• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 akirasan

akirasan

really likes Carpe

• 81 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 29 August 2017 - 08:28 am

I was marshalling at the Silverstone Moto GP last weekend.

Rode from Leicester down the A5 and got behind a few sports bikes riding ok but not fast and very poor road positioning.

At a set of light I went to the front and shot off down the road looking in my mirror I can see an R1approching and goes straight by me on the straight.

I gave chase and followed him - a classic all the gear but no idea.

He should have left me for dead and as we came to a sweeping bend he does the classic 'I cant ride' and while keeping the bike upright he leans his body to the left and sticks his knee out.

WTF

While behind him I can see how shiny his chicken strips are.

On the way home following another sports bike two up driving ok I overtook him at *20 and he took a while to catch up I slow down and you guessed it waits until a straight then woosh.

I follow and go by him on the bends and through traffic no response until the next straight........woosh

At a roundabout he wobbles to a halt and slowly goes ahead while I turn right.

While some of you reading this may say I am bragging about my riding I find it odd that so many people buy sports bikes to pose. They cannot ride well and are unsafe on the road.

I always judge a riders abilities by the tyres.

Chicken strips are a sure sign but there are those that have tyres all melted for the fast look.

These are either used track tyres or are under inflated and are overheating so yet more posing.

I have always been a believer in riding a bike instead of just sitting on it.

#2 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 29 August 2017 - 09:11 am

For me, there are those who race or take it to the track and are generally also capable riders on the road (although some may not be good at road hazard perception).

Then there are those who like to make progress without endangering themselves or others - in my experience these riders have luggage fitted or luggage capable bikes, eat cake, have no chicken strips (except at KFC) on at least one tyre, rides smoothly & the rider does lots of miles in all conditions. These riders take almost every opportunity to advance.

Personally I'm always wary of power/\/\rangers as some do sunny Sundays and therefore limited miles (UK). Some PWRs rocket past only to get in the way at the next corner if they don't get in the way then normally they disappear into the blue yonder. They have a right to be there so I either keep passing them or wait for them to pull enough time down the straight bits so they only become a factor every 10 mins or so.

Not condemning or advocating any-  just observation over the years.

Edited by Favs, 29 August 2017 - 09:18 am.

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#3 Latestarter

Latestarter

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 29 August 2017 - 09:51 am

For me, there are those who race or take it to the track and are generally also capable riders on the road (although some may not be good at road hazard perception).

Then there are those who like to make progress without endangering themselves or others - in my experience these riders have luggage fitted or luggage capable bikes, eat cake, have no chicken strips (except at KFC) on at least one tyre, rides smoothly & the rider does lots of miles in all conditions. These riders take almost every opportunity to advance.

Personally I'm always wary of power/\/\rangers as some do sunny Sundays and therefore limited miles (UK). Some PWRs rocket past only to get in the way at the next corner if they don't get in the way then normally they disappear into the blue yonder. They have a right to be there so I either keep passing them or wait for them to pull enough time down the straight bits so they only become a factor every 10 mins or so.

Yep that's me :good:

Edited by Latestarter, 29 August 2017 - 09:52 am.

2003 TDM900 in Galaxy Blue with 32k on the clock

Scottolier, TDM Gel Saddle, Blue HEL Brake Line Upgrade Feeding Blue Spot Callipers. Air Intake Mod,

Oxford Heated Grips, Polisport Handguards, RM-G Crash bars & Centre Stand, Givi
Touring & Double Bubble Screens, Bar Risers, Renthal 755 Riser Bars,
Givi E22N Panniers & Top Box, Clear Indicator Lens Conversation, Clear LED Rear Light Conversion, Mirror Extenders, TDM Stainless Radiator Cover and Stainless Screen Screws, SP Performance Carbon Tri-Oval Cans,
HID Headlight Upgrade, DRL Spotlights and Still Spending But Dont Tell The Wife!!

#4 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 01:17 pm

You can always sand the strips off :P

My problem is having to replace tyres with loads of tread down the middle and bald on the outer. 

I agree when going to meet places like rivi barn you see them out on a sunny sunday afternoon. Saw one a few months back blatted it down the straights. Sadly  he dropped it on a bend. 

#5 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 29 August 2017 - 05:48 pm

I sand me chicken strips, dont you all  :huh: 

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#6 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 06:00 pm

Angle grinder to knee-sliders..............

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#7 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 29 August 2017 - 08:49 pm

Angle grinder to knee-sliders..............

Ya noticed huh :D

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#8 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• 2,049 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 31 August 2017 - 10:42 am

Yeah. The more time I have invested in training and practice to be safe on the road the thinner my chicken strips have become. I've been sans chicken strips for a few years now. The consequence of learning to ride safer. Go figure?

Oh, the TDM is totally the weapon of choice up to go to jail speeds. It keeps up with most bikes most everywhere.

Edited by harvey krumpet, 31 August 2017 - 10:48 am.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#9 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,508 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 31 August 2017 - 03:26 pm

I remember reading on here that the concept was for the TDM to be a tallroader so it would need less lean in cornering and so do it better.
1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#10 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• 2,049 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 01 September 2017 - 07:22 am

Dunno about betterer.

You can remove the hero knobs and still lift a peg but if you hit a bump you're screwed.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users