#1 boisty

boisty

discovering Carpe

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 12 June 2006 - 09:26 pm

Hi Folks

Well, I've had my 2004 900 now for about a year and thought it ws about time I got it sorted so I have a bit of a list of questions that i need some help with.

Firstly, what can I do to sort the fuelling and stop the horrible, part throttle snatchiness without resorting to the expense of a power commander (cos i ain't got much money). I have heard of a airbox mod but can't seem to find out what that entails or how to tell if it has already been done.

The suspension seems very soft so I would like to improve it but again without spending too much money. What twiddles will give best effect? I ride it pretty hard having had a zx9r previously and while i appreciate it ain't gonna handle like a sports bike i'm sure something can be done to it. I weigh 12.5 stone and am 5'8" tall.

I would like to change the bars and get rid of the horrible chrome affairs so am thinking of changing them for some nice renthals but have heard that some of them can catch the fairing on full lock, anyone know which ones fit best?

Tyres!!!! Now theres a question. Shortly i am going to have to change 'em so if anyone can help with my choice I would be very grateful.

On all my previous bikes i have fitted an amber headlamp cover (makes car drivers look twice) but can't seem to find anyone who makes a cover for the 900. Anyone know of a manufacturer, and whilst on the subject of headlights is there a conversion available so that both lights are on when dipped. Finally on the headlight subject, what bulbs will improve the lighting.

Finally, and i've asked this before without much success, is there a span adjustable clutch lever that will fit the bike. I have increased the free play on the cable a bit which has helped some but it's a bit of a cheat.

Well, I think that's about it for now, guess I might be pushing my luck if I ask for any more help. Thanks in advance to anyone who posts some answers, off down pub now (hic!) yeahyeahyeah.gif

Edited by boisty, 12 June 2006 - 09:31 pm.

Has anyone seen the plot?

#2 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 12 June 2006 - 10:05 pm

QUOTE(boisty @ Mon 12th Jun 2006, 10:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Folks

Well, I've had my 2004 900 now for about a year and thought it ws about time I got it sorted so I have a bit of a list of questions that i need some help with.

Firstly, what can I do to sort the fuelling and stop the horrible, part throttle snatchiness without resorting to the expense of a power commander (cos i ain't got much money). I have heard of a airbox mod but can't seem to find out what that entails or how to tell if it has already been done.

The suspension seems very soft so I would like to improve it but again without spending too much money. What twiddles will give best effect? I ride it pretty hard having had a zx9r previously and while i appreciate it ain't gonna handle like a sports bike i'm sure something can be done to it. I weigh 12.5 stone and am 5'8" tall.

I would like to change the bars and get rid of the horrible chrome affairs so am thinking of changing them for some nice renthals but have heard that some of them can catch the fairing on full lock, anyone know which ones fit best?

Tyres!!!! Now theres a question. Shortly i am going to have to change 'em so if anyone can help with my choice I would be very grateful.

On all my previous bikes i have fitted an amber headlamp cover (makes car drivers look twice) but can't seem to find anyone who makes a cover for the 900. Anyone know of a manufacturer, and whilst on the subject of headlights is there a conversion available so that both lights are on when dipped. Finally on the headlight subject, what bulbs will improve the lighting.

Finally, and i've asked this before without much success, is there a span adjustable clutch lever that will fit the bike. I have increased the free play on the cable a bit which has helped some but it's a bit of a cheat.

Well, I think that's about it for now, guess I might be pushing my luck if I ask for any more help. Thanks in advance to anyone who posts some answers, off down pub now (hic!) yeahyeahyeah.gif

jaysus i read that thrice and still feel dizzy yeahyeahyeah.gif go ere fer airbox mod http://jbx9.free.fr/TDM/index.php

just use the owners manual to firm up the suspension, fit bridgestone 020's or metzler Z6 tyres, you can adjust the CO2 settings via your dash buttons (see link above), buy a different bike !!!

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#3 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 12 June 2006 - 11:23 pm

Osram or Phillips +50% help a lot

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#4 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 12 June 2006 - 11:37 pm

QUOTE(dandywarhol @ Tue 13th Jun 2006, 12:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Osram or Phillips +50% help a lot

agree with ya dare as i have em fitted to No.7

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#5 Petrust

Petrust

discovering Carpe

• 17 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 13 June 2006 - 06:53 am

Renthal "medium" bars fit fine (they are little lower and have less pull-back). dont get "low" or "ultra-low" cos they hit the tank on full lock.

#6 Difflock

Difflock

really likes Carpe

• 90 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 13 June 2006 - 05:58 pm

FWIW the Renthals on mine are for a Honda CR250 apparently..

They work great too!

Diff.
It isn't how fast you ride, It's how you ride fast..

#7 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 23 June 2006 - 10:24 pm

Hi Folks

Re the soft suspension, I applied the following advice which I picked up somewhere, and it worked:

"Stiffen up the front rebound damping to maximum, then do the same at the rear but only with 4 clicks off maximum. Add a click of preload (at 13 stone, I added 2) to the rear shock"

Re the lights, M& P are selling high-power Philips bulbs with an amber reflection that may sort both of your concerns.

Re airbox mods., see other forum and garage pages. I'm new too so I haven't tried this yet.

Pict

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#8 mr grumpy 2

mr grumpy 2

really likes Carpe

• Members
  • 99 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 24 June 2006 - 07:03 am

i'll be the odd one out and say the softer suspension of the tdm is great, for the twisty back roads where the tdm just eats other bikes...

#9 nitram

nitram

Carpe groupie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 24 June 2006 - 05:46 pm

You cannot get a span adjustable clutch lever for the 900 (nor the 850's either sad.gif ) I think you can only get span adjustable levers for bikes with hydraulic clutches.

Osram Silver Stars or Philip Vision Plus are the bulbs to get and www.powerbulbs.co.uk are the place to get them. Although, I have used the Halfords 80watt blue vision bulbs and these were awesome, trouble is they nearly burn't my wiring out, so use higer rated bulbs at your peril or of you rewire them via a relay.

Dunno owt about suspenders or bars on the 900 sad.gif

No, you can't have both side of the headlamp to come on whilst dipped, they are single filament bulbs and the beam patterns are different. You could fit some ickle driving lamps under the fairing to create more light.

As for headlamp covers, I know you could get them for the 850, so someone must make em for the 900.
I do remember being able to buy amber headlamp paint for people who were travelling to/through France. It was a few years back so dunno if you can still buy it.

As for tyres there is just one choice...................Metz Z6's, well you could try the Pirelli Dragon Strada as they are the same compound, just a slightly different tread pattern.

If you want pukka sportsbike tyres then you need to convert the front to a 17"er.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users