9 replies to this topic

#1 paddy900

paddy900

roondaboot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 21 April 2011 - 11:49 pm

I have been thinking about what i way i will manage my Euros when we head off for the MT11,

I dont want to be taking a load of cash with me and also i dont want to use my credit card for everything then get hit with more charges,

I was on Martin Lewis Money saving expert. com email list and i was looking at Pre Paid debit cards,

Prepaid Cards

I signed up for the Fairfx card, i think it will be handy for the likes of buying petrol and cake,

Here's a direct link and that wavers the reg fee,

FairFX

Voucher code pmndq
2003 TDM900 in Yellow....Best Colour, Fender extender, Oxford Heated Grips, Givi luggage, Mirror extenders, GS1150 Handguards, Matching seat cover, Belly Pan, R&G crash bungs, Touring screen, Meta alarm, K&N Air Filter,
Centre Stand, Scottoiler,Carbon Cans......really loud, Stainless steel Rad Guard, 12v Accessory socket,

Join us on Facebook

#2 Matt101

Matt101

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 2,391 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 24 April 2011 - 09:37 am

Thanks for that Paddy.

Just signed up for one now. Mrs likes the idea I can top up every month up to the Masserberg trip good.gif

Matt

#3 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 24 April 2011 - 10:02 am

http://www.carpe-tdm...p;hl=nationwide

post #12 and on.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#4 Saga Lout

Saga Lout

has been here 4ever

• 1,044 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 24 April 2011 - 10:24 am

I've had a Caxton FX Euro card for a while now and you save a fortune in the currency charges you pay using a normal credit/debit card. However, on the recent French trip, it didn't work on the toll road payment machine so had to use a normal card but have not had any other problems in shops, garages or cash machines tup.gif
Now on 9er number 2 .....

#5 Nog

Nog

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:24 am

I used one of these on my holidays last year. They're brilliant for using abroad without the worry of having your main cards cloned/lost etc.

I topped it up in small doses just incase it was lost, but have thought it is worth getting another one to use solely for internet purchases - keeps the credit card number safe.

The only problem with this is that the purchase isn't then protected as it would be under a credit card, so bit of a toss up.

#6 dicky1

dicky1

just half a litre to go

• 837 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:24 pm

Thanks for the various tips regarding currency. I do have a nationwide credit card but some of the benefit has now been taken away. We also tend to fill both bikes and pay as one to avoid duplicating the minimum fee. I'll have a look at the fairfx card
TDM 900ABS, Suzuki DR250 twin-cam off-roader
Hers Honda XL1000, TTR250 off-roader

#7 Limbo

Limbo

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:49 pm

Almost everywhere in Europe the EC. Will accept Visa and Master Card, the less frequently.
The gillt for hotels, gas stations, restaurants and shops.
One gets from the cash machines at the bank. Here you pay a high fee but gets a good exchange rate.
That's why I get cash abroad only once, and I pay the hotel bill at the end with the rest of the cash and by credit card.
In business or at the gas station there is the basic fee is not, and the exchange rate is also better than in exchange for cash.

limbo
without stockings and shoes I can count up to twenty wonderful

#8 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:00 pm

Anyone else used CaxtonFX? Now Nationwide have introduced fees oi am investigating the best alternative.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#9 RSRocket

RSRocket

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 991 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:21 pm

Not a Caxton but a Halifax Clarity Credit card,no charges on transactions abroadand a boon at tolls.
24 Hours in a Day, 24 beers in a tray !

"I think the firing orders wrong! : ) "
"I do it with Twins"

Lone Wolf Rider

#10 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 01 September 2012 - 06:10 pm

Recently used the PO Mastercard pre loaded with Euros,, works fine but cant be used at the pumps,, you need to present it to the cashier..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users