Photo
- - - - -

Euro Breakdown Cover On An Old Tdm 850 ?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 rowe

rowe

arrived on last train

• 9 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 07 July 2019 - 07:38 pm

Hi all, any ideas or suggestions on companies who could provide some breakdown cover for my 2001 tdm 850 when I go on a european trip in a couple of  weeks ?

Fingers crossed.

Cheers

#2 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,105 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 07 July 2019 - 07:55 pm

Whatever ewe find beware small print where it may tell you recovery is at maximum to the value of the boike.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#3 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 07 July 2019 - 08:02 pm

Yes as above be extremely careful, if your in Northern Spain and your bike is worth a £1000 you aint getting home, in 20012 i had my 9r repatriated from Tignes in the French Alps, apparently the cost was £1800 give or take according to the pick up chap, ADAC are pretty good (Germany) but you need to look into buying membership from the UK which is possible, check out a few of the Mobile van/home forums, otherwise try and find cover for an older bike, often the max is 10 years of age..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#4 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 07 July 2019 - 10:21 pm

If you insure with carol nash you get european cover as standard on their breakdown bit, I think they realised bikes get nicked from beside the road and it's cheaper to recover than payout.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#5 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 08 July 2019 - 11:08 am

Hi all, any ideas or suggestions on companies who could provide some breakdown cover for my 2001 tdm 850 when I go on a european trip in a couple of  weeks ?

Fingers crossed.

Cheers

check yer chain and sprox afore ya leave, check the rear sprocket carrier bearing for excessive wobble,  inspect the tyres making sure they have plenty of thread,  carry a spare starter relay with you.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#6 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 11:21 am

If you insure with carol nash you get european cover as standard on their breakdown bit, I think they realised bikes get nicked from beside the road and it's cheaper to recover than payout.

Same with CN, my insurer in 2012, the service is very good but the age limit of bike may still apply plus the cost of repatriation versus the value of the bike.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#7 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 08 July 2019 - 03:35 pm

Just a question-why would you need breakdown cover? What is the chabce of needing such coverage and what would be the disaster not being covered? Statistically, you loose on insurance, hence obly sensible kind of insurance is mandatory ones and preventing financial disaster....
Bjørge

#8 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• 1,444 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 08 July 2019 - 05:10 pm

Yes as above be extremely careful, if your in Northern Spain and your bike is worth a £1000 you aint getting home, in 20012 i had my 9r repatriated from Tignes in the French Alps, apparently the cost was £1800 give or take according to the pick up chap, ADAC are pretty good (Germany) but you need to look into buying membership from the UK which is possible, check out a few of the Mobile van/home forums, otherwise try and find cover for an older bike, often the max is 10 years of age..

ADAC is no longer available for UK residents

2004 900 - Blue with lots of goodies

2012 900 - Still adding shiny bits. Was black, changed to white and now back to black again.

#9 rowe

rowe

arrived on last train

• 9 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 08 July 2019 - 06:37 pm

Hi again, already got a spare starter relay, needed one a few years ago on a previous TDM, so I know of that weakness etc.

Chain & sprockets are all good, tyres will do this next short trip easily, got a sensible toolkit under the seat, sat nav mounted, a disc lock, duct tape, cable ties, wet weather gear and an extra bog roll.

Over the years on the 3 previous TDM's I have covered many, many thousand miles around Europe, but then again I did have the peace of mind of having some sort of cover - which was probably not worth the paper it was written on I admit.

This time, I ain't paying nearly £80 for 6 days of cover.

I will check out a few bank accounts that promise travel and breakdown insurance and see if they are any good.

Cheers 

#10 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 08 July 2019 - 07:11 pm

Hi again, already got a spare starter relay, needed one a few years ago on a previous TDM, so I know of that weakness etc.

Chain & sprockets are all good, tyres will do this next short trip easily, got a sensible toolkit under the seat, sat nav mounted, a disc lock, duct tape, cable ties, wet weather gear and an extra bog roll.

Over the years on the 3 previous TDM's I have covered many, many thousand miles around Europe, but then again I did have the peace of mind of having some sort of cover - which was probably not worth the paper it was written on I admit.

This time, I ain't paying nearly £80 for 6 days of cover.

I will check out a few bank accounts that promise travel and breakdown insurance and see if they are any good.

Cheers 

Good luck with that  - HSBC do include breakdown cover on their Premier Accounts (no longer on Advance Accounts), however it is limited to 125cc (I pushed them to check this when they said, in a somewhat blase/cavalier way, that it covered all motorcycles) = it's of no use to me or you. :punishment:

Edit The MC MUST be yours too with HSBC.

Enjoy your trip.

Edited by Favs, 08 July 2019 - 07:13 pm.

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#11 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 09 July 2019 - 08:48 am

Just a question-why would you need breakdown cover? What is the chabce of needing such coverage and what would be the disaster not being covered? Statistically, you loose on insurance, hence obly sensible kind of insurance is mandatory ones and preventing financial disaster....

Because if you break down and need rescuing to a repair place when you're miles from anywhere, it could cost a lot of money.  Breakdown cover would pay for this, along with hotel if needed, or alternative transport.  Similarly, if you need to get the bike back home you could be looking at a £1000+ bill, appropriate breakdown cover would pay this.

Not sure breakdown cover would affect yer insurance premiums, they're 2 totally different things, but I could be wrong.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#12 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,105 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 08:59 am

I don't think breakdown are gonna recover me £100 TDM from euro..... But worse would be going thinking that they will!!!

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#13 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 09 July 2019 - 09:04 am

That's why I mentioned appropriate breakdown cover. :lol:

Seem to recall I got breakdown cover on the 2002 9'er in 2016.  Can't remember the exact details of what I was covered for though.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#14 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,105 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 09:38 am

If dabbers cost was 1800...I wonder how many TDMs would fall into the recover category these days....

Hmmm if I get a chance to go back anytime it's def summat worth a thought. Guess my previous trips I had thought that it will either make it else I'd fix it else it would be chucked in the hedge and take shank's home. :0)

#15 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 05:17 pm

If dabbers cost was 1800...I wonder how many TDMs would fall into the recover category these days....

Hmmm if I get a chance to go back anytime it's def summat worth a thought. Guess my previous trips I had thought that it will either make it else I'd fix it else it would be chucked in the hedge and take shank's home. :0)

Daps your to attached to take shank's home, it's a worry on a older bike but thinkin on, sure i've seen cover for classic bikes someplace around the web, you is classic aint ya.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users