69 replies to this topic

#21 Matthieu

Matthieu

arrived on last train

• 4 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 21 June 2011 - 05:16 pm

So my 1 ohm looks suspiciously high compared to 0.18~0.28 sad.gif
Such a small resistance might be difficult to measure by a poor tester device. I will make the measurements with another tester device just to make sure.

QUOTE(celticbiker @ Tue 21st Jun 2011, 01:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I drained my oil before I started this job but there will always be about 0.5L in the bottom of the engine. In theory the tank should not drain because of the check valve but I didn't want to find out.
Hummm.. it is not a good news but thanks a lot for that information, I am happy to know what falls off a cover before removing it. I guess I had better drain the oil like you if I decide to go further and make the measurement right at the stator.

Cheers
Matthieu

#22 Matthieu

Matthieu

arrived on last train

• 4 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 03:45 pm

I am about to remove the stator to have it rewound.. I re-read your tutorial and I have two questions.

QUOTE(celticbiker @ Sun 4th Apr 2010, 12:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When you get it back, put the newly wound stator into the casing (don't forget to route the wires correctly) seal the grommets into place with instant gasket and leave in a warm place for 24 hours for the shellac to dry thoroughly (mine was still a bit tacky when I received it).

Grommets: I did not understand what the grommets are. Is it what I highlighted in red in the picture below? (I suppose the second grommet is in the inside, against the alternator casing?)
Instant gasket: I guess it needs to be of a special type for such a use. Can you recommend me a brand/type ?

Thanks
Matthieu

#23 Matthieu

Matthieu

arrived on last train

• 4 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 05:43 pm

In the end I found a used stator (90euros). I put it in place with some medium strenght thread lock on the bolts.
I got rid of the old gasket's remainings using a cutter with care.
Now that everything is in place I measure 25V~ on the grey connector (with the 3 white wires coming from the alternator) at 1000rpm and a higher voltage at 4500rpm. At the battery terminals I get around 14,3V= so it is charging again and everything must be fine.
Thanks again for the tutorial and your messages!
Matthieu

#24 Aly86

Aly86

discovering Carpe

• 16 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:32 pm

Hi, Thanks for the great advice on your post. I am about to tackle this as my battery dos not appear to be charging.

I have followed the steps as per the Haynes manual and the resistance between the 3 white wires is well in excess of what it should be for the 850.

The only point which is brought up in the manual is to check the problem is not in one of the white wires between the connector and the stator. i.e. a broken wire.

I have to say the wires look in pretty poor condition, so it could be the problem. Or is it the case that when you send the stator away to Robin he replaces the white wires as part of the work?

I have an multimeter for checking resistance etc, however not sure how the white wires are connected to the rear of the stator, it has 3 Phillips screws holding it in place, which look as though they are going to be a nightmare to get out, (currently got them soaking in WD40). If I do manage to get the stator out, will this give me access to take some readings and check the condition of the white wires?

Any advice is much appreciated.

#25 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:33 pm

The 900 has allen bolts holding the stator in place. I would think an impact driver would be your best bet for removal of Phillips head screws.

Once removed you could carry out a continuity check on the wires but I don't think they will be the problem.

Does he put new wires on?

Well to be honest, that's a good question. The first time I sent mine I cut the plug off (don't ask) and so asked him to put 500mm of new wire on for me, when I got it back I soldered it all back together.

When I got it back this time it was all neat and tidy with an insulating sleeve over the whole thing and it never occurred to me to check to see if the wires were new or not.

He's an amiable enough chap though, so a phone call couldn't do any harm.

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste

(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help

(")-(") him gain world domination!

#26 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:42 am

Aly, unlike the 900, a new stator for the 850 is much cheaper to buy. 

http://www.electrexw...07.html#aG7#aG7

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#27 Aly86

Aly86

discovering Carpe

• 16 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:58 am

Fantasic, thanks very much to both studley ramrod and celticbiker for the advice. Given the price of a new stator with wires for the 850 is only £65, I will probably go for that, which will at least cover all bases.

Great stuff

#28 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:32 pm

Just to add to this superb post.

I've just spoken to Robin Williams (the re-wind man in Devon) and he's still doing business.  Still £50 inc. return P&P.

I've got mine to strip down and test but then I'll be giving him a ring to confirm my dead one is on it's way.

Dmm

MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#29 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:49 pm

I still have a pre fried one if you are in a hurry and want to send that as a core and then send me your dud.

"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#30 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:28 pm

I still have a pre fried one if you are in a hurry and want to send that as a core and then send me your dud.

Train ticket has already been bought, so not in a rush...munchos thanks for the offer tho Mr Badger man.

MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#31 Aly86

Aly86

discovering Carpe

• 16 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:27 pm

Next step.

I have bought a new stator. The 3 white wires which come away from the coil will need to be soldered on to the connectors, which fit in to the plastic housing. Can any one tell me if it matters which white wire goes in which space in the plug and if so how do I differanciate between them.

Many Thanks

#32 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• 1,726 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:32 pm

Doesn't matter.
But rather than messing with the spades just cut the connector off with about 100mm of the old wiring still attached and then solder them to the new wires.
Do one at a time and shrink wrap each one as you go then SA tape the lot when finished.

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste

(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help

(")-(") him gain world domination!

#33 Aly86

Aly86

discovering Carpe

• 16 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:27 pm

Well I am nearly ready to do some wall demolishing with my forehead.

Having replaced the stator, with a brand new one along with new white wires up to the connectors. I reassembled the bike started it up, however the the battery still does not appear to be charging.

At tick over I am getting around 12.44 volts,

5000rpm about 12.25 volts

Having switched the bike off after about five minutes the voltage returns up to about 12.65 volts.

The resistance between the 3 new white wires still does no fall within the range in the manual and is 0.6 ohms.

If any one has any further suggestions, they would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Aly

#34 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:40 pm

regulator, check connector isn't corroded and it has a good earth. Measure any of the white wires resistance to earth there should be no continuity at all.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#35 Aly86

Aly86

discovering Carpe

• 16 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:02 pm

Thanks, I'm a bit of a novice I'm afraid would you be able to tell me how to check the earth of the connector with my multimeter. I have checked the white wires resitance to earth and as you say there is infinite resisitance. I note there are new regilators on ebay for around £20, might be worth a gamble! Cheers

#36 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:06 am

sound like stator is ok as it should be it's new. between any of the white wires running should be around 25 volts AC at idle, so regulator next.

Incidentally, have you measured the old stator white wires to metal ring in the middle ? Before you chuck it might be a good idea.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#37 Hombre

Hombre

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:58 pm

Well I am nearly ready to do some wall demolishing with my forehead.

Having replaced the stator, with a brand new one along with new white wires up to the connectors. I reassembled the bike started it up, however the the battery still does not appear to be charging.

At tick over I am getting around 12.44 volts,

5000rpm about 12.25 volts

Having switched the bike off after about five minutes the voltage returns up to about 12.65 volts.

The resistance between the 3 new white wires still does no fall within the range in the manual and is 0.6 ohms.

If any one has any further suggestions, they would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Aly

0.6 is the magic number.  I got that on my old stator and as it is outside all recomendations in links above and in the Haynes manual, I ordered a new one.  Arrived today and tests at 0.6 ohms.  Unfortunately, having removed the old one for visual inspection based on the advice that it was bad, I now have to decide whether to put it back on (gasket, oil etc) and sell the new one or put the new one on and swallow the loss.

Anyway, for info, a NEW STATOR READS 0.6 OHMS across all combinations of the three wires for a Mk1 3VD.

<p>BSA C15T, Ducati 200 Elite, Villiers Cub Trials Bitsa, Ariel Huntmaster, AJS 650 CSR, Sunbeam S7, Suzuki 650 Katana, Honda 400-4, Bultaco 350 Sherpa, Cotton Minarelli, Fantic 303, Yamaha SRX 400, Yamaha 550 Virago, Kawasaki ZZR 1100,  Fantic 305, Yamaha TDM 850 '91, Yamaha TDM 900 '04.  Ducati 200 Elite (again and now completed restoration), Yamaha SRX-600

#38 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:07 pm

I noticed when checking resistance with my multimeter, it takes a good few seconds before the reading settles.  Might be worth trying again and holding the probes in place for 5 seconds or more ?

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#39 Hombre

Hombre

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:01 pm

I noticed when checking resistance with my multimeter, it takes a good few seconds before the reading settles.  Might be worth trying again and holding the probes in place for 5 seconds or more ?

Thanks Studley, held longer and readings dropped to 0.5.  Then I had an idea: I put the meter pins together and got a steady 3.  5-3=2 which is close (to 1 decimal point) to Haynes.

The new stator is now mounted in the casing and will be assembled tomorrow with a new reg/rec.  Expensive learning curve.  :(

All back together with a new RR98 reg/rec aswell.  Charging!  :D

Edited by Hombre, 22 June 2013 - 05:11 pm.

<p>BSA C15T, Ducati 200 Elite, Villiers Cub Trials Bitsa, Ariel Huntmaster, AJS 650 CSR, Sunbeam S7, Suzuki 650 Katana, Honda 400-4, Bultaco 350 Sherpa, Cotton Minarelli, Fantic 303, Yamaha SRX 400, Yamaha 550 Virago, Kawasaki ZZR 1100,  Fantic 305, Yamaha TDM 850 '91, Yamaha TDM 900 '04.  Ducati 200 Elite (again and now completed restoration), Yamaha SRX-600

#40 MarkyMark

MarkyMark

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 981 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:15 pm

In discussion with various members a number of these stator failures have happened after a service. (oil change).

I recently stumbled accross a tip:-

- soak the filter in oil as this ensures full flow from the off.

Does anyone with more engineering nous than me think this is a potential explanation - i.e. why the top of the stator burns out - could it be that not enough oil is flowing to cool the stator immediately after a service.

XT1200Z - Big and bouncy

GTR1400 - Chaufer the wife.
XT660Z - Fun and commute.
TDM900 - Yellow.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users