25 replies to this topic

#21 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 24 May 2020 - 03:24 pm

Getting  quick shifter is around £250 - £300. Think I'll stick with my dirt bike thingy for now.

#22 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 24 May 2020 - 06:30 pm

A cheaper trick would be to use the headlight flash switch to break the ignition circuit for a few milliseconds. Switch it as you press the gearlever and it acts as a mechanical quickshift. 

I used it when racing proddy bikes - I used the horn button - until the scrutineers insisted the horn worked AFTER the race!  :pimp:

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#23 Kelpie

Kelpie

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 944 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 24 May 2020 - 07:38 pm

I think we all ache a bit when riding out after being grounded on lockdown. Youll probably find youre ok once youre riding fit. Me and BSM have been out for a couple of 90 mile spins in the past week and we were both a bit stiff and knackered afterwards. Itll come back though. Same after any significant break. But agree you shouldnt be covering your clutch.

I dont believe clutchless gear changes do any harm if you get it right. Some may remember me busting my left hand badly after crashing the R1 on the track some 10 years. I had to perfect clutchless changes, both up and down and still do it as a matter of course when the notion takes my fancy. Shifting down takes a bit of practice but it can be achieved very smoothly once you get the knack.
You don't need balls to ride a big bike.

#24 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 28 May 2020 - 08:14 pm

Well my master cylinder and slave for clutch turned up today and it seems the bores are a mismatch for the job, very short/heavy lever pull and the slave seems to return very slowly to the point it's likely to make the clutch slip like mad, it's either try and sleeve the master down and make smaller piston and drill fluid return hole bigger or give up.

May give it a go, spent the money now so nowt to lose really.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#25 Hombre

Hombre

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 04 November 2020 - 05:28 pm

I have the Rox bar risers.  Up is ok but up and back is restricted by the length of cables, clutch primarily but throttle also.  Further back would be better so only partly successful.  I see Banggood have copies.

The stunt clutch could help with clutch cable length but then I'd be up against the throttle cable length. :(

Edited by Hombre, 04 November 2020 - 05:33 pm.

<p>BSA C15T, Ducati 200 Elite, Villiers Cub Trials Bitsa, Ariel Huntmaster, AJS 650 CSR, Sunbeam S7, Suzuki 650 Katana, Honda 400-4, Bultaco 350 Sherpa, Cotton Minarelli, Fantic 303, Yamaha SRX 400, Yamaha 550 Virago, Kawasaki ZZR 1100,  Fantic 305, Yamaha TDM 850 '91, Yamaha TDM 900 '04.  Ducati 200 Elite (again and now completed restoration), Yamaha SRX-600

#26 MipeTDM

MipeTDM

really likes Carpe

• 92 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 05 November 2020 - 11:36 am

Also the swept back angle on the original bars (at least on the 850s) are sub-optimal on our wrists. I read than many of us substiture those with other bares e.g the "Renthal" brand, with a different angle. I also find this but haven't tackled this bars issue yet myself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users