dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:50 pm

pimp.gif

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#22 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:36 pm

QUOTE(TDMTAM @ Sun 17th Jun 2012, 10:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I will be doing this in the next few weeks as part of a major service. One thing I did notice on my 9'er as the fork dust seals have corroded so I will need to change them ASAP the seals them self looked fine with no visible leaks going to replace the cir-clip to as its a bit corroded as well.

Did you get around to doing the dust seals Tam? Mine need doing too. Once the fork legs are off the bike, do the dust seals just prise off? My seals aren't leaking either, so I don't want to do a full fork strip.

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#23 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• 1,726 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:10 pm

Yeh, dust seals just pop out.
Give it a good clean in there while you have them off.
A good coating of grease or Vaseline will prevent any future corrosion too.

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste

(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help

(")-(") him gain world domination!

#24 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:41 am

wifgeni.gif
MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#25 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:52 am

Thanks guys, that's my weekend fettle planned then - forks out, dust seal replacement and a fresh dose of 15w oil.

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#26 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:18 pm

Is there any advice on whether you should use fully synthetic, semi, etc? any oil better or worse than another from anyone's experience?

Ta.

#27 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:37 pm

QUOTE(TKH @ Mon 13th Aug 2012, 07:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is there any advice on whether you should use fully synthetic, semi, etc? any oil better or worse than another from anyone's experience?

Ta.

Any of the 'Hydraulic' type oils specific fork oil or Auto transmission oil or bespoke hydraulic oils, all these are anti-frothing most engine/general oils tend to froth and damping will be unpredictable.

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#28 drumwrecker

drumwrecker

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:52 pm

Are the fork seals rubber?
If so make sure you use proper red rubber grease.
Ordinary HMP grease with attack rubber and cause it to swell and cease to seal.
I had a rubber bush on my VFR swell by at least 25% because the previous owner greased it.
There are a lot of greases out there for specific purposes.
1953 BSA Bantam, 1960 Ariel Arrow, 1948 Vincent Rapide, 1959 Matchless G11, AJS 250CSR, 1986 BMW K75s, Suzuki 1999 GS500E, 2002 Suzuki SV650, 1991 VFR750 FL, 2007 TDM900

#29 drumwrecker

drumwrecker

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:00 pm

I lifted this off the VVFR forum as I thought it might be of help.

Oil.
Good slippery stuff but it’s a liquid and runs every where and can boil off at higher temperatures. Best used in a bath type application where the oil can fall into a container and get recycled back to where its needed, typical example would be the inside of your engine. Or a total loss type system like a Scott oiler.

Grease.
Is essentially Oil in a paste forming a semi solid material. This is good slippery stuff and great for lubricating some thing where you don’t especially need very low drag or where you can’t economically provide an oil bath. A typical application would be wheel bearings spinning at a limited RPM.

High temperature grease.
As above but suited for temperatures a little higher. A typical application would be high speed bearings which run at temperatures above about 110 C.

Molybdenum grease.
Grease as above with molybdenum and probably other solid particle friction and adhesion modifiers. Molybdenum is a slippery metal and is added to grease to act as a coating to avoid bearing metal to bearing metal contact under high loads. Typical application heavily loaded roller or plain bearings.

Copper slip
Is essentially Copper flakes in a paste. This is ideal for areas where high surface temperatures boil off the paste and the copper flakes remain coating the surface of the components and reduce friction between the two components. It works very well provided there is very limited travel between the two components. A typical application would be certain locations with in brake assemblies more of an anti sieze material than a lubricant.

Most of the above products are petroleum based, reliable tried trusted. Petroleum has an unfortunates effect on rubber, it attacks it making it initially swell then harden. Nitrile rubber is more resistant to petrol but not impervious. If you are working next to a hydraulic system then ordinary petroleum based grease can seep under hydraulic seals, attack the seal and contaminate the hydraulic system. For hydraulic systems the red rubber grease has special properties, it will not attack rubber and will not creep under the hydraulic seals.

Red grease will not keep your spider man suit supple. It will provide a protective coating preventing the deterioration of the rubber caused by petroleum products. So in the entirely feasible event that you get lucky in Essex with Esso girl (or reading your post, Esso man) then your suit won’t suffer swelling and cracking, unless of course you remove the protective film and you deliberately risk swelling and crackin. The consequences of meeting an old flame or getting on like a house on fire are of course entirely yours to bare.

1953 BSA Bantam, 1960 Ariel Arrow, 1948 Vincent Rapide, 1959 Matchless G11, AJS 250CSR, 1986 BMW K75s, Suzuki 1999 GS500E, 2002 Suzuki SV650, 1991 VFR750 FL, 2007 TDM900

#30 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:02 pm

Cheers guys. Is silicone grease the same as the red rubber grease. I have a clear silicone grease that I use for bits and pieces but not electrics.

#31 drumwrecker

drumwrecker

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:23 pm

I would say no it isn't.
I have a can of Maplin silicon grease spray that I use on electrics e.g. on the contacts inside my old Garmin Quest bike mount. It was supposed to be waterproof but wasn't.

#32 howie

howie

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:34 pm

Thanks Celtic. I have just changed my fork oil your guide/pics made it easy,the old oil was a purple/red colour, would that be the OE yam oil?

#33 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• 1,726 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:03 pm

Couldn't say really, if the previous owner was anything like me they would have changed it every year.

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste

(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help

(")-(") him gain world domination!

#34 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:01 pm

Silicone grease is erm made of silicone, it will not eat your rubber seals and will work fine, but red rubber grease is meant for brake seals and oil seals and doesn't affect brake fluid. Been around for years, made of castor oil and china clays. Here is all the blurb on it. 

http://www.redrubbergrease.com/

A 1lb tin will last for the rest of your biking days and then some. Lube your brake pistons and seals in it too.

If you haven't got a 27mm spanner 1. 1/16th inch AF is 26.98mm and will fit.

Try to use a six point socket on the alloy cap if possible it will cause less deformation if it is tight as it has more drive contact area.

3894833_f260.jpg

The Walldrive system Sockets take this six point idea further and drive on the faces of the flats.

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B000RO1PRG

Edited by leehenty, 07 May 2013 - 06:41 pm.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#35 danceswithmopeds

danceswithmopeds

full o shoite

• 2,425 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:16 pm

Hi Lee, these Walldrive sockets sound very much like same principle as "Metrinch" sockets and spanners. They fit AF and metric, and because they put pressure on the flat of a bolt, the won't damage the corners.

Saved me a lot of times.

#36 the969

the969

sticking around

• 28 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 08:49 am

Anyone know what spec the standard fork oil is? Owners manual (850) remains inscrutable on the subject....

Thinking of going for a slightly heavier grade or reducing the air gap.

#37 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 12 June 2019 - 05:48 pm

Anyone know what spec the standard fork oil is? Owners manual (850) remains inscrutable on the subject....

Thinking of going for a slightly heavier grade or reducing the air gap.

SAE10 I think. I’ve put a 50/50 mix of 10 and 15 in my 900.

84 Honda XL600R  :)

04 TDM900  :good:

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#38 the969

the969

sticking around

• 28 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 06:27 pm

SAE10 I think. I’ve put a 50/50 mix of 10 and 15 in my 900.

Cheers Jim, 15w sounds a reasonable bet in the 850 as well.

#39 Scottie21uk

Scottie21uk

arrived on last train

• 1 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 02 August 2019 - 09:04 pm

I started doing my fork seals today on my 2006 TDM 900.

First time I've attempted fork seals and when i took the forks apart ive found the internals are different on each fork. the left hand side has 2 spacers where as the right hand side has the same internals as shown in the workshop manual.

Changing seals etch was easy enough but for the love of me I can't get the internals back together. 

I have the damper rod in and measure the air gap and get the level current but when trying to reassemble the rod keeps dropping out of the cap and into the fork itself which i then have to fish out.

The only solution i can see is to pour all the fluid into a container once measured, rebuild the internals, fit them and then repair the measured fluid?

If theres an easier way could somebody let me know?

#40 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 05:32 am

You pour the oil in after assembling everything but the top cap, right ? ...and at that time, forks are extended to full length...

Edited by Bjørge, 05 August 2019 - 05:32 am.

Bjørge

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users