#1 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 07 May 2019 - 08:11 pm

Be silly not to have the barrels skimmed when they go in for a rebore, not convinved they would need crack testing as been running fine on the bike, no point throwing more money away but wot do others think, yay or nay !

As i'll be getting a head replacement makes sense to have that skimmed also i would think !

Will decide wot else to do with the head when i get one re valve seats/guides etc but hoping a valve lap will be all wots required, fingers crossed.

The bottom end, well not got to it yet so post later.

Also will be researching a little about camshaft fixitways in case needed.

All and any advice from them wots dunnit appreciated although i may ignore silly suggestions like put it in the oven to melt it back into shape :D

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#2 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 07 May 2019 - 08:24 pm

Check barrels flat, you is rebore anyways so oval prolly not a prob. Check head flat, if not skim. Would put new seals in.

When you get to borrum end you may or may not be arsed to plastigauge.

Graphogen is a good friend to us slow bhoyos. Get yersen a tube for rebuild time.

Haynes and yamanual cover all the tolerances so it's just a case of making sure all bits are within spec and good nick.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#3 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 07 May 2019 - 08:34 pm

Graphogen.....thats the stuff I was telling you about but couldn't remember the name of Cliff.  Don't think you can skim the barrels matey.  If the zorst studs look like they've been hit with a hammer or bent, get the head pressure tested.  I had one that had suffered damage to the waterjacket near to the stud hole, didn't get it tested aforehand and only found out when engine was re-assembled and filled with fluids. :(

Get the new valve guide seals removed pronto, you'll then know if you're gona need any more new wans.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#4 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 09:23 pm

Graphogen it is then, i may be arsed to plastigauge very possibly likely maybe, may as well, dont really want to do the engwin twice, not got a straight edge to check head for flatness so mayhap err on the side of caution, yea good call Ian cos one of the studs is bent, assuming i get it, the bloke's a blinkin arse  :punishment:  me new sealio's aint been used yet, all wrapped up still. Did'nt realise could'nt skim barrels but makes sense i spose as the gaskets metal anyhoo to take up imperfections.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#5 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 09:29 pm

Dappppppppppps :huh: how much Graphogen am i gonna need 50g.....125g more expensive than Brandy  :lol:  also can ya use this on the cam lobes when they is smacking the lifters as well as everywhere else..

#6 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 08 May 2019 - 05:39 am

Ewe can borrow mine. A little goes a long way. Use on bits where oil critical and it will protect until enjun has time to prime/circ oil. So yes cam cams/crank/bores etc.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#7 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 07:14 am

Nice, i'll grab a small tube matey as a lot goes a long way :good: 

#8 TDrummer

TDrummer

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 05:14 pm

my machine shop only had to re-bore the cylinders

they re-surfaced the head (skim?)

it needed seats recut but not replaced (done)

had already planned to replace seals

replaced valves and springs too and exhaust valve guides

shop stated that ports looked good as is after cleaning

I had asked if necessary to port the head, they said doesn't need it due to the way Yamaha engineered them

#9 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:08 am

Good to know thanks, did you replace with oem valves/springs and guides (mucho dollar)  or did the shop have more reasonable priced alternatives, i mean that's quite expensive at oem prices, albeit practically a new head.

#10 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 03:05 pm

Inner gubbins like gear cogs and balance shafts, cleaning prior to installation then,, a dunk in white spirits and a lather up with a tooth brush or a spit and lick ??

#11 TDrummer

TDrummer

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 06:41 pm

Good to know thanks, did you replace with oem valves/springs and guides (mucho dollar)  or did the shop have more reasonable priced alternatives, i mean that's quite expensive at oem prices, albeit practically a new head.

OEM valves, springs, seals, maybe aftermarket guides (not sure but I think bronze)

Yeah not too cheap but reasonable enough to get a basically new head out of the deal

Yamaha dealer here in States supplied them

#12 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 08:40 am

Just a thorough wash and crub with some de-greaser, then allow to dry, followed by a lube.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#13 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 08:42 am

OEM valves, springs, seals, maybe aftermarket guides (not sure but I think bronze)

Yeah not too cheap but reasonable enough to get a basically new head out of the deal

Yamaha dealer here in States supplied them

Seems everybody is fitting phosfor bronze liners (valve guides) these days, i think TD you'll have a much sweeter deal on your side of the pond, over here it would cost between £600-£800  for all that work.

Just a thorough wash and crub with some de-greaser, then allow to dry, followed by a lube.

Thankee eweeeeee and goodnight am scoobered x

#14 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 08:51 am

Not everyone is fitting bronze liners, I think my guides were replaced.

#15 TDrummer

TDrummer

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 11:14 am

two months to go to get to the date doctor advised to stay off the bike until (one year anniversary)

me and the bike will need to be broken in again

#16 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 05:13 pm

Go easy TD :good:

#17 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 09:11 am

From the Destruction thread you can see my main oil clearances are in spec with the original colour shells...

Plastigauge measures converesly so the bigger the gauge measurement the smaller the squish and vice versa....so what's optimal in this case, i'll replace the bearing shells as all quite worn but, is my aim now to keep sizes (colours) as original to spec OR change it by changing shells (colours) i assume bigger squish area is the ideal or ?? 

Also wont new bearings shells tighten things up a tad...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users