#4061 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,758 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 24 May 2020 - 06:46 am

Andy what is the advantage of camcoating the piston skirts (steady on you 900 riders) ?

double coat on skirts (solid-film plus dry-film) lubricants for reduced friction and retention of wet oils.

the measured specs were literary borderline so cheaper option than buying new pistons

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#4062 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,754 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 24 May 2020 - 07:27 am

Yes, quaint little island we have, used to get a lot of visitors at one time, I think King Haraldr Hardrádi of Norway came to visit in 1066 and was stopped at boarder control  :rotflmmfao:  :hide: 

:rotflmmfao: :rotflmmfao:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#4063 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 24 May 2020 - 08:29 am

That's the one. 46% vol. And smooth as......struggling to find a Welsh smooth thing for comparison.....but, nice!

A sheep sheared with electrolysis?

They'd be pretty smooth... and you could also use it for comparison to New Zealand whiskey, too.

Edited by SeizedBalt, 24 May 2020 - 08:30 am.

#4064 Norwegian

Norwegian

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 162 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 24 May 2020 - 09:35 am

Yes, quaint little island we have, used to get a lot of visitors at one time, I think King Haraldr Hardrádi of Norway came to visit in 1066 and was stopped at boarder control  :rotflmmfao:[/size]  :hide:[/size] [/size]

Harold Godwinson certainly put an end to our benign shopping trips and cultural exchange up there at Stamford.

And then, of course, William the Conqueror enrolled you in the EU only weeks later, and you were lost to us forever. Ah well.

2002 TDM 900 Red/Yellow Cocktail (it's yellow)., biggified some

#4065 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,395 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 24 May 2020 - 07:05 pm

Put the, recently washed, sheepskin back on the seat over the AirHawk. Kicked the tyres ready for Tuesday meet with Musty Diller - Hero of the Strong White :good: .

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#4066 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 24 May 2020 - 07:41 pm

:good:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#4067 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,395 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 26 May 2020 - 01:06 pm

Used it to meet up Studley. Had a general chitchat and excellent bacon & sausage sandwiches supplied by SR topped with a (at your table monsieur), freshly fried egg.

Quite a few turned up after us at the Green Hut inc. the owner (who offered us tea even though the cafe was closed  :good: ). various bikes - rattly Ducati, Yamaha Niken, Kawasaki W800, Honda Africa Twin auto, Triumph Tiger,  a couple of Honda Deauvilles and 1x TDM 850 1x TDM 900

3kilos of white powder changed hands and we had a steady ride through Clumber Park via Limetree Avenue (the longest lime-tree avenue in Europe). Cheer SR - my turn next time.

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#4068 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 02:30 pm

I started it up after 14 months of no use. The battery was so flat it didn't even run the LCD clock. but 24 hours on a 1Amp charge and it fired up on the first attempt. The starter didn't spin as quickly as it could do but it was good enough (Lucas battery).

If I disconnect the charger, will the battery self discharge quickly ? I think it might, but who knows !

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#4069 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 02:36 pm

Used it to meet up Studley. Had a general chitchat and excellent bacon & sausage sandwiches supplied by SR topped with a (at your table monsieur), freshly fried egg.

Quite a few turned up after us at the Green Hut inc. the owner (who offered us tea even though the cafe was closed  :good: ). various bikes - rattly Ducati, Yamaha Niken, Kawasaki W800, Honda Africa Twin auto, Triumph Tiger,  a couple of Honda Deauvilles and 1x TDM 850 1x TDM 900

3kilos of white powder changed hands and we had a steady ride through Clumber Park via Limetree Avenue (the longest lime-tree avenue in Europe). Cheer SR - my turn next time.

An enjoyable morning out. :)  Freshly fried eggs were great. :good: Weather was spot on too. Looks like ownership of the Green Hut has changed hands since last year.  Really pleasant new owners, told us they'd sold out of supplies on Monday it was that busy.  Glad we met up Tuesday.  Enjoy the white powder Favs. ;)

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#4070 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,253 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area

Posted 26 May 2020 - 02:50 pm

Enjoy the white powder Favs. ;)

Did it come with free straws? :hide:

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#4071 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 04:45 pm

No straws, no credit cards either. :D  I did, however, receive a small slab of a resinous gooey like quality.  Turned out to be fruit flapjack. :cake eating: 

#4072 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,792 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 26 May 2020 - 05:40 pm

I started it up after 14 months of no use. The battery was so flat it didn't even run the LCD clock. but 24 hours on a 1Amp charge and it fired up on the first attempt. The starter didn't spin as quickly as it could do but it was good enough (Lucas battery).

If I disconnect the charger, will the battery self discharge quickly ? I think it might, but who knows !

To my experience it keeps charge but has lousy capacity - works until one cold morning....😎
Bjørge

#4073 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 07:48 pm

To my experience it keeps charge but has lousy capacity - works until one cold morning....

Absolutely .....I think I might get through summer if I'm lucky. I was just surprised that it went from below 5V to enough to turn over in the first place.  !

#4074 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,089 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 27 May 2020 - 05:44 pm

Put a set of new mirrors on it.
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#4075 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,792 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 07:52 pm

Absolutely .....I think I might get through summer if I'm lucky. I was just surprised that it went from below 5V to enough to turn over in the first place.  !

Maybe remaining 5V is enough to survive. I dunno what's the limit for intelligent chargers to actually recognise there's a battery attached to the end of the wires and start charging?

Edited by Bjørge, 27 May 2020 - 07:53 pm.

Bjørge

#4076 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 08:27 pm

Maybe remaining 5V is enough to survive. I dunno what's the limit for intelligent chargers to actually recognise there's a battery attached to the end of the wires and start charging?

They all vary, normally anything below 10V, for a sustained period is deadly, because of the growth of lead sulphate crystals, which it must definitely have..

It started well enough this morning, a bit slow, but, probably if it doesn't start quickly and I need to keep cranking it will fall away rapidly

Intelligent chargers I think operate in the 10V -11V range, although, I've had success previously with a 16V supply onto a 12V battery, but with the current limited to just 100mA and left alone like that for a week. It got a few more months out of it anyway.

I'm going to need a battery, but I was just happy it started first time considering it's old fuel and it's been outside all winter with just a basic cover over it :)

#4077 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,792 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 05:32 am

..or the "crack it" method if you have a lab supply and crank up voltage until it overcomes the insulation that has formed. I have succeeded with this, but the battery was stil not in very good condition. Saved that day, though 😎
Bjørge

#4078 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 08:21 am

..or the "crack it" method if you have a lab supply and crank up voltage until it overcomes the insulation that has formed. I have succeeded with this, but the battery was stil not in very good condition. Saved that day, though

That's the idea behind using 16V and very low current, the acid slowly redissolves the sulphate crystals.

#4079 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 28 May 2020 - 01:51 pm

Replaced my rear disc and pads, bled and replaced
brake fluid...Shiny!

20200527_191705_zpsaklxxu1q.jpg

20200528_121704_zpsrc5jjv4y.jpg

20200528_132438_zpsuergvb0q.jpg

Oh, and ordered a new lid, gloves and boots.

#4080 gautrek

gautrek

seems to like Carpe

• 71 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 28 May 2020 - 03:51 pm

I started taking the fairing off with 1 1/2 hands. Broken collar bone. SWMBO caught me and banned me from the garage :(

Edited by gautrek, 28 May 2020 - 03:51 pm.

Interested in very very old bikes with the ocasional newish one thrown in.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)