#281 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,671 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 28 June 2019 - 08:55 pm

. I am going to retard the ignition at the 2 and 5% areas from 2000rpm to 3500rpm, as I can feel it hunting every so slightly. Best to to describe it is it feels like a hoss straining at the leash to take off. I want it to happy content to trott along in that zone, it makes for more pleasant cruising.

I just chuckled...have you ridden a  KTM ? I know a few people who've bought them and then quickly changed them after saying the characteristic  'instant readiness' (particularly the 950 and 990 ) state of tune  that they run in at steady speed, is exactly the reason they got rid of them for, and what they really wanted was something tamer, but which had the potential if you demanded it

Makes unusual sense that you can feel the characteristic of the bike you borrowed the map from.  I know people who tune their ECU to get that characteristic, to make the bike feel more aggressive

I have to admit, that since getting the KTM620 in September, and even after crashing it when we hit a deer,  I've ridden my TDM only twice. I find that same "urgency mode"  characteristic to be an invitation to have a bit of fun. The Samios remap can feel a bit more urgent than the standard map, but it's not quite in KTM territory. And after saying that.... I  made the effort to go out on the little KTM tonight even after a really heavy week at work, just knowing that I would come back feeling much better :)

If there's one thing about it that makes it particularly fun though, it's the light weight. Reminds me of an old Honda 400/4 Supersport or similar, light with an engine that can poke you down the road quicker than you think it probably should.

And just today I decided it's time to make way for a TDM resurrection, as I've got curious to learn if the new skills I got riding the KTM (I've enjoyed a lot of the old daft stuff, because it feels controllable)..........and come to think of it........when I say 'new skills' I might actually just mean the silly stuff you did when you was nay high to a grasshopper. I wonder if any of it has come to stick and might be applicable to riding the bigger bike.  

But I don't think I'll be pushing the TDM's bars down into tight corners as much as this supermoto hooligan stuff lets you do, it's pretty much the case of you pick the line before the corner, any line, and the bike will follow it if you try hard enough !

Hehehe, hopefully this doesn't all end in an obituary to somebody who's famous last words were " I wonder if I can do that on a bigger bike now".  :)

A 990 Superduke sir ?   Oh yes please, and bring the tissues too :)

Edited by fixitsan, 28 June 2019 - 10:07 pm.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#282 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 01 July 2019 - 10:59 am

yep, thats pretty much what I thought too. I am going back the maintenance throttle off a bit to calm it down a bit. Not too much though as I still like the incredible fuel economy its now giving me. 

clutch question - you can buy a set of plates on ebay for around £30.00 m and p sell them for 65 quid.  has anyone tried the cheaper ones?

#283 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 11:42 am

I got heavy duty plates for about that money, and fitted 3 out of a set of 6 heavy duty springs. I got clutch slippage after the Samios remap

#284 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 01:56 pm

I am getting a full set of ebc plates. sod it.  

I'll just leave the springs for now but if it slips they will get upgraded too. 

edit: sod it I will get hte springs too. It will irritate me if I have to go back in. I like to do a job once. 

Edited by Coxylaad, 01 July 2019 - 01:59 pm.

#285 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 02:36 pm

yep, thats pretty much what I thought too. I am going back the maintenance throttle off a bit to calm it down a bit. Not too much though as I still like the incredible fuel economy its now giving me. 

Incredible fuel economy isn't something you got from the KTM map !  I've heard the 950 SM can go down to below 80 miles on a tankful :)

I am getting a full set of ebc plates. sod it.  

I'll just leave the springs for now but if it slips they will get upgraded too. 

edit: sod it I will get hte springs too. It will irritate me if I have to go back in. I like to do a job once. 

You'ld probably get by with just the springs. and use the original plates. I'm down in Sunderland for the next 3 days, if I could find my 3 unused HD springs I could bring them with me, or are you going for the full set of 6 ?  I think Favs did 3 HD springs too

#286 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 02:47 pm

i am running a hydraulic clutch setup so a heavy lever isn't really a problem. that said I would prefer not to go too heavy and put stress on all the clutch actuating parts.

If you are kicking about in the area and you can find the springs I'll certainly give them a go!

#287 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 04:37 pm

i am running a hydraulic clutch setup so a heavy lever isn't really a problem. that said I would prefer not to go too heavy and put stress on all the clutch actuating parts.

If you are kicking about in the area and you can find the springs I'll certainly give them a go!

I found them.

Just realised I won't be in Sunderland, but Seaham during the day, driving down the A19 to York area in the evening, if that's any good

#288 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 09:37 pm

jesus even better. I live 2 minutes from the a19 about 2 mile south of Peterlee!

You will pass within a mile of my house 

Edited by Coxylaad, 01 July 2019 - 09:38 pm.

#289 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 11:01 am

I'll keep you posted. Hoping to finish by 4.30 today. I can always pop them through your letterbox

#290 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 12:22 pm

jesus even better. I live 2 minutes from the a19 about 2 mile south of Peterlee!

You will pass within a mile of my house 

Tried sending a message mate but get an error saying you can't receive more messages. Is your mailbox full ?
If you want to send me a message with your address anyway I think I'll be passing between 4 and 5. Should be the same hours tomorrow too.

#291 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 01:17 pm

ive cleared my inbox down now.

I'll send you my address. I wont get in until around 5pm however. 

#292 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 06:50 pm

Don't get just fitting heavier springs, especially to a hydraulic setup when the original friction plates have done around 100,000 miles  :huh:

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#293 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 07:31 pm

Don't get just fitting heavier springs, especially to a hydraulic setup when the original friction plates have done around 100,000 miles  :huh:

Normally no, but just to test a theory it's only 20 minutes and then you can evaluate the way to go next

#294 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 10:26 pm

new clutch plates and spring installed. Ive got 6 heavy duty springs in there, as the dealer threw them in as part of the kit. I fitted them all, the bite is now strong with this one! 

no slip what so ever and I can now open the bike up properly. she flies! 

the bike is has a bit of a rattle/tappety noise around 2000 to 2500rpm. I dont recall hearing that. when I stop and the bike is ticking over I cant really hear anything. I was thinking my timing chain tensioner was on the way out but I am now starting to think its all in my head! 

Edited by Coxylaad, 06 July 2019 - 10:28 pm.

#295 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 11:29 pm

My MOT tester is an ex dealer technician, he told me about undoing the tensioner screws just enough to let the adjuster click out one notch, then retighten it

#296 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 03:24 pm

i wonder how long the cam chain tensioner lasts on these things

#297 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 08 July 2019 - 03:49 pm

has it had a new cam chain atall atall?  moight be prudent to compare it to anudder 900 as yer ears may be playing a trick on ya?  If not get yer credit card out.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#298 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 08 July 2019 - 08:33 pm

Depends. Is this a pre 2005ish model Mr Laad? I seem to recall it is. The early ones had a design issue with the camchain tensioner and the part number was superseded with one with a different internal mechanism. I swapped the one on my 2002 MY at about 10k miles, it's still doing sterling work at 100k miles. Given it's previous owner history I suspect it has had the later tensioner fitted at some point in its life.

Edited by Matlock, 08 July 2019 - 08:34 pm.

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#299 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 09:32 pm

I changed it for a new type at roughly 15k

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#300 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,395 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 09 July 2019 - 07:44 am

If you want to hear another, side by side - I'm living a few miles away & not an axe murderer :P

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users