30 replies to this topic

#1 JMC

JMC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 257 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 05 October 2018 - 08:53 pm

I'm planning on doing the jbx gear indicator mod to my 4tx http://www.tdm-yamah...ex.php?page=GID

Could anyone that's done it link me to the best type of led's please, I'll be doing all 5 gears

EDIT: Would this work ?   https://www.ebay.co....CEAAOSwNSxVXuys

Edited by JMC, 05 October 2018 - 09:03 pm.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
Hunter S. Thompson.

#2 CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow

Knight of Postsalot

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 10 October 2018 - 07:47 am

I used a 10-segment one which lights up 2 at a time, so yes, that would work.  My issue was I used the wrong resistors so it's not bright enough.  Works well though.  Bit of a faff getting to the sensor area as it's a sprocket off job.

1996 TDM850 in Yellow, Motad Nexxus, MK1 bashplate, Acerbis handguards, K&N, Xenons, Aux lamps, Bluespot calipers, Renthal 755 bars, DIY panniers, JBX-inspired gear indicator.  (Currently not on the road.)

Bikes wot I have had and dun't have any more: 1983 Honda CB125TDC, 1976 Kawasaki S1C (early KH250 stroker triple), 1986 Honda VF500F2, 1992 Kawasaki KLE500.

#3 JMC

JMC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 05:11 pm

Cool thanks for the reply :) 

I may be reading jbx instructions wrong or at least processing what I'm reading wrong lol as my electrical knowledge is basic, so can you answer a question or 2 for me please.

In the section called --- Moding the gear sensor on a TDM850 MkII (4TX) ----- Is that the complete mod ? 

or do I have to do make an Encoding Unit as well as mentioned in the section Encoding and Display

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
Hunter S. Thompson.

#4 skedaddle

skedaddle

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 52 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 10 October 2018 - 05:19 pm

Hi JMC. Will you be putting up pics of this?  I would be interested in doing it too but am not very electrically adept.

#5 JMC

JMC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 07:21 pm

Hi JMC. Will you be putting up pics of this?  I would be interested in doing it too but am not very electrically adept.

Absolutely :)
I just need to get my head around doing it right before I start

Hunter S. Thompson.

#6 CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 08:25 pm

Cool thanks for the reply :)

I may be reading jbx instructions wrong or at least processing what I'm reading wrong lol as my electrical knowledge is basic, so can you answer a question or 2 for me please.

In the section called --- Moding the gear sensor on a TDM850 MkII (4TX) ----- Is that the complete mod ? 

or do I have to do make an Encoding Unit as well as mentioned in the section Encoding and Display

On a 4TX all you have to add to the white plastic thing is some screws if I remember correctly.  The two existing wires shown from 2nd & 3rd (or it might be 1st & 2nd, can't remember and there is some argument about it on here) can be removed - they retard the ignition in those lower gears so leave them disconnected and taped out of the way.

You do also need to make an encoding unit like JBX did.  Mine is a little strip of veroboard inside an SD card case, and I used a connector off a broken computer mouse to then connect up to the LED display.  JBX refers to 1K resistors, but according to an online LED resistor calculator you'll want 470 ohm resistors for the ebay display above.  The encoder circuit can be separate like mine or built into the display unit if you'd rather.  My pics are a bit rubbish but hope you can see what's going on.

LED array

Attached File  gearind 003.jpg   168.05KB   1 downloads

Attached File  gearind 004.jpg   135.26KB   0 downloads

Separate encoder unit

Attached File  gearind 006.jpg   173.27KB   0 downloads

1996 TDM850 in Yellow, Motad Nexxus, MK1 bashplate, Acerbis handguards, K&N, Xenons, Aux lamps, Bluespot calipers, Renthal 755 bars, DIY panniers, JBX-inspired gear indicator.  (Currently not on the road.)

Bikes wot I have had and dun't have any more: 1983 Honda CB125TDC, 1976 Kawasaki S1C (early KH250 stroker triple), 1986 Honda VF500F2, 1992 Kawasaki KLE500.

#7 Timbo1866

Timbo1866

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 08:45 pm

http://www.carpe-tdm...lery&image=1790
This is a photo of the gear select position thingy sorry no sure of the corect term
I did a similar mod on my 4TX photos are in my gallery or on here somewhere not sure of the heading
Hope it helps
Tim
Linky thing takes you to my gallery

Edited by Timbo1866, 10 October 2018 - 08:47 pm.

#8 JMC

JMC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 09:45 pm

post-1409-0-96869600-1539202736.jpg

Excellent thanks for taking the time to post the pics  :signthankspin:

re: the pic above - could I just solder the resistors inline and heat shrink them ?

Also where does the power come from to light the led's does that come from the gear selector or somewhere else

jbx tutorial may be a little confusing to the electrically challenged of us  :lol:

Edited by JMC, 10 October 2018 - 09:50 pm.

Hunter S. Thompson.

#9 CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 10:34 pm

Power comes from the dashboard end (short pink wire on mine) 12v+ goes to each led then the circuit is completed when the gear selector makes the circuit to earth. You can solder the resistors in line but you still need the diodes which act to separate the channels. Without them they'll all light up. If you look closely you can see the diodes go across each line diagonally, separating each one. They act like a one-way valve, preventing current from going in the wrong direction. Hope that makes some sense.

#10 JMC

JMC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 11:15 pm

Yes that makes perfect sense.
So for the wiring path
gear selector >diode >resistors > minus side of led's

edit - (diode's running across)
Power from pink wire in dash to all led's
When gear is selected it completes the circuit

EDIT: looking at jbx diagram again now it's making more sense, I see what you mean about the diode's going across so I'ts finally sunk in :)

I've edited this post several times after something else has clicked with me so when I eventually get to do this I'll take detailed pics and hopefully explain it in the simplest terms possible for the non elec minded people

Next I'll need to make a list of parts needed

Edited by JMC, 11 October 2018 - 07:44 am.

Hunter S. Thompson.

#11 CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 07:53 am

Yes that makes perfect sense.
So for the wiring path
gear selector >diode >resistors > minus side of led's

edit - (diode's running across)
Power from pink wire in dash to all led's
When gear is selected it completes the circuit

EDIT: looking at jbx diagram again now it's making more sense, I see what you mean about the diode's going across so I'ts finally sunk in :)

I've edited this post several times after something else has clicked with me so when I eventually get to do this I'll take detailed pics and hopefully explain it in the simplest terms possible for the non elec minded people

Next I'll need to make a list of parts needed

You're getting it!  I'm not an expert either - I've drawn it out myself in felt tips to refresh my own memory, it might help!

Attached File  gearins.jpg   65.83KB   1 downloads

#12 JMC

JMC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:27 am

That's exactly how I had it in my head (eventually) and your diagram is simple and brilliant so will be easy for anyone with basic elec knowledge to understand

Nice job and thanks a million for taking the time  :good:

Hunter S. Thompson.

#13 CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 09:10 am

Any time, glad I could help.  Thanks to a dicky hip I can't ride at the moment, and poor TDM is mothballed, so it's nice to be able to get involved somewhere along the line!

#14 JMC

JMC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 12:20 pm

OK so I'm going to cheat a little bit  :P I've just ordered one of these to test it  Gear Indicator

Only because it was cheap as chips and the gears have colour coded wiring and it should look much better than 5 led's

I had a GI Pro on my fireblade and it was brilliant so in about 4 to 6 weeks delivery china time I'll update when it arrives  :lol:

Hunter S. Thompson.

#15 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,671 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 12 October 2018 - 12:44 pm

OK so I'm going to cheat a little bit  :P I've just ordered one of these to test it  Gear Indicator

Only because it was cheap as chips and the gears have colour coded wiring and it should look much better than 5 led's

I had a GI Pro on my fireblade and it was brilliant so in about 4 to 6 weeks delivery china time I'll update when it arrives  :lol:

Smart thinking, no point reinventing the wheel

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#16 CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 12:48 pm

OOh, that looks like the kiddie.  Good find.

#17 CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 08:15 am

Found the testing video when I installed mine. The case is inexpertly fashioned from 2 old keyboard keys glued together. Not quite bright enough cos of too-big resistor values.
https://photos.app.g...kGNkzLr3iKVh7k9

#18 sando

sando

sticking around

• 30 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 10 December 2018 - 11:27 am

have u done this yet mate?

#19 JMC

JMC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 12:01 pm

have u done this yet mate?

It's arrived but not had a chance due to work, I've 2 weeks off over Christmas so hope to do it then along with fork oil/seals/gaitors, headset bearings and a few other bits so have to try to book a few days in the workshop, that is if I can get the other 2 bikes sorted and out of the way first lol
But I will add pics and update how it goes :)

Edited by JMC, 10 December 2018 - 12:01 pm.

Hunter S. Thompson.

#20 sando

sando

sticking around

• 30 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 10 December 2018 - 12:02 pm

cool beans

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users