• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 SteveOne

SteveOne

sixtyniner

• 69 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:06 pm

I just serviced my 900 - oil/filter, plugs, coolant; checked brakes.
When I was running the engine up to temperature after the coolant change - at about 2000 rpm till the fan cut in - I noticed that the rh downpipe was glowing red. the lh downpipe was still hot, but not glowing to the same extent. I know the exhaust gets hot - but I was surprised to see one pipe this hot.
Is this normal ?
The bike runs OK, is on standard exhausts.

I did search through the forum for similar results - but couldn't find anything similar, so now I'm wondering if I've done something wrong

#2 Chris B

Chris B

just half a litre to go

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:32 pm

It shouldn't be glowing, could be the valves need adjusting, what is the mileage?

02 TDM 900, Silver. 85k miles 

Givi Box + panniers, Baglux Cover, Baglux Bag, R&Gs, Remus Cans, PC3, Air Box Mod, DL handguards, Hel Hoses, Heated Grips, LED Lights on handguards, Scottoiler, Scorpion Rad guard, Top Sellerie Seat, Gear Indicator, Stebel Nautilus, Wilbers Rear Shock, MCT reworked forks.

#3 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:59 pm

Try searching for 'glowing' smile.gif Loadsa stuff.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#4 SteveOne

SteveOne

sixtyniner

• 69 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:40 pm

QUOTE(Studley Ramrod @ Mon 24th Jan 2011, 01:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Try searching for 'glowing' smile.gif Loadsa stuff.

Thanks for the search item - that does match what I'm seeing.
It's done about 24k miles so I'm hoping it's not the valves. ( I can't be bothered to take a look, I'd probably drop half my toolbox into the engine)
I did like the comment saying that it be because it's a 270 degree crank (crossplane?) - I did wonder if that might be so. The glow disappears quickly at idle.

I have seen turbo engines with whole manifolds etc glowing brightly - but they were producing serious power at the time.

The temperature guage behaves normally

#5 peve

peve

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:06 pm

Hi all.

Saw the same on my bike, but not just one, they where both glowing like chrismas lights. Bike behaves normally and every thing seems ok.

What can it be ?

Tdm 900 and Labrador.
Can it get any better.
Dont think so.

#6 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:51 pm

check your co settings, might be running very weak or you might have an air leak, check the rubber plugs on the vacuum stubs on the throttle bodies.
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#7 SteveOne

SteveOne

sixtyniner

• 69 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:06 pm

QUOTE(leehenty @ Mon 24th Jan 2011, 03:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
check your co settings, might be running very weak or you might have an air leak, check the rubber plugs on the vacuum stubs on the throttle bodies.

I've yet to run the diagnostics for this service, so I'll have a play and see if I can tune bu colour !
Thanks fopr the update.

#8 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 24 January 2011 - 05:35 pm

QUOTE(peve @ Mon 24th Jan 2011, 03:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi all.

Saw the same on my bike, but not just one, they where both glowing like chrismas lights. Bike behaves normally and every thing seems ok.

What can it be ?

It's cos the exhaust is leaving the ports at around 1000 deg. C at 2000 rpm - kinda makes the pipes colourful as there's no wind to cool them......................

The left one has the ginormous oxygen sensor in it acting as a backpressure - wondering if that's why they're different - or the mixture is slightly different - wouldn't worry about it if it's going ok dry.gif

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#9 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:31 pm

Same as Dandy, wo need to worry.
Pipes go cherry red if I leave the engine to warm-up inside the garage, very impressive if it's in the dark.
Anyway it's better to ride right after start-up and let the engine warming up for a few km.

top_640.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users