Photo
- - - - -

What Would You Buy Instead? (Hypothetical Scenario)

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 10 May 2020 - 09:52 pm

I never had a new bike yet either !

1991 was the one and only time i bought a brand new bike,  i have no desire to ever own a new one again.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#22 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• 2,049 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 10 May 2020 - 10:13 pm

The only bike on my radar is a T7. I kinda view it as the dirty version of a TDM I wanted to create until I realised that the bike would get heavier, not lighter.

Similar engine characteristics, it's a Yamaha, less fear and more fun on our gravel roads and high country passes. Probably still quite agile in the tarmac twisties, too.

Powerful bikes are an exercise in frustration where I live, most of the B roads are like west coast Scottish peninsula roads and have gravel "shortcuts" to connect them.

A Ducati scrambler catches my eye, love the look of it. But it's a Ducati.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#23 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 11 May 2020 - 04:48 am

I never had a new bike yet either !

I have had one. Loved it but the cost of insurance, repayments 3 rears in the first year and warranty required dealer servicing meant it was sold within a year.

#24 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 08:49 am

I have had one. Loved it but the cost of insurance, repayments 3 rears in the first year and warranty required dealer servicing meant it was sold within a year.

Thinking about it the servicing costs are my major bugbear and probably the deciding factor why I won't buy a new one, after price itself.

One of my other hobbies has always been photography, I might not use a camera for a year or two but then I get back into it for a while, you know how these things go. Camera tech keeps advancing in many ways and directions, but not usually very far each iteration.  There's a photographer in my Youtube watch list who makes great images using older cameras and encourages others to do the same by promoting the idea that it is sometimes better to take the money you would have spent on a new camera and save it, for day trips out, maybe a flight to somewhere you haven't been before, to reignite your creative imagination with new subjects.

I feel the same about bikes now - rather than spend yet more money on another bike, I might buy a ferry ticket to an island, or book into a B&B somewhere, finding it really easy to justify the costs after taking into account the savings I've made by riding an 'old faithful' to new places. (Breakdown cover for peace of mind, of course !)

"Do you fancy coming away with us for the weekend, a stopover at a decent hotel ?" 

"I'ld love to mate but I can't afford it, I've just bought a new bike"  !

Edited by fixitsan, 11 May 2020 - 08:53 am.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#25 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 01:58 pm

All true and I keep telling myself once Ive bought all these spares for the TDM Im sorted for 3 years or so. Ill only need to worry about grease linkages and oil changes!

#26 shadowjack

shadowjack

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 173 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 12 May 2020 - 06:49 am

Not really a hypothetical for me.

Had a MkII  850 for about 90,000 kms, fine bike and toured top to bottom, side to side of Aotearoa on it. 

Sold it and bought a DR650; again, toured the length and breadth, etc, etc, and was waiting for the T7 to turn up when the DR650 ate third gear, destroying the motor.

Commuting requirements and so forth then found me in possession of a 2018 650 V-Strom. Verrry similar in application and style to the TDM, but with the advantage of a 19" front wheel, and a substantial dealer network for a bike that isn't an orphan (in NZ terms, anyway).

The 650 doesn't have quite the outright power and torque of the TDM, but is (after some (OK, a lot) fettling for ergonomics) comfortable for touring the length...well, you get the picture. Handy (with the right tyres) on gravel, pretty nice in twistier stuff, great for the longer hauls and the commute.

If more power is required, get the 1000.

So: not a T7, but a bike very well suited for my riding requirements.

On another note - you guys have yeast? Over the last 7 weeks of lockdown, I've missed my focaccia, pizza base...

#27 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 12 May 2020 - 11:21 am

When I replaced my Mk1 850 a few years back the only bike I could think of to replace it was a 900 :D  Better long distance bikes but not as good on really twisty backroads.

I really don't know what I'd go for if I was buying now.  The Multistrada 950(?) looks nice, and I like the look of a few KTMs but they're not going to match the TDM's reliability or ease of maintenance.  Tiger 800, F800GS, Tracer, Africa Twin...  I think I'd have to a lot of test rides.

As for yeast, yes but it took a 30km cycle ride on Friday to get it.  Just pulled a fresh loaf out of the oven. :badgerrock:

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#28 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 11:25 am

On another note - you guys have yeast? Over the last 7 weeks of lockdown, I've missed my focaccia, pizza base...

Supermarkets often give out live yeast if asked, assuming they have an in-house bakery

#29 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 05:01 pm

On another note - you guys have yeast?

Yes. The itching is driving me nuts...

#30 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 12 May 2020 - 06:06 pm

I'd have a cross 800VFR but the clutch is quite heavy and the arthritis in my wrist wont allow it. They don't do c CT version of the 800...

#31 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 10:45 am

After giving it a bit more thought, if I had the money I would like one of these https://lyndonposkit...and-rally-bikes

#32 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 15 May 2020 - 12:13 pm

I have had my TDM since 2005, it's been stone reliable. It's only got 36K on clock I won't ever need a new bike. For mile munching fast and furious it's ideal. For smiles per mile on a sunny day on country lanes, I got a Royal Enfield 500 classic. The RE has one serious issue, it's difficult to get away from cafes due to any number of old blokes wanting to chat about it.
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#33 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• 1,444 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 15 May 2020 - 12:54 pm

I have had my TDM since 2005, it's been stone reliable. It's only got 36K on clock I won't ever need a new bike. For mile munching fast and furious it's ideal. For smiles per mile on a sunny day on country lanes, I got a Royal Enfield 500 classic. The RE has one serious issue, it's difficult to get away from cafes due to any number of old blokes wanting to chat about it.

I don't want to state the obvious, Lee, but aren't you an old bloke too (just like me)?

2004 900 - Blue with lots of goodies

2012 900 - Still adding shiny bits. Was black, changed to white and now back to black again.

#34 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 15 May 2020 - 02:44 pm

KTM SMT or a 950/990 Adventure, but they’re all pre 2010 designs. I guess, post 2010, an Africa Twin 1000 or 1100 - but it ain’t going to happen. More likely an RE Himalayan or possibly an Interceptor?

Edited by Jim, 15 May 2020 - 02:45 pm.

84 Honda XL600R  :)

04 TDM900  :good:

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#35 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 15 May 2020 - 05:31 pm

I'm 57 years young me. I'm mean really old boys who rode Royal Enfield in WW2.
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#36 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 15 May 2020 - 07:57 pm

Like Rallyist ? :D

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#37 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 16 May 2020 - 07:03 am

Like Rallyist ? :D

Oi!

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#38 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 16 May 2020 - 07:07 am

Hrumph
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#39 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,508 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 10:26 am

I would have a TDM now if it had not become too (top) heavy for me. Instead, after a temporary move to an MT-03 single, I have the perfect bike for me: MT-07.
1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#40 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 03:58 pm

At the grocers today, heard a bike start up - uneven, noisy 2-pot - clearly a Ducati or the like 😀
Had to wait for it to appear....
....an MT-07 with some loud pipes 😎
Bjørge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users