#1 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 18 April 2006 - 11:33 am

MKII Headlight uses a H1 and a H3 bulb. H1 being the dipped beam and H3 the main beam. Haynes is incorrect (it says 2 x H3).

http://www.carpe-tdm...12&highlight=h1

QUOTE("Beancounter")
My main headlight blew on Saturday evening, 45 miles from home :roll:

Next day, I eventually got the fairing off and removed the bulb. The Haynes manual states the bulb is a 12v 55w Halogen H3. Off I trot to Halfords and purchase said bulb.

Had to visit the folks on Sunday afternoon though I get home about 6-ish so it's still light enough to put the bike back together.....

....only the bulb doesn't fit!!! :x The busted bulb is actually an H1 item and of course Halfords have shut for the day the time I find this out.

Did I get the wrong H3 bulb or is the Haynes manual actually wrong? Say it ain't so, my faith with be utterly destroyed and I'll never believe a word written in that sacred book.

Also, "you should now be able to gently pull the fairing forward off the bike". It neglected to mention prising the rear of the cowl off of the indicator mounts. Most unnerving have to 'stretch' the panel.

http://www.carpe-tdm...t=0&gopid=2593
QUOTE(Big Bird @ Tue 18th Apr 2006, 10:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Had to replace the low beam globe on my little 850 last week.
So I looked up the required globe in the Haynes book of lies before venturing forth and it informed me that the '99 models run 2 x 55W H3 globes. I finally tracked one of the strange H3 beasties down in the 3rd bike shop I visited only to get home, detach half the fairing ranting.gif , and discover that the low beam is actually an H1 ranting.gif ranting.gif (the high beam is an H3).

That is the last time I'm relying on the manual to get it right. Next time I'm taking the broken part with me to make sure I get the right part. At least the shop was understanding (their manual was wrong too) and stayed open late just for me to return and do a bulb swap.

"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#2 ajfergie

ajfergie

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:45 pm

Lidl bulbs,

Hi Lads, what are the bulbs again for the mk 2
cos lidl have got a motoring special on mon 23rd

Headlight Bulbs - Set of 2

Choose from 12V bulb sets of:
- H1 blue or H1+50%
- H4 blue or H4+50%
- H7 blue or H7+50%
Price per set

3.90*
Only available while stocks last

will any of these fit ?

cheers ajfergie...

Edited by ajfergie, 16 February 2009 - 08:46 pm.

#3 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:35 pm

AJF if you look carefully at the outside heedloight glass you will see H1 and H3 stamped onto the respective headlamps, POP m8.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#4 the969

the969

sticking around

• 28 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 23 September 2019 - 10:42 am

Haynes aren't the only ones wrong on this. The Heliohost TDM site has it wrong as well (reckons H1 for high and low)

As do the drop down menus with select your model options  (auto lamp spares sites).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users