9 replies to this topic

#1 RobinHood

RobinHood

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 119 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 26 March 2019 - 12:58 pm

Well my TDM has served me incredibly well and I have just found its limitations for me. I've put about 35k on the bike since I bought it 2 and a bit years ago. I commuted all year round, loaded it up with all kinds of things, its been my workhorse for sure.
I knackered the ignition by keeping too many keys on my key ring and that cost £750 to replace, besides that I had a coil fail me at about 50k.
She's been great on tyres and since I started using silkolene oil its been great with oil consumption too.

I've done a mix of city commuting, rural commuting and long distance riding with an average 50mpg.

Best mpg was 65 on a sedate ride up to North Wales.

Worst was 38 on a not very sedate round trip to London late at night.

Recently I've started making runs from Brighton to Aberdeen and the last trip included one epic 12hr 666.6 miles day from Aberdeen to Brighton. After that I was totally exhausted and could feel every joint thats out of place on the tdm.
Obviously its a very comfy bike or that wouldn't be possible but as I'm 6'2" with poorish posture I can feel the limits when doing those distances.

After lots of research this last year, I am having a 2010 XT1200 Super Tenere delivered to me tomorrow, and a work colleague is buying my 900 at 62000 miles.

He is already signing up to the forum and I've told him how good you guys are at helping out with info and how all round useful this place is.

Thanks for everything and happy riding!

#2 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 26 March 2019 - 01:51 pm

ooh let us know how you get on with the S10!

#3 madmopedracer

madmopedracer

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 26 March 2019 - 01:53 pm

you cant beat a super scooter (500cc +) for comfort on those long boring motorway blatts

had a apprilia Atlantic 500 got 105mph out it 55mpg thrashed and gave some sports bikes on the north 500 a surprise I was always just behind them

its like sitting in an arm chair with lots of weather protection

and they are not that slow on the twisty bits 

#4 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 26 March 2019 - 02:43 pm

Good luck Robin,  £750  i take it that was new Yamaha parts and a new ECU too?? !!!!!

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#5 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 08:20 am

you cant beat a super scooter (500cc +) for comfort on those long boring motorway blatts

had a apprilia Atlantic 500 got 105mph out it 55mpg thrashed and gave some sports bikes on the north 500 a surprise I was always just behind them

I had a go on one a few years back while my bike was getting some tyres fitted. I was terrified I was going to just slide off the side of it! It just felt really dangerous and unstable. 

Edited by Coxylaad, 27 March 2019 - 08:24 am.

#6 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 27 March 2019 - 09:12 am

+1 with all that mate. Two years ago when I was suffering with a knackered hip I couldn't get my leg over (literally!) and so I firstly bought a Burgman 650 and then a Silverwing 600. Both scooters were remarkably comfy and both went incredibly well.The Burgman had better handling and stability at high speed (it would do 115mph!), but the Honda was lighter and more agile and easier to man-handle with said knackered hip.

Despite all this it was nice to be back on my 9er after a complete hip replacement over 2 years ago.

Riggers.

#7 madmopedracer

madmopedracer

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 27 March 2019 - 09:31 am

Burgman fastest (except the 1000cc v twin apprilia which is stupid)

Yamaha T-Max best handling

BMW most expensive with loads of toys

#8 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 09:56 am

do any of those come with seatbelts?

#9 TDM4ever

TDM4ever

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 27 March 2019 - 10:13 am

do any of those come with seatbelts?

Yes, also cupholder, airbag and stereo...  ;)

#10 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 27 March 2019 - 11:53 am

Burgman fastest (except the 1000cc v twin apprilia which is stupid)

Yamaha T-Max best handling

BMW most expensive with loads of toys

A mate o mine had a BMW and it was never ending trouble. Mostly the faults were to do with the engine warning light which kept coming on at random. He paid a princely sum of money to get it fixed and after 150 miles it started to flicker on again. I think the engines are KYMCO anyway and not BMW.

Any road up he's got rid of it now, come to his senses, and bought a Honda 500 twin (which he liketh muchly).  :)

Riggers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users