#1 SJCA

SJCA

discovering Carpe

• 13 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 08 May 2019 - 04:00 pm

Hello all,

New member and subscriber here.

Picked up my 2002 TDM 900 last Friday and after a quick oil change gave it a 200 mile blast to see my mate PICARD (Thanks for the brew mate). Like most people and talking to 'The Man'  I had the usual jerkiness on slight throttle and poor response below 3000 rpm (Air Filter mod done, CO checked and reading 20/25). I've yet to synchronize the throttles so am hoping this may help things. Otherwise, great bike very comfortable for me although I found the buffeting on the helmet and noise a bit  of a nuisance. ( Not so bad with tail wind). A Touring screen is fitted, (it's taller than the standard screen) so may try to move that outward a bit. Not sure if you know but the Air Filter is the same as a Nissan Note 1.2 / Honda Civic Mk5 1.4 and a whole lot of other Nissan/Renault cars. Much cheaper than getting from a bike shop.I have the cross reference list if anyone needs it.also wondered if my bike used to belong to anyone on here ( Reg LF02 YTE) dark blue. It's a great site and I look forward to contributing when I can..Cheers, Steve

#2 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,395 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 08 May 2019 - 05:09 pm

Greetings & ta for the air cleaner info.

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#3 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,747 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 08 May 2019 - 05:24 pm

Good info re the air filter Steve, the Renault filter is mentioned on JBX also, cant believe ya only got a cuppa out of the old boy, he normally lays on a big cake when i visit :)

Welcome to the site.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#4 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 08 May 2019 - 06:33 pm

Don't listen Steve, I'm known for keeping my cake to myself!! Glad you got home ok. Any misfires??
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#5 SJCA

SJCA

discovering Carpe

• 13 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 08:05 pm

No misfires, rain stopped so I recon things dried out. That oil filter o ring is weeping, another on order. Couple of days free so depending on weather I should get round to sorting. Hope the decorating is going well.

#6 dablik

dablik

• 10,747 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 09:04 pm

Steve did you buy the Silver 9r for sale on Mersyside then !!

Edited by dablik, 08 May 2019 - 09:04 pm.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#7 SJCA

SJCA

discovering Carpe

• 13 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 09:47 pm

No, bought from Brownhills area, its a dark blue 2002 model with 50k.I'll get a photo uploaded tomorrow to see if anyone recognises it.

#8 dablik

dablik

• 10,747 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 07:18 am

:good:

#9 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 09 May 2019 - 08:55 am

Hi and welcome Steve.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#10 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 09 May 2019 - 09:28 am

gave it a 200 mile blast to see my mate PICARD

He has friends?  :huh:  Hello and welcome Steve  :welcome:

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#11 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 11:49 am

Welcome!

#12 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 09 May 2019 - 12:12 pm

He has friends?  :huh:  Hello and welcome Steve  :welcome:

Looks like one less than I thought had......mate!
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#13 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 09 May 2019 - 02:06 pm

Looks like one less than I thought had......mate!

:P  You know I love you really  :wub:

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#14 SJCA

SJCA

discovering Carpe

• 13 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 07:15 pm

Guys, tried to upload picture of bike but it exceeds the 3MB. Any ideas how I can get round this ?

Found out it already has a K&N air filter installed, rather dirty though. I have a new filter to replace it until I get the K & N cleaned. Found vacuum pipe on throttle body was split on cylinder 2, about to syncro throttle bodies and it decided to pour down........... pushed bike into garage, I will finish this tomorrow.

#15 poppykle

poppykle

really likes Carpe

• 83 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 10 May 2019 - 01:25 am

Guys, tried to upload picture of bike but it exceeds the 3MB. Any ideas how I can get round this ?

Found out it already has a K&N air filter installed, rather dirty though. I have a new filter to replace it until I get the K & N cleaned. Found vacuum pipe on throttle body was split on cylinder 2, about to syncro throttle bodies and it decided to pour down........... pushed bike into garage, I will finish this tomorrow.

You could try editing your picture in paint and save it in a different format (possibly .jpg) This should reduce the file size and will allow you to keep the original. 

#16 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 10:02 am

Some (free) photo apps will allow you to reduce the actual size of a photo. As poppykle says, save it as .jpg an those two thing should bring the size down.

#17 SJCA

SJCA

discovering Carpe

• 13 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 05:12 pm

Ok, resized photo's. Colour is not black just dark blue. Anyone recognize the bike?

Bad news in syncro the throttles, L.H cylinder ( No 1 I think) syncro screw is knackered (difficult to get at). R.H. Cylinder is fine. Throttles out of sync (300 and 260 vacuum). Adjusting R.H screw made little difference, L.H.screw needs adj. Short of removing the Injection unit any ideas ? Finally stopped the weeping oil leak on the Filter housing with new o rings.Attached File  TDM 900.jpg   133.29KB   0 downloadsAttached File  TDM 900 (1).jpg   147.69KB   0 downloads

#18 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 10 May 2019 - 06:34 pm

All I can suggest is removing the throttle bodies and repairing/fixing the knackered adjustment screw.  Maybe possible to replace the screw if you can get it out.  Or, possibly buying another set of TB's.  Can't see how else you're gonna balance them if adjusting no.2 doesn't make any difference.

I'm assuming you had the engine fully warmed up and the tickover was on the low side when you tried adjustment ?

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#19 SJCA

SJCA

discovering Carpe

• 13 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 07:34 pm

Yes, bike well warmed up and ticking over about 1200 rpm. Looks like a strip down then.

#20 LeonWolf

LeonWolf

sticking around

• 20 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 19 May 2019 - 08:21 pm

Does the Nissan note filter work for 2003 900 too?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users