29 replies to this topic

#21 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 04 May 2020 - 01:00 pm

That makes 2 of us - did it for an MkI in Germany 2005 and for a 9er in UK 2017 

Was the Bergen ferry still going from Newcastle or did you have to ride all the way back up from Denmark?

Germany can't have been an afternoon ride either!

A modest lotto win might tip the scales in a TRX's favour, though!

#22 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 04 May 2020 - 01:01 pm

That makes 2 of us - did it for an MkI in Germany 2005 and for a 9er in UK 2017 

Did you scour e-bay for a headlight or end up buying new?  I must get round to buying a Euro spec headlight for UK spec 900 at some point.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#23 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 04 May 2020 - 01:03 pm

That's something I've always fancied but would never be able to justify even to myself :D

The UK spec ones with the sidecar on the other side are apparently a bit crap as they have a chain drive to the chair wheel that isn't all that reliable.  I now live in a country on the other side of the road but really have no need for the space or offroad ability :D

I bought the Sportman: it has engageanble sidecar drive.... Lots of fun, but only on loose ground as it's a fixed transmission.  I have ridden that in -18c and foot deep snow and it was fuuuuuun!!

I bought it initially as I couldn't imagine surviving the 9 month winter without having handlebars and a saddle.

And then I only did 200 km last year: oh the shame....

#24 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 05 May 2020 - 06:22 am

Was the Bergen ferry still going from Newcastle or did you have to ride all the way back up from Denmark?

Germany can't have been an afternoon ride either!

A modest lotto win might tip the scales in a TRX's favour, though!

Naw, had to drive it landside. 2000kms, think I used some 3 days. A nice trip, but seriously squared off the rear tyre. Only challenge was driving in rain and dark in Sweden as I figured Dagosh (the carpe member I swapped headlights with) had adjusted his euro headlights to maximum dip not to pi** off the English - so I could see about nothing.

Drove back home without insurance, though, as the UK way of SORN'ing export bikes isn't compatible with Norwegian insurance products. Importing from Germany it's the more common export plate/insurance routine - a bit mor fiddly as you need to export register the bike before you leave but then you can take a one month roundtrip i Europe on export plates.

I took the MkI from south of Frankfurt in 2005 - 1600kms in 25 hours. That was an adventure  :pimp: as I hadn't owned a bike for 12 years or so. 

Did you scour e-bay for a headlight or end up buying new?  I must get round to buying a Euro spec headlight for UK spec 900 at some point.

I swapped headlights and instrument panel with dagosh88

Bjørge

#25 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,113 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 05 May 2020 - 07:02 am

Took one for a test ride, it was ok. Cramped and diddy but fun.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#26 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,211 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 05 May 2020 - 09:25 am

Took one for a test ride, it was ok. Cramped and diddy butt fun.

:unsure2:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#27 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,113 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 05 May 2020 - 03:12 pm

I'm guessing that's why the weewanhaswan
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#28 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,211 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 05 May 2020 - 04:00 pm

:lol:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#29 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,744 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 05 May 2020 - 06:27 pm

I wudn mind one if it were bodged to sit upright..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#30 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 05 May 2020 - 08:56 pm

Bloke we met in Germany the first time Danny, Tony, Steve and Myself went over had one with bar risers on to get a more upright position he reckoned was a lot more comfortable.  He had to space the faring forward slightly for it to fit though.

ETA: Only photo I had was from a way off looks like he'd maybe put longer forks on it.  Don't let Dannyboy fool you, it's not his!

qaKQogT.jpg?1

Edited by ChrisG, 05 May 2020 - 09:05 pm.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users