48 replies to this topic

#1 PassTheBuck

PassTheBuck

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 26 August 2015 - 03:08 pm

Attached File  DSCF1320.JPG   139.07KB   3 downloadsAttached File  DSCF1321.JPG   172.89KB   2 downloadsAttached File  DSCF1322.JPG   152.12KB   2 downloadsAttached File  DSCF1323.JPG   142.95KB   1 downloadsHi All, got this Tiger screen from a TDM owner on flea-bay , fitted it today temporarily to see how it goes. Thoughts poz or neg will be greatly appreciated and any improvements too. I was told by a biker that i would need to support the lower side bits with some mild steel bar in case the screen resonates too much and cracks either the screen or the nose fairing???  Thoughts please as I very rarely speed ahem and don't do many miles a year.

PTB

#2 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,214 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 26 August 2015 - 03:12 pm

It's big ! :D

Some of our friends in Singapore had problems with cracked nose fairings after fitting mahoosive screens.  There's a topic aboot it on here somewhere.  That said, I think their's were bigger so you might beef wine.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#3 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 26 August 2015 - 05:26 pm

That's a big screen !

And a mechanical challenge for the original screen too : the original screen has seven screws, yours has only four. It applies too much stress to the original screen bellow.

I would not ride above 50kph with such screen mounting, a failure would be very dangerous !

top_640.png

#4 PassTheBuck

PassTheBuck

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 06:32 pm

Well guys I've just been out for a 50 mile ride and the screen never much vibrated or rattled about over bumps etc . Speeds up to 70 but not prolonged so do you think I should brace the Tiger screen but doing so would make it look quite Fugly don't you think??

#5 steve27bha

steve27bha

needs a 2nd hobby

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 26 August 2015 - 08:40 pm

IMHO it looks fugly already!

I agree with JBX. The force it will put on the original screen and the fairing mountings at speed will be waaaaay above the OE fitting.

Also it looks to be so high that you will look through the plastic. That would be interesting when it gets wet or dirty, or at night.

My MRA Vario gives me good protection and I'm just short of 6 feet tall.

Attached Files

Edited by steve27bha, 26 August 2015 - 08:44 pm.

TDM900A 2008/09 in use, with     gallery_179098_391_770.jpg sml_gallery_179098_391_1145.jpg  gallery_179098_391_1206.jpg gallery_179098_391_253.jpg gallery_179098_391_82.jpg gallery_179098_391_725.gif gallery_179098_391_797.jpg gallery_179098_391_1396.jpg gallery_179098_391_501.jpg gallery_179098_391_316.jpg  gallery_179098_391_1768.jpg gallery_179098_391_106.jpggallery_179098_391_2170.jpg gallery_179098_391_1373.jpg

CBX750FE in reserve; Cagiva N90 125 now rebuilt & in use.

#6 PassTheBuck

PassTheBuck

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 07:39 am

Hi Steve , well I can see over the top easy as I'm 6' 4" and a peanut but I get your comment about the height , wind buffering has stopped completely and I can ride with my visor open . I'll give it some time before I make my mind up but personally I think it looks ok. Each to their own eh?

Would it help if I dropped the front mounts so that the Tiger screen nearly touches the original one??? just a thought.

Cheers Buck

Edited by PassTheBuck, 27 August 2015 - 07:41 am.

#7 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,514 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 10:13 am

Seems like you've got it just right to do its job. Just a questions of how to support it more if it needs it. Would some rubber blocks between it and the original screen help? (just a thought). Since the original screen is curved wouldn't it be ok to take some stress?
1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#8 PassTheBuck

PassTheBuck

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 10:45 am

Hi mate, there are tap washers between the supports and the original screen, maybe thats why it wasn't vibrating last night . it seems to work ok so I'll give it a couple of months and report back, thanks for your positive comments.

Buck

#9 PassTheBuck

PassTheBuck

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 11:50 am

Hi guys , since putting the "BIG" screen on my bike , I had a couple of comments about bracing or supporting it so would this be advisable or do you think its OTT , it doesn't hinder the bars in any way as its in full lock on the pics.

Ta Buck

Attached Files

#10 RolfieB

RolfieB

has been here 4ever

• 1,069 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 10 September 2015 - 04:03 pm

Got to say I agree with JBX. I reckon that would put too much stress on the original screen.

Also agree with Steve27bha, it's ugly.

But each to their own.

Now I just fly everywhere.

Be yourself, because everybody else is taken.

Gone to new owner.

Black Mk2a

PipeWerx Exhaust, Gold Spots, Goodridge Hoses, Scottoiler,Oil Pressure Indicator, Nippy Normans fuze box,Touratech Handguards,Oxford Heated Grips, Power Socket, Hard Wiring for Sat Nav, Gear Indicator built into the rev counter. Givi E50 Top box & E21 side cases, Bagster Tank Cover & Bag.

#11 PassTheBuck

PassTheBuck

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 04:30 pm

Even with the supports RolfieB???  Thought they would brace it against the windforce. Maybe it is ugly but it does its job (For now at least) and we all aint got bottomless pockets for MRA or Puig stuff so for now it stays.

Buck

#12 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 05:17 pm

Don't take the piss but I think you lack some knowledge in safety on a bike.

First you have replaced the screen plastic screws with metal ones.

Did you ever wonder why the screws that support the oem screen are made of plastic ?

Simply because in case of accident the screws will broke and the screen will not act as a throat-cutter, it will go away at the slightest shock with a body part.

The two metal blades you added to support the additional screen are beyond anything I've ever seen dangerous on a bike.

It will be perfect to cut hands & arms in case of a frontal shock.

Btw a friend of friend of mine died after taking the handlebar deep inside his belly during a crash. There were no bar-end protections !

THen again, no offense intended, just a safety advice.

top_640.png

#13 ProudViking

ProudViking

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 10 September 2015 - 05:48 pm

To be fair MRA aren't expensive. I got my MRA racing screen direct from bs-sports in Germany for £55 delivered. Considering that I'd just paid Mr Yamaha well over £100 for a new original I think MRA are well priced. And the quality is just as good IMHO. Plus I'm 6 feet 5 and their screen has eliminated at least 95% of any buffeting I experienced with the standard screen.

#14 PassTheBuck

PassTheBuck

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 06:04 pm

Don't take the piss but I think you lack some knowledge in safety on a bike.

First you have replaced the screen plastic screws with metal ones.

Did you ever wonder why the screws that support the oem screen are made of plastic ?

Simply because in case of accident the screws will broke and the screen will not act as a throat-cutter, it will go away at the slightest shock with a body part.

The two metal blades you added to support the additional screen are beyond anything I've ever seen dangerous on a bike.

It will be perfect to cut hands & arms in case of a frontal shock.

Btw a friend of friend of mine died after taking the handlebar deep inside his belly during a crash. There were no bar-end protections !

THen again, no offense intended, just a safety advice.

Hi JBX, Firstly who's takin the piss? Secondly the metal screws that are on the original screen came with the bike, thirdly I have not fitted the "Blades" they are only there for "suggestions and or advice or CRITICISM " the bike has not been out on the road as I was seeking advice , fourthly I have Barkbusters or the like on the end of the handlebars so whats the gist with the bar-end statement??

Buck

the Triumph screen cost me £20 so it wont be much of a loss if it doesn't stay,

Buck

#15 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 09:20 pm

Sorry I thought it was obvious about the handlebar problem : just to illustrate the fact that bare metal with squared edge will cut its way thru a human body in case of a crash, even if it doesn't look so sharp.

So you say you were seeking for advices, I just gave you some advices about your safety, nothing else. ;)

top_640.png

#16 PassTheBuck

PassTheBuck

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:28 am

Thanks for your concern JBX , no offence taken and I agree with your comments and yes was looking for advice and after some thought I may look for other alternatives,

Buck

#17 NickIAM

NickIAM

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 11 September 2015 - 07:55 pm

The MRA Madstad screen doesn't look too different. It comes with a metal plate that replaces the original screen, and then two adjustable brackets:

http://www.carpe-tdm...l=&fromsearch=1

Personally I love the Madstad screen, but others have not had the same success. Whether that's due to their's being the smaller size (I went for the touring option), or whether it's just a question of playing with the adjustments, or what, I don't know.

:-)

:)

Yeah, I've done the IAM. And yeah, I recommend it (any so-called 'advanced training' come to that; not just IAM): A low cost training course based on the system used by the police, which is largely common sense once pointed out, making one smoother, quicker and safer. What's not to like? And why would one not want to tell others?  :hide:

#18 PassTheBuck

PassTheBuck

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 07:59 pm

Cheers Nick, looking for options at the mo, hit a few bumps on the bike today and the movement of the extra screen has put me off it a tad.

Cheers mate

#19 RolfieB

RolfieB

has been here 4ever

• 1,069 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 11 September 2015 - 08:45 pm

Mate, those supports could do you untold damage in the event of a frontal. Other than that the original would not be designed to have a big sail attached to it. I imagine it would not be to long before the cracks start to appear.

Understand what your saying about pennies, but at what cost.

Is there anyone in your neck of the woods (where ever that may be) with different screens for you to try, it's only a couple of mins job to whip a screen on & off.

Now I just fly everywhere.

Be yourself, because everybody else is taken.

Gone to new owner.

Black Mk2a

PipeWerx Exhaust, Gold Spots, Goodridge Hoses, Scottoiler,Oil Pressure Indicator, Nippy Normans fuze box,Touratech Handguards,Oxford Heated Grips, Power Socket, Hard Wiring for Sat Nav, Gear Indicator built into the rev counter. Givi E50 Top box & E21 side cases, Bagster Tank Cover & Bag.

#20 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• 1,179 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:25 pm

Been riding over 40 years never personally heard of anyone being damaged by a screen or a screen bolt/bracket

thought on most frontals people go over the bars, and sustained damage impacting objects, other than on the bike itself  :dunno:

the palmer screen fitment uses a metal bracket and the madstrad uses a metal screen and bracket, so are they are a no go?

my Honda screen as metal screen bolts holding it on(OE) would have thought plastic screen bolts were down to cost not a safety feature?

and as for being spiked by handle bars, cum on lets get a grip

yep there are always freak accidents,

I dont see PTB's screen any more dangerous than most bolt on accessories, racks,panniers, mirrors sat nav mounts, backpack, bum bags

bikers are vulnerable to impact, yes

but don't lets get carried away  ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users