pete7

RTT10 manager

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:54 pm

Hey Pete

Your trip looked awesome.

Is this the year for the Alpine tour ? - we just booked Hull to Rotterdam for June 5th with the intention of heading down that way - two niners, a GS and a FJR

Any chance of being copied into that info ?

Cheers

Dan

I hope this helps Dan:

(went through my hotel receipts to get these, so I hope the order is correct)

1. sanct goar

2. bad feilnbach

3. ravascletto .

4. trento

5, davos

6. lucerne

7. mulhouse

8. namur

We used the Hull - Zeebrugge ferry each way which was fine

Best of luck and have a great tour

Pete

Keep music live!

YouTube: pete7kcu

#22 tr7dan

tr7dan

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 116 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 13 March 2015 - 10:17 am

Ok, thanks for that.

Any idea if Stelvio Pass is likely to be open around 8/9th June ?

I've read that it opens end of May ... But some say mid June - does it depend on the weather ?

Our outline route so far is Rotterdam - Nurburgring - Schenkenzell - Stilfs - Bormio ....

Did you book your accommodation in advance Pete, or on the fly ?

Dan

#23 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 13 March 2015 - 11:16 am

When are you off to the Pyrenees then Pete ?

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#24 pete7

pete7

RTT10 manager

• 2,078 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 02:24 pm

Ok, thanks for that.
Any idea if Stelvio Pass is likely to be open around 8/9th June ?
I've read that it opens end of May ... But some say mid June - does it depend on the weather ?
Our outline route so far is Rotterdam - Nurburgring - Schenkenzell - Stilfs - Bormio ....
Did you book your accommodation in advance Pete, or on the fly ?
Dan

Not sure of opening dates for Stelvio Dan, my chum on his Pan, planned route and booked all hotels in advance. I prefer comfort nowadays.

There are loads of more expert advisors than me on Carpe who should help hopefully.

Please note that Mark, (alias Hartside Man) booked hotels very successfully "on the fly" - his trip was more impressive than ours and posted truly brilliant pictures on Facebook (not sure if he did carpe TDM ride report)

Hope you have a great trip

Pete

When are you off to the Pyrenees then Pete ?

Last week in June and get back before G2G in Leominster (if I am allowed to go so soon after tour...:-) )

Roll on sunshine ....

Pete

Keep music live!

#25 Muppdog

Muppdog

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 292 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 13 March 2015 - 11:16 pm

Dan,

no need to pre book once in Austria and in the Dolomites. They are all geared up for the skiing season and got loads of rooms in the summer. Often marketed as Moto Hotels in the summer. ( with indoor parking and some with workshops and pressure washers to use incl. ) We spent 3 weeks there and never had a problem finding a some rooms. When you like it somewhere you just stay. When they forecast rain just go the other way.

There are a lot of other passes in the area you are heading for. Pick them on a map and connect. Even these roads are a bit special.

Why Schenkenzell?

Rob

#26 tr7dan

tr7dan

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 116 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 15 March 2015 - 10:53 am

Dan

Why Schenkenzell?

Rob

Thanks for the info Rob... :tup:

... Schenkenzell Hotel Waldblick came up on a search as a biker friendly hotel with drying facilities and secure storage etc., plus it looked a nice distance from Nurburg for the next stop and seemed well positioned on the edge of the Black Forest...

As we haven't been down this way before we are working blind and just trying to figure out the best routes/ hotels etc. from info online.

Sounds like you may not think it a good place to stop ? If you have any other ideas I'm all ears... having done it before you are going to have a better idea than we do..

cheers

Dan

#27 Muppdog

Muppdog

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 292 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 15 March 2015 - 03:48 pm

Dan,

not at all! Just don't want to miss out on a good thing. We had a forced stop near the Black Forrest. Very nice but very expensive. So will look this one up for next time we go down there.

Cheers

Rob

#28 pete7

pete7

RTT10 manager

• 2,078 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 07:41 pm

Any visit to Black Forest area needs to include the famous B500 if at all possible. Headed that way at the end of May ... apparently its a terrific road

Pete

Keep music live!

#29 trevini

trevini

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,770 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 15 March 2015 - 08:48 pm

I was down in the Black Forest last September.  The B500 is a must do. Although to be fair, there are a lot of great biking roads round there generally.

There are a couple of nice hotels not too far from the southern end of the B500 that are ok price wise and have decent food. Gasthoff Sonne in the town square in Shiltach and Gashof Zum Pflug just outside Shiltach.  You also have the Cafe Schafer (hairy bikers black forest gateau) and the waterfalls at Triberg.

There's a nice car museum at Schramberg and a short trip back into France gets you to the fantastic Bugatti museum at Mulhouse.

Edited by trevini, 15 March 2015 - 08:48 pm.

2004 Galaxy Blue. Owned since 486 miles.Renthal 755 bars, Bagster tank cover, Oxford heated grips, DL650 hand guards, Double Bubble screen, Scorpion Rad guard, Gel pad insert, HLD undertray, Angry Badger tailtidy,  Michelin Road 5s, Givi E21s, E46 topbox, Ohlins shock and YSS cartridge emulators   Currently not fitted - PC3, Remus Revolutions.

LCErj.jpg

Putting up with the "niner" jokes since 2005
Check out http://www.hotcoldground.co.uk we're really rather good!
Like food? I feed people -  SmokinGrillGuy <p>

#30 pete7

pete7

RTT10 manager

• 2,078 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 09:26 pm

Aaagh , we missed the Bugatti Museum Trev ... would have liked to look at some of the Master's Work ...

This was the weather we awoke to for the ride from Mulhouse to Namur ...  450 plus kms of solid rain!

Attached Files

• Attached File  370.JPG   113.14KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  371.JPG   143.92KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  372.JPG   166.75KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  373.JPG   96.92KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  374.JPG   202.97KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  375.JPG   125.1KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  368.JPG   98.35KB   0 downloads

Keep music live!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users