• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 rccarlson22

rccarlson22

discovering Carpe

• 10 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 22 April 2020 - 01:38 pm

Hello fellow two wheel enthusiasts. I in fact, do not own a complete TDM. I have a dream.

Years ago I bought a 1996 Kawasaki KLX 650, for those unfamiliar, its like the KLRs more badass older brother. Inverted forks, a slightly more powerful engine, and less weight. A couple years ago the engine (after ALOT of use and the occasional wheelie) gave out. So I put it in the shed and left it for awhile. Then I had the idea to swap in a more powerful engine but didnt know what to use. A member of another motorcycle forum offered up his TDM 850 engine that he acquired for a project but never used. Score!

So here I am, engine in hand but I need some miscellaneous parts to get it running. Ive already turned the crank by hand no problem. The head and valves are all straight. I know Im missing carbs, wiring loom, exhaust, and the rectifier I believe.

Ill uncrate the engine and take pics along with the KLX so you can see what Im getting into. The goal is to have 70HP and 70ft lbs in a dual sport.
I forgot to put that it is a 1992 TDM 850 engine

#2 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,118 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 22 April 2020 - 01:51 pm

Mega. Good luck with it.

Rectumfrier and exhaust shouldn't be too much bother ..a loom might take a bit of searching.

...and welcome.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#3 Alekre

Alekre

sticking around

• 31 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 22 April 2020 - 01:58 pm

Hey, welcome to the forum!

There is some guy who installed Versys 650 into KLR . Maybe u can find it and study a bit so u can get some basic ideas.

Anyway, as u can see TDMs engine is forward inclined noticeably. I guess 21inch wheel would have problem with clearance. Plus there is radiator to be mounted that will take space. 

For sure, noone of projects like this are easy to build but that is what add value to such work and motorcycles. Good luck!ž

Sorry for crappy english.

Edited by Alekre, 22 April 2020 - 01:59 pm.

#4 rccarlson22

rccarlson22

discovering Carpe

• 10 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 02:27 pm

Yes this is a mega project, but the old girl deserves new life.

Ill keep yall updated on progress as it happens. Ive already got the carbs and wiring found actually. I dont want to purchase exhaust until I mock up the engine in the KLX frame and see what my clearances are like. Radiator is another part to figure out what were going to do with.

#5 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 4,676 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 02:41 pm

Need to find out if the 850 engine is from a mk1 or mk2. The mk1 has a 360 degree crank and mk2 has a 270 crank, so things like the ECU are different

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#6 rccarlson22

rccarlson22

discovering Carpe

• 10 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 02:42 pm

How to I determine if its MK1 or MK2?

#7 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,118 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 22 April 2020 - 02:46 pm

I am guessing you is a Merkin....so it will be a MK1. Will have 3VD at start of enjun number.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#8 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,395 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 22 April 2020 - 02:55 pm

Hey, welcome to the forum!

There is some guy who installed Versys 650 into KLR . Maybe u can find it and study a bit so u can get some basic ideas.

Anyway, as u can see TDMs engine is forward inclined noticeably. I guess 21inch wheel would have problem with clearance. Plus there is radiator to be mounted that will take space. 

For sure, noone of projects like this are easy to build but that is what add value to such work and motorcycles. Good luck!ž

Sorry for crappy english.

Not crappy.

@ rccarlson22 Hi & good luck with the project.

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#9 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 03:31 pm

How to I determine if its MK1 or MK2?

Easy way is to remove both spark plugs and use  paper straws inserted into the bores  so that one straw  sits on each piston top and see where they synch.

A 180 degree crank has the pistons in opposition, a 360 degree crank has both pistons at TDC at the same time, and 270 degree crank has #2 piston 90 degrees behind #1, like in this animation 

https://en.wikipedia...haft_angles.gif

Edited by fixitsan, 22 April 2020 - 03:32 pm.

#10 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,754 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 05:07 pm

Well you already said in the 1st post it's a 92................so it's a 3vd innit....if your Merkin you may well be purchasing from Europe, good luck, post pics please..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#11 rccarlson22

rccarlson22

discovering Carpe

• 10 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 06:01 pm

I am guessing you is a Merkin....so it will be a MK1. Will have 3VD at start of enjun number.

Yep I am from Murica.

It is a 3VD

Well you already said in the 1st post it's a 92................so it's a 3vd innit....if your Merkin you may well be purchasing from Europe, good luck, post pics please..

I bought it from a British fella that had it imported I believe

Ill get pics once my brother comes help me offload it from my trailer, for some reason I dont own a hand truck

This forum is a bit different and Im on mobile how do I upload pics?

Edited by rccarlson22, 22 April 2020 - 06:03 pm.

#12 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 22 April 2020 - 07:36 pm

Hi and welcome.  Regarding pics, first off I'll say that as a member you can only upload a few small sized pics, supporting members can upload up to 50MB of pics.  It costs £5 to become a supporting member.

Alternatively, you can link to photos posted up on another site like photobucket or similar.

For posting up photos onto here, click on the more reply options button below the text box, you'll then see the attach files browse button.  Select the pics you want to upload.  Then click the attach this file button to upload the pics. Then place the cursor where you want the pic to go and hit the Add to Post clicky thing.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#13 rccarlson22

rccarlson22

discovering Carpe

• 10 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 03:25 am

Hi and welcome.  Regarding pics, first off I'll say that as a member you can only upload a few small sized pics, supporting members can upload up to 50MB of pics.  It costs £5 to become a supporting member.

Alternatively, you can link to photos posted up on another site like photobucket or similar.

For posting up photos onto here, click on the more reply options button below the text box, you'll then see the attach files browse button.  Select the pics you want to upload.  Then click the attach this file button to upload the pics. Then place the cursor where you want the pic to go and hit the Add to Post clicky thing.

Thank you. Hopefully I can get it together so I can share the progress with yall.

#14 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 08:44 am

Ah.....the appearance of that info leads me to think Im drinking too much under lockdown....how did I miss it ! ? hic

#15 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,754 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 04:51 pm

Ah.....the appearance of that info leads me to think Im drinking too much under lockdown....how did I miss it ! ? hic

:lol: i wondered....

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#16 rccarlson22

rccarlson22

discovering Carpe

• 10 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 06:45 pm

Heres a link to photos on another thread

https://www.motohous...074#post4194074
From what I can tell I will need:

1. Carbs
2. Wiring Harness
3 Spark plug wires
4. Radiator/plumbing
5. Clutch Cable
6. Shift Lever
7.Exhaust

Thats all I got if you see something I missed fill it in

#17 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 24 April 2020 - 09:36 am

Oil tank

ecu

coil

Sprocket cover

Reg/Rec

Battery

Throttle and cables.

Choke cable.

Also, not sure how you're gonna set up the speedo ?  Mk1 uses a cable conected to the front wheel.  Dunno if yours is mechanical or electrical.  Might then need the instruments.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#18 rccarlson22

rccarlson22

discovering Carpe

• 10 posts

Posted 24 April 2020 - 01:23 pm

Does anyone have a decent exploded parts diagram from a manual? I may just end up buying a manual if I can find one

#19 rccarlson22

rccarlson22

discovering Carpe

• 10 posts

Posted 24 April 2020 - 01:46 pm

Plenty of 4TX ecus available, would that part work or needs to be a 3VD ecu?

#20 rccarlson22

rccarlson22

discovering Carpe

• 10 posts

Posted 24 April 2020 - 02:42 pm

Alrighty!

Got an ecu, wiring harness, recitifer, and ignition coils from a German motorcycle parts warehouse.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users