XP but after a while it comes up with " there is a disc- read error" and prompts me to re-start time and time again. I wiped the original hard drive before installing so I'm fooked. I'll have to save a bit to get a new system me thinks.

Thanks for all your support fellas, much apprreciated

PTB

Hi there.

Just to clarify, is it Disk or Disc read error that appears on screen?

At what point during the install does this appear? Is the error displayed in white text on a black background just after you switch it on? It sounds just like the computer has not booted from the install disc in the optical drive and instead sees the now empty hard drive as the boot device and tells you that it cant read it.

Are you sure you have selected the Optical drive (DVD or CD) as the first boot device from the boot menu? If you have two optical drives, try booting with the install disc in each one, only one will be set as the first boot device.

With an Windows install disc in the optical drive, switch the computer off and back on again and quickly, press and hold the F12 key on your keyboard, use the up down arrows to select your Optical drive from the list that appears, it may be listed as CDROM or DVDROM might have its brand and model listed, choose it and press enter.

When the computer restarts you should see 'press any key to bood from cd' appear briefly on the screen, press any key you want and it should start the process of copying files off the disc prior to install. Only press any key to boot from CD when prompted just the first time, the computer will restart a few times during the install of the OS but if you press a key when prompted more than once you will just go round in circles.

Does both your hard drive and optical drive appear to be detected and listed in the BIOS? You can normally find them both listed in either the main menu or boot menu depending on bios manufacturer. To load your BIOS menu the correct function key to press to gain access will normally be displayed briefly on the screen when the computer is switched on, just like the F12 key above brings up the boot menu on most motherboards, F1, F2, Del, Delete, Esc, F10 are popular for BIOS access. If you make changes in here to the order of bootable devives I would recommend on this age of maching setting to Floppy,CDROM,HDD in that order.

If you need a Vista install disc let me know.

Hope that helps.

#30 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• 1,726 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:09 pm

Hi Adam, it had Windows 7 installed mate

There's your problem.

Install Peppermint 5 and you'll wonder why you ever used windross.

Seeing as how it's all gone a bit pete tong you've nothing to loose by trying Linux.

Edited by celticbiker, 21 August 2014 - 11:12 pm.

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste

(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help

(")-(") him gain world domination!

#31 PassTheBuck

PassTheBuck

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:09 am

Cheers bud but dmmsta has got me sorted hopefully but i'll take it onboard.

#32 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:51 pm

If you're still having problems and are in the Preston, Lancs area I'd be happy to help?

Also don't forget that XP loads drivers not in the install in via floppy disk. You are prompted part way through the install to say if you are using drivers on a floppy.

#33 PassTheBuck

PassTheBuck

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 04:06 pm

Youre all great guys on here as with the other forum I frequent now and then, must be a biker thing so many many thanks for all your help guys. :good:  :good:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users