• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#21 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 23 December 2016 - 09:31 pm

Looks tidy.  Nice to see the Givi Wingracks rot just as fast if you don't use them, those don't look any worse than my high mileage ones did :D

ya the coating must lift and flake off.  The Nylon Kappa wing racks don't suffer from this but they do fade / bleach a bit but black boot polish on a cloth fixes this and makes it loike new again.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#22 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 23 December 2016 - 09:59 pm

Lovely! Perhaps a bit OTT with minging the cams - drop the oil, refill and crank it over on the starter with the ignition coil disconnected, then start it up should be just fine - but I'm a lazy barsteward.

Interesting that it cost £4750 in'91 - a Mk2 cost £7300 in 1997 and a MT07 Tracer is £6300 now  :pimp:

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#23 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 23 December 2016 - 10:03 pm

I paid £4999 for a brand spanking new Niner in 2002  

It's the old Yamaha thing of bringing them in far to dear to start off with, then dropping it by miles They did the same with the Fazer 1000 & the R1

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#24 madmopedracer

madmopedracer

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 24 December 2016 - 12:54 am

Here we go. Not got many pics as it's doon the road on a farm undercover atm.

looks tidy

#25 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 24 December 2016 - 11:30 am

I paid £4999 for a brand spanking new Niner in 2002  

It's the old Yamaha thing of bringing them in far to dear to start off with, then dropping it by miles They did the same with the Fazer 1000 & the R1

Yep i remember that 'El Micko'.  The Fazer thou was absolutely silly money when they first came out (bout £8.5 - £9k maybe?) and they didn't sell well atall.  Tink the press wasn't too kind to them as a result, but look at how good value fer money they are now though!  Stonking boike.  

I cudda bought a new 900 in 2002 ferra bout 4.5 - 5k but opted to buy 'No.7' instead simply cos i didn't wanna be a guinea pig on a completely new bike and thought oil keep the 850 fer 2 years then buy a new 9er once they have proven theyselves / ironed out any post production issues.....over 14 years later oi stihl have No.7 in the stable.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

#26 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 28 December 2016 - 09:35 am

Nice bike ! Kinda frustrating challenge, saving a bike that's virtually untouched.....

It has a full Givi wingrack and 3 mint condition panniers that look sooooo late 80's in design.

I just got rid of two of those cases with my gf's CB500, bought in '88 :-) The strange thing is, they still sell them ! Exactly the same ! To be fair, the GiVi design was revolutionary compared to the alternatives at that time, esp. beint waterproof (OK, 99%).

Bjørge

#27 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 05:44 pm

'Meoff' is alive.  He ran earlier on full choke,  the throttle linkage is very slow to return and the carbs are gummed up so i have removed them.  These carbs have had the float bowls off before as the screw heads are a little bit mullered,  each float bowl only has 2 screws but they undid (is that a proper word?) easily enuf. 

The coolant is spotless and a lovely green colour and the oil is golden and new looking but oil change the lot again just fer pig iron (summit me Da says every now and den and i have no idea what it means).

#28 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 28 July 2019 - 05:51 pm

Why not park it next o my 9er so it reads SUK SN08 ;)

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#29 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 28 July 2019 - 08:04 pm

Coolio, just a clean up then and test ride, oder ! more to do.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#30 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 10:19 pm

Why not park it next o my 9er so it reads SUK SN08 ;)

SUKS KNOBS is a good plate for a TDM 900 ! 

I removed the float bowls to see the varnished petrol remnants.  The needles were gummed up as are the emusion tubes,  the diaphragms have tiny cracks on the edges (but may be ok). I have soaked the carbs in vinegar so lets see if that helps to remove the varnish and clear any clogged tubes/jets.  I'd better order a carb. kit from LiteTek and price up some new diaphragms just in case. The rubbers that fit between the carbs and the inlet stubs are a bit tacky and have some cracking so i may order these too,  i tink they are the same part number for all incarnations of the TDM 850 but oil dubble check. I'm not convinced it was running on both cylinders earlier on as No.2 down pipe was slightly warm whereas No.1 down pipe was very hot.

I hafta say accessing the inlet rubber 'jubilee' clips to loosen them so i could remove the carbs. is a lot easier on a MKI versus a MKII due to being able to take the battery out of the way and having no piggy back oil tank to get in the way aids removal considerably. 

I may reassemble the carbs. onto the enjun and run it up just to see if it runs ok before the LiteTek rebuild kit arrives,  i fully expect the carbs to leak at the float bowls though.  I will take it fer a spin to warm it up and then change all the fluids. 

#31 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 12:06 am

Congratulations on getting yer manly noo old steed. :)  Allus good to hear about getting a TDM back on the road.

From reading yer post it sounds like you've got all points covered, the only problem you could get with the coolant pump is a dried out seal that might have stuck onto the impeller.  You'll soon know if the seal goes as the lickle hole at the rear of the pump will be leaking coolant or oil onto yer engine.

Carb gaskets, o rings and choke plungers might have gone all crumbly, you can get new improved gasket kits from Litetek, they're ethanol proof and cost less than any other kit I've seen. http://www.litetek.c...aha_TRX850.html   Some useful info on their site about fitting them too.  NRPCarbs or Allens Performance sell the choke plungers.  I think they also sell intake rubbers if you need any.

We need pics !

Studley,  that link to LiteTek is for a TRX 850 and there appears to be 2 kits available.  Do MK1 3VD's require the same carb. kits as a TRX 850?

#32 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 12:21 pm

Attached File  20190728_210235.jpg   117.94KB   1 downloadsmy effort at dribbling in some oil in a bid to free off the filler cap lock.                              Varnished up carbs. the ethanol in fuel consumes the rubber hoses.

Attached File  20190728_200452.jpg   129.67KB   1 downloads

Old tyres,  i must check the date on them,  they will be changed regardless Attached File  20190728_224127.jpg   107.68KB   1 downloads

decent tool kit,  even has a tool to change the shock from S to H. Note the Yamaha heavy duty cloth pouch Attached File  20190728_190528.jpg   68.65KB   1 downloads

The yamaha tool kit retaining strap has perished after 28 years (part no. 3YX)  Attached File  20190728_190905.jpg   147.85KB   1 downloads

Attached Files

Edited by wicklamulla, 29 July 2019 - 12:33 pm.

#33 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 29 July 2019 - 12:45 pm

Who'd a thunk it eh, a billy can handle in the oem tool kit :good:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#34 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 03:51 pm

Studley,  that link to LiteTek is for a TRX 850 and there appears to be 2 kits available.  Do MK1 3VD's require the same carb. kits as a TRX 850?

You'll need both kits although you might not need all the parts, depends on how far you go ie splitting carbs and removing the butterfly's, or not.  And yes, mk1 uses the TRX kits.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#35 MipeTDM

MipeTDM

really likes Carpe

• 92 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 30 July 2019 - 10:00 am

Hi, nice bike!

One thing I found when restoring my MK II back to life after many years of standing around is that the clutch plates get dried out. You probably need to remove them and soak them in engine oil, or replace them and do the same. Mine slipped under load. During use they don't tend to soak up the oil well enough.

Also your carbs look rather nice inside. Mine were corroded heavily on one carb, even the throttle valve was rusted and seized up completely. I guess just cleaning them and poking in every tiny hole will do the job quite fine for starters on yours as well. I remained patient, cleaned the whole thing so every hole&jet is now open again and that worked fine. You can use very thin copper/brass wire and some small drill bits for the passages (not for the jets off course).

Also, overflowing carbs are often a sign of junk in the fuel. Have you checked the fuel tank for rust?

I also scored 8 euro's worth of carb diaphragm kit (2x) on aliexpress. That works very well.

#36 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 11:17 pm

Hi, nice bike!

One thing I found when restoring my MK II back to life after many years of standing around is that the clutch plates get dried out. You probably need to remove them and soak them in engine oil, or replace them and do the same. Mine slipped under load. During use they don't tend to soak up the oil well enough.

Also your carbs look rather nice inside. Mine were corroded heavily on one carb, even the throttle valve was rusted and seized up completely. I guess just cleaning them and poking in every tiny hole will do the job quite fine for starters on yours as well. I remained patient, cleaned the whole thing so every hole&jet is now open again and that worked fine. You can use very thin copper/brass wire and some small drill bits for the passages (not for the jets off course).

Also, overflowing carbs are often a sign of junk in the fuel. Have you checked the fuel tank for rust?

I also scored 8 euro's worth of carb diaphragm kit (2x) on aliexpress. That works very well.

Hi Mipe, carbs are gummed up and are now immersed in a container full of vinegar,  i may have them ultrasonically cleaned too. Clutch plates are prolly stuck together as when the bike is in gear and i pull the clutch in and push the bike forwards the rear tyre skids along the ground so i guess they are dry and sticky. I have tied the clutch lever back to the handlebar in a bid to free them off. Fuel tank had rust and stale petrol in it so i will try to de-rust the tank and i may use a tank seal kit to line it out.   

Thas very cheap fer carb. diaphragms and i wonder what the quality is like?

Studley i ordered both carb. kits from LiteTek. I already had some new rubber fuel hose in the garage so thas good news.   I may open up the fuel pump and have a look at the diaphragm and see if it's a mess in there.

while i'm waiting for the Litetek spares to arrive  I may mess about with fitting a set of MK2a carbs to the 3VD and see how it goes. 

#37 madmopedracer

madmopedracer

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 08:08 am

for the fuel tank why not try rust removal electrolysis loads of articles about it and all it will cost you is a little bit of time as i'm sure you will have all you need in the shed ie battery battery charger and some scrap steel

i'm doing a honda c70 swinging arm at the moment

#38 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 08:55 am

MickC fitted mk2a carbs to a mk1 without any problems, you'll also need the mk2a airbox with the wider outlets.  On the mk1 carbs, check the choke plungers whilst you're at it, they tend to deteriorate at the tip.  I got new wans fron NRP Carbs.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#39 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 10:26 am

now that does look interesting,  i'd be scared of the process so i need to read up on it.

for the fuel tank why not try rust removal electrolysis loads of articles about it and all it will cost you is a little bit of time as i'm sure you will have all you need in the shed ie battery battery charger and some scrap steel

i'm doing a honda c70 swinging arm at the moment

Ok have you done a few pics of the process Studley or is it straight forward with the carbs on the bench?  My carbs may be low mileage but the plungers may be eaten away. 

MickC fitted mk2a carbs to a mk1 without any problems, you'll also need the mk2a airbox with the wider outlets.  On the mk1 carbs, check the choke plungers whilst you're at it, they tend to deteriorate at the tip.  I got new wans fron NRP Carbs.

#40 MipeTDM

MipeTDM

really likes Carpe

• 92 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 31 July 2019 - 03:22 pm

Hi Mipe, carbs are gummed up and are now immersed in a container full of vinegar,  i may have them ultrasonically cleaned too. Clutch plates are prolly stuck together as when the bike is in gear and i pull the clutch in and push the bike forwards the rear tyre skids along the ground so i guess they are dry and sticky. I have tied the clutch lever back to the handlebar in a bid to free them off. Fuel tank had rust and stale petrol in it so i will try to de-rust the tank and i may use a tank seal kit to line it out.   

Thas very cheap fer carb. diaphragms and i wonder what the quality is like?

On the dutch TDM trx forum there were some good responses on those so far:

https://nl.aliexpres...2493135002.html

Can't do much harm, as I've found out you can easily get home with a torn diaphragm. In fact, it was difficult to diagnose it to that -apart from hesitating a full throttle above 5k RPM-.

On derusing the tank: I've also performed electrolysis on mine as a handfull of rust came out...

Here are some pictures:

Attached File  IMG_20180609_145538659 (Large).jpg   119.49KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_20180610_103433335 (Large).jpg   110.36KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_20180610_133919437 (Large).jpg   96.07KB   0 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users