61 replies to this topic

#41 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 25 May 2020 - 09:07 pm

Cheers Studley. Ive got a few other things to try again now, so I'll report back with findings!

#42 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 05:48 pm

Tried these things, still nothing. Im now officially all out of ideas.
Stock indicators working fine, so no faults in wiring or oem relay.

#43 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 05:57 pm

What I have noted is that with resistors fitted so that the FL is at the correct rate, the lamps are receiving owt voltage, which is presumably why they dont light, and when hyperflashing, they of course do. I think going back to stock bulbs is now the only way to go.

#44 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 26 May 2020 - 06:04 pm

How about stock indicators with LED lamps fitted in them?

I've searched the shed and found 4 (LED lamps), in the magic box.

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#45 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 06:23 pm

Ooh - thats a thought. Prob is two of my indicators were snapped at the bolts (hence changing them completely). I need 4 new surrounds really. Plus, won't I experience the same issue? - Or because they'd be LED bulbs, would that solve the prob?

#46 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 26 May 2020 - 06:48 pm

Don't know if anyone has said this as I can't be asked to go back.
Have you tried just replacing one side to led but disconnect the indicator warning on the dash.
Should get that one side flashing double time hopefully. If so get you resistor wired in to see if it'll slow to normal speed.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#47 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 07:22 pm

I haven't tried it without the dash tell tale connected. I'll give it a go. Cheers Dave

#48 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 12:07 pm

Nope, no luck. Thats it, I've ordered some replacement indicators with normal bulbs, and sending back both sets of resistors/flasher etc. Can't return the actual lamps now unfort, as I ordered them over 30 days ago on fleabay. They're up for grabs if anyone wants to go through this hell! Only 8 squids lost though, so Im not too miffed.

#49 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 06:23 pm

£8? sounds like cheap Chinese crap strikes again. 

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#50 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 01:44 pm

More than likely I reckon.

#51 thong

thong

seems to like Carpe

• 49 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 07:30 pm

on a different bike I used LED bulbs with current limiting built in (no need for resistors) and an electronic flasher unit

#52 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 10 June 2020 - 08:37 pm

Ok butcher650 

Separate one indicator wire / plug one end of the resistor  (let's say Black), into the bike side of the wire / plug the other end of the resistor (Red) into the the indicator end of the wire you separated. If you want to test the R value set your meter to Ohms and apply a probe to each end of the resistor (BTW your bike takes 21w lamps IIRC so should have 21w resistors (900 have 10w)). If you need 2 more resistors I have a pair of 10w in the shed somewhere). The result is you get brighter indicators but no power saving.

HTH

Edit

Just noticed you have 10w resistors so may not have enough resistance for stock flasher unit.

Just noticed, Haynes says oem turn signal light is 21w but Yamaha says it's 27w !  Might be worth checking the bulb values Butch.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#53 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 13 June 2020 - 09:23 pm

Now that is very interesting Studley. That may very well be why I didn't get the right results. Although, would you adam and eve it, and I read this post merely a couple hours after fitting a new set of old fashioned incandescent indicators because I gave up with the LEDS!

I will have to have a look now.

#54 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 14 June 2020 - 07:56 am

Just had my oem indicators apart, bulbs are definitely 10 watts not 21.
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#55 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts

Posted 14 June 2020 - 08:07 am

Yep Lee 9er is 10w, Mk1 n Mk2 n Mk2a are 21w

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#56 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 14 June 2020 - 12:46 pm

Just been fettlin my mk1 indicators and the stock ones have 21w bulbs in mine.  Might be a Yamaha typo saying they're 27w but thought I'd mention it as it might be worth checking.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#57 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 14 June 2020 - 03:49 pm

Mine all are 21w so i would assume a typo as well..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#58 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 14 June 2020 - 05:01 pm

Checked my old ones (which were aftermarket), they were 21w, and my new incandescents are also 21w.

#59 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 15 June 2020 - 04:47 am

Yep Lee 9er is 10w, Mk1 n Mk2 n Mk2a are 21w

Maybe the 9er wattage is omly a different measure - "average power" ?
😁
Bjørge

#60 pedestrian

pedestrian

arrived on last train

• 2 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 12 September 2020 - 12:10 pm

Hello all.

I replaced stock turn signal relay with chinese CF-13 adjustable relay on my 900A.

Bought it on aliexpress.

All lamps are LED-based, no problems.

Blinking frequency is adjustable.

CF-14 is the same, with reversed pinout.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users