Just Got My 900

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_ric_*

Guest_ric_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2008 - 03:54 pm

Hi to all,

I read through most of your postings, looked around, played with ebay, found what I was looking for on an obscure (to me) ad site, through a general for sale search............and bought an 06 900 with £15k on the clock. (Before I did I checked the year, model etc using your various tips and in the end found it easier to phone Yamaha UK direct!)

Rode it about 100 miles home in 45 degree heat and nearly roasted in a traffic jam, but now I've topped up the coolant and tyre pressures I'm getting used to it.

It has an after market seat (looks like a Motorcycleseatworks job based on an original seat) but it's lower than I would have expected; I can put both feet flat on the ground which I didn't expect to be able to at 5' 9" and 30" inside leg. Seemed too low at the start but I will wait to see how I get on before thinking seriously about changing it.

Also has a double bubble screen, not particularly good protection, but ok for now, and the gear indicator looks neat enough inside it.

The Scorpion pipes are staying as are the Give engine bars.

Now for the questions.............

The front pads look low to me, still seviceable for a bit. I've looked at what you say on this site and will probably go for Yamaha OEM ones; any advice on price so that I can decide whether to source them here in Spain in euros or get them from the UK? Or should I look at some others?

Any thoughts on the low coolant level; the temp gauge rose quickly when stationary but didn't go into the red even if I did, and the level hasn't dropped since I topped it up. Does the system have an overflow/pressure release when it gets hot??

I want to get a worshop manual, any thoughts on the various ones on eBay?

It's on Metzelers at the moment, and the front one is getting towards the limit, rear is ok for some time yet. Bike came with brand new Avon Storms, but would you fit the front only or change them as a pair? (And are they ok generally?)

I think the standard horn is crap so I'm considering Stebel Magnum. Am I right to think it will bolt straight on, in place of the original, without needing to change the brackets and/or wiring?

And finally, at least for the moment, it's a bit snatchy but I'd expected that. Should I look for a power commander and does it actually work, i.e. will it be super smooth once fitted?

Cheers for now and thanks in advance.

Rich

#2 Hartside Man

Hartside Man

Old Moaning Git !!

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 3,247 posts
  • Location:On Hartside more often than not ! But Live in Carlisle UK
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 05 August 2008 - 04:36 pm

QUOTE(ric @ Tue 5th Aug 2008, 03:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi to all,

The front pads look low to me, still seviceable for a bit. I've looked at what you say on this site and will probably go for Yamaha OEM ones; any advice on price so that I can decide whether to source them here in Spain in euros or get them from the UK? Or should I look at some others?

A look on wemoto would be a good start for prices or google pages on google.co.uk and tick search uk only to get prices good.gif

Any thoughts on the low coolant level; the temp gauge rose quickly when stationary but didn't go into the red even if I did, and the level hasn't dropped since I topped it up. Does the system have an overflow/pressure release when it gets hot??

there is a pressure release on the radiator but it would need to be damn hot to get to that stage, the engine does run rather high on the scale , i would not worry too much unless the fan is constantly on all the time.

I want to get a worshop manual, any thoughts on the various ones on eBay?

steer clear of ebay the full manual can be obtained from JBX's excellent pages here http://jbx9.free.fr/...x.php?page=DL00

It's on Metzelers at the moment, and the front one is getting towards the limit, rear is ok for some time yet. Bike came with brand new Avon Storms, but would you fit the front only or change them as a pair? (And are they ok generally?)

I had storms on my TDM and loved them, personally i would fit them as a pair but if your riding in the dry all the time (spain) then why not run out the metz

I think the standard horn is crap so I'm considering Stebel Magnum. Am I right to think it will bolt straight on, in place of the original, without needing to change the brackets and/or wiring?

it fits straight on but you will need to move the bracket up slightly (drill another hole to accept the dimple positioner, otherwise the horn wil contact the mudguard, it needs lifted slightly, or indeed look at fitting it behind the side fairings as a lot have done. my magnum used the same wiring and i never had an issue, if you go for the nautilus though i would wire in a relay

And finally, at least for the moment, it's a bit snatchy but I'd expected that. Should I look for a power commander and does it actually work, i.e. will it be super smooth once fitted?

again on jbx site there is a section that mentions the air box flap modification , worth trying and see what you think beofre the expense of a powercommander

Rich

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have a Ghost S and i'm not afraid to use it !

A Beast in Orange Called KaTie eM 

"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul".

"So you just ride somewhere, eat cake and then ride back".

"Normal people believe that if it ain't broken, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broken, it doesn't have enough features yet."

" I We're Ridin so Fast , I we're sucking Rabbits from the Hedges "   {Guy Martin}

#3 Guest_celticbiker_*

Guest_celticbiker_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2008 - 04:51 pm

QUOTE(ric @ Tue 5th Aug 2008, 04:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi to all,

I read through most of your postings, looked around, played with ebay, found what I was looking for on an obscure (to me) ad site, through a general for sale search............and bought an 06 900 with £15k on the clock. (Before I did I checked the year, model etc using your various tips and in the end found it easier to phone Yamaha UK direct!)

Rode it about 100 miles home in 45 degree heat and nearly roasted in a traffic jam, but now I've topped up the coolant and tyre pressures I'm getting used to it.

It has an after market seat (looks like a Motorcycleseatworks job based on an original seat) but it's lower than I would have expected; I can put both feet flat on the ground which I didn't expect to be able to at 5' 9" and 30" inside leg. Seemed too low at the start but I will wait to see how I get on before thinking seriously about changing it.

Also has a double bubble screen, not particularly good protection, but ok for now, and the gear indicator looks neat enough inside it.

The Scorpion pipes are staying as are the Give engine bars.

Now for the questions.............

The front pads look low to me, still seviceable for a bit. I've looked at what you say on this site and will probably go for Yamaha OEM ones; any advice on price so that I can decide whether to source them here in Spain in euros or get them from the UK? Or should I look at some others?I got these from e-bay and they work well in wet or dry conditions

Any thoughts on the low coolant level; the temp gauge rose quickly when stationary but didn't go into the red even if I did, and the level hasn't dropped since I topped it up. Does the system have an overflow/pressure release when it gets hot?? Temperature does rise quickly on the 900 but the fan does it's job ok. Low level could just be an oversight at last coolant change unless there is an obvious leak.

I want to get a worshop manual, any thoughts on the various ones on eBay? Don't bother. download it free from JBX's exellent site, have look around while you're there. You'll learn a lot about your new bike there

It's on Metzelers at the moment, and the front one is getting towards the limit, rear is ok for some time yet. Bike came with brand new Avon Storms, but would you fit the front only or change them as a pair? (And are they ok generally?) Yes change them as a pair. The Storms are a good tyre in wet and dry, have been using them for a while now, just trying PR2's at the moment to see if I can get better mileage

I think the standard horn is crap so I'm considering Stebel Magnum. Am I right to think it will bolt straight on, in place of the original, without needing to change the brackets and/or wiring? No idea, some one else will be along soon to help I'm sure

Check the air box mod while your at JBX's site this may help a little, of course a PC will help but to what degree I couldn't say

Rich

#4 Guest_ric_*

Guest_ric_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2008 - 06:56 pm

Thanks for the info. Have dowloaded the manual; the last update was 04, does anyone know if there are any morem since?

Now looking at a Givi topbox. Do you know if an E52 Maxia has to have the monorack arms or will the plate just srew to the bike's own rack.

Thanks

#5 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 07 August 2008 - 07:07 pm

QUOTE(ric @ Thu 7th Aug 2008, 07:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the info. Have dowloaded the manual; the last update was 04, does anyone know if there are any morem since?

Now looking at a Givi topbox. Do you know if an E52 Maxia has to have the monorack arms or will the plate just srew to the bike's own rack.

Thanks

Hi Ric you can screw/bolt the plate to the bike's existing rack as some other people have done but personally i prefer a Monorack for possibly more strength/stability. Wicklamulla

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#6 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 08 August 2008 - 08:50 am

dont get yamaha pads, Dunlopads are excellent good.gif

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#7 Guest_ric_*

Guest_ric_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2008 - 12:25 pm

thanks wicklamulla, will keep watching ebay, unless anyone on here wants to sell one?Cheersthanks TD, can you point me towards a source for the Dunlopads?thanks TD, can you point me towards a source for them?

#8 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 08 August 2008 - 12:26 pm

QUOTE(ric @ Fri 8th Aug 2008, 01:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thanks wicklamulla, will keep watching ebay, unless anyone on here wants to sell one?Cheersthanks TD, can you point me towards a source for the Dunlopads?

M&P http://www.mandp.co.uk
Wemoto http://www.wemoto.co.uk
Heinz Garlick http://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/

DP are distributed in the UK by TranAm, any shop that deals with them will be able to supply DPs good.gif

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users