• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 05 May 2007 - 05:32 am

well i split and overhauled me rear clapper during the week, initially i cleaned up the seal grooves and reused the old seals but on pressing the piston back into one half i tore the poor little endangered species......... this made me paranoid as i was then wondering if i had damaged the udder seal on the udder caliper half ???!!!! anyway i took this as an excuse to order some new ones ! i removed the pistons by using the compressed air can you see below in the pics. basically i popped the pistoons into a zipseal bag and into the freezer overnoight, then popped each half of the caliper into a waterproof zip seal bag and immersed them into a basin of boiling water (note; i left the top of the bag open to allow fer steam dispersal as i didn't want damp caliper bodies) ferra bout 15 mins, then rather swiftly removed the caliper and checked twas bone dry, wrapped it up in a tea towel (to retain the heat) rushed up to the shed, removed and inspected the pistons (from freezer) and gave em a quick squirt of brake cleaner and dried em off, fitted me new seals & coated them and the pistons with fresh brake fluid and as gently and as accurately as possible i pressed "them home". some pics below. i basically was concerned about splitting the caliper but i followed GG's example and though "what the hell". ting is i tried reverse bleeding it last night by trying to inject the brake fluid up thru the bleed nipples.....fecking joke that was ! oil prolly give it anudder go this mornin and failing that take it to a dealer to sort!

Edited by dapleb, 24 June 2012 - 07:52 am.
Added model info to title

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#2 TDMTAM

TDMTAM

Carpe Citizen

• 4,205 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 05 May 2007 - 08:22 am

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Sat 5th May 2007, 06:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ting is i tried reverse bleeding it last night by trying to inject the brake fluid up thru the bleed nipples.....fecking joke that was ! oil prolly give it anudder go this mornin and failing that take it to a dealer to sort!

Try sucking it through using the syringe instead.
TAM
2008 TDM 900 in BLACK, MRA Vario, DL handguards & more to come
1994 TDM 850 mkI Silver, with Blueflame end can, Gone to a new owner & I kinda miss her!

th_09062006104.jpg th_02012009095.jpg

Only a Biker knows why a Dog sticks it head out the car window

#3 SteveGlover

SteveGlover

850 going for 900

• 857 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 05 May 2007 - 09:06 am

QUOTE(TDMTAM @ Sat 5th May 2007, 09:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Try sucking it through using the syringe instead.
TAM

Or just suck it through a long pipe attached to the bleed nipple - once you get the fluid flowing you can usually bleed them easy enough.
Good pictures Wicky, looks a good job.

#4 Guest_GuyGraham_*

Guest_GuyGraham_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2007 - 06:15 pm

Why you freezing the pistons, and heating the bodies - they are not (or shouldn't be) and interference fit at room temp.

A bit of brake fluid on the seals and on the leading edge of the piston and it should slide in nicely

don't use anything other than fresh brake fluid to clean the seals and dust seals - anything else can make them swell and expand causing issue with re-assemble / getting them back into the grooves etc

have you dis-assmbled the master cylinder?
you've probably got something crap in their stopping it from bleeding correctly - take out the plastic elbow, where the pipe from the reservior attaches to and make sure there is no crap in there

#5 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 12 May 2007 - 04:32 am

will do, cheers GG.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

#6 Guest_GuyGraham_*

Guest_GuyGraham_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2007 - 06:20 pm

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Sat 12th May 2007, 05:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
will do, cheers GG.

what ya doin up at 5:17am?

not still trying to get your brakes bled are you?

#7 laughin in a windstorm

laughin in a windstorm

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 13 May 2007 - 05:43 am

ah ha so the man who once told me he couldn't can, good job fellow humany thing
it's not my time to go, it's not my time to die
the last thing I want is for my family to cry

#8 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 12:53 pm

LOL @ LIAW !!! ya i hadda have a go some time i suppose !

GG i was up all noight int garage playing/stroking/pawing/gnawing/caressing No.7 ! wife was happy when i rubbed me cowld blue knob against her left buttock cheek at that time................anyway we awoke "some time later" as the cats were farting in me face and meowing fer breakfast.............FFS tis only 7.15 am !!! so not much sleep afterall.

#9 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 14 May 2007 - 05:49 pm

TMI

rotflmmfao.gif
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#10 roadrunner

roadrunner

arrived on last train

• 2 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 07:47 pm

good bit of ifo i picked up ere mate cheers

#11 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:57 pm

powerhouse-uk on ebay now sell a kit which includes the calipot half 'o'-rings. Got a set to try oot, will report back when fitted...2013 ish maybe. They look and feel exactly the same as the OEM seals.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#12 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:35 pm

thas handy infermation indedy doo daah.

#13 LewisBlackburn

LewisBlackburn

has been here 4ever

• 1,748 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:41 pm

I could probably do with doing this, especially when i have the advantage of a full spare rear line so have no excuses.

Im LAZYY !! OK !

#14 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 12:48 pm

Hello all,     just revisiting this again as i tink the rear caliper cud do with anudder overhaul.   Anyone ever managed to get the rear pistons in stainless steel ?

#15 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 12:56 pm

ahhhh i just phoned powerhouse-uk on 01246 260665 (cheers Dapleb)  and ordered a seal kit and 2 stainless pissedons.  

#16 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 02:44 pm

They is bloody helpful that company.

Hmmm wonder if my post above aboot reporting back means I have a rear brake rebuild kit somewhere!!! Anyways the front pistons and seals were from them and went back together fine.

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#17 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 04:06 pm

de ting is the rear pistons on No.7 are 16 year old now and may well be a bit 'weathered' so i ordered the stainless versions at £22 each.

#18 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 04:08 pm

When ewe finished cleanin up yer old calipots they looked a lot loike a cat! Thats a neat trick!

#19 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 11:31 pm

well the overhaul kit is pricey but quite impressive i guess!    will see how it goes.

#20 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 09:59 am

I've got a seal kit coming for mine. I got the calpot from a 1980 something FZ something (3HE iirc)

I'll check in if i get stuck

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users