7 replies to this topic

#1 MikeD

MikeD

discovering Carpe

• 12 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 17 April 2019 - 06:59 pm

Good evening!

Working my way round my '9 I found the rear break fluid was like dark syrup and the fronts were only slightly better.

Cleaned out the rears and passed a few master cylinders of fresh oil through and all is great. The fronts were also really bunged up around the pistons, so I gave them a clean too. Using a syringe i pushed new fluid up the lines and it all seems OK. However I can't seem to bleed the bloody things. I have a pipe and one way valve fitted and working on each side i have been extracting bubbles, however i never seem to be able to reach a firm lever - its very spongy, although the front brake is binding.

Any thoughts, hints or tips?

Cheers! Mike

#2 Bigmatt

Bigmatt

seems to like Carpe

• 48 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 17 April 2019 - 07:26 pm

If you are still getting bubbles then keep on bleeding until no more bubbles appear. Then tie your brake lever to the handlebars so it is compressed. Let it sit overnight. It worked last time I changed fluids on my TDM and is the only way I can get the front brake on my Harley to feel firm.

#3 MikeD

MikeD

discovering Carpe

• 12 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 07:35 pm

Bigmatt, thank you. Will  give that a shot! Cheers, Mike

#4 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 17 April 2019 - 08:30 pm

You should have most of the air out if you've reversed filled with a syringe, like you i normally uses a pipe with one way valve to get the lever firm, can be a bit of a fiddle on the 9r,you could crack the banjo at the MC as well just slightly while pumping to remove air, best is to fit a double banjo at the MC as it resolves the issue pretty much.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#5 MikeD

MikeD

discovering Carpe

• 12 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 08:39 pm

Thanks both, I have tied the lever up and will see what the morning brings. If still no joy I will try as you suggest, cheers

#6 Johnners

Johnners

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 120 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 18 April 2019 - 09:16 am

One other thing worth trying, when bleeding, rotate the bars make sure the master cylinder and resevoir are higher than the banjo connection, otherwise bubbles can get stuck there resulting in squishy lever.

#7 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 18 April 2019 - 03:27 pm

You should have most of the air out if you've reversed filled with a syringe, like you i normally uses a pipe with one way valve to get the lever firm, can be a bit of a fiddle on the 9r,you could crack the banjo at the MC as well just slightly while pumping to remove air, best is to fit a double banjo at the MC as it resolves the issue pretty much.

+1 Reverse filling seems to be the best way to do the blue spots. 

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#8 MipeTDM

MipeTDM

really likes Carpe

• 92 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 25 April 2019 - 12:54 pm

Hi, you can also try it like this, works especially well with a 2-line setup to the master cylinder. I have blue spot calipers as well, see my video:

https://mpesgens.hom...9_150835039.mp4

Pump first, to get some pressure, then gently press on the brake lever to release the pressure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users