#1 tullyhubbert

tullyhubbert

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 19 June 2019 - 05:50 am

Hi all

I'm looking at purchasing an Enduro bike with a V5 from ebay, have my eye on one located near Brighton which is a long way from N.Ireland. A local recommended courier wants £400 which makes it uneconomic, Shiply quotes range from £240-400. There's a company called motorcyclelogistics (£260) which seem to have a 100% rating based on 800+ feedback. Anyone used them or have a recommendation of another company?

What are the pitfalls on buying an offroad (Albeit with V5) bike of ebay? There a good few quid involved as it's a 2017 model. I've never owned an offroad bike but I believe they get stolen/broken on a regular basis. Having a V5 I expect I'll be able to do an HPI check but what else can I do?

Thanks

--

John

Signature test

#2 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 19 June 2019 - 08:04 am

I guess the alternative is to take some holiday time and come over yourself? At least you'll be able to confirm the bike details match the HPI check. And you'll not have any worries about the bike getting to you ok. Also give you chance to ride it and see if there are any problems you didn't pick up on before buying? Put your mind  at rest.

It'll probably cost you nearly as much. Ferry, transport to get the bike, fuel, ferry home with the bike.

Can you not get anything closer to home?

Hope it all works out for you whatever you go for.

#3 MickC

MickC

Carpe junky

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:52 am

Any bike could be stolen, its the pit falls of distance buying, off roaders can have a hard life so at least scan the piccys well for signs of dropping but twisted forks for instance dont show in photos.Check the sellers feedback on sales.

If you can see it first It will give you a chance to check V5 against the bike numbers and not sure when you were inteding to do a HPI check but it must be done before you buy after the event all that will happen is either you will then try to sell a bike you know to be sttolen IF thats the case or you go back to the seller who saye--is it? sorry about that didnt realise--- police wont do him if they think it was sold in good faith but they will take the bike from you EBay I beleive dont cover vehicle sales.So you will lose your money.

If the V5 is genuine ask for photos of the V5 showing the frame/ engine numbers and reg no.And photos of the frame/engine numbers, number plate waste of time but you can do a DVLA vehicle check with the reg number which I dont think will say wether stolen or not but will say what the bike should be.

If you are buying a 2017 model your not saving that much over maybe a new one or a 2018 still in a dealers (big discounts on last years model normally) just a thought.

If you are buying a off road bike for the first time and not off roaded before get a sensible size one 500s have over 60bhp and on the dirt that is a lot of power on wet roads on knobblies they can be leathal spinning the back wheel, in the dry they will flip over faster than you can say-- fuck this is going to hurt--300 two strokes probably just as bad.

#4 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 03:57 pm

I have a mate called Coyles from bushmills, I'll dig out his business when I get home tonight.

He's a motorcycle courier and also has taken part in the NW200 so he knows his bikes.

What I'm saying is, he could check the bike over for you too.

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#5 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 06:13 am

Facebook link
https://www.facebook.com/2wheeldirect/

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#6 tullyhubbert

tullyhubbert

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:12 pm

drewpy. That link could come in useful so thanks.

TKH. I'd love to buy something in N.Ireland but an Enduro with a V5 is a thing, nothing for sale in a dealers or privately of interest.

MickC. Aye seems to be a minefield with off roaders. Initially I thought something like a KTM 250 4 stroke would be ideal for a newbie but my local motocross shop (Who doesn't have any Enduros for sale) convinced my that something like a KTM EXC200 2t would be a better choice. Lighter, more torque low down, easier to maintain and much cheaper to repair should it go pop. As an ex 250cc 2t karter the idea that 2t's aren't dead really appeals to me, so obviously I'd like a Husky te300 or KTM EXC300. What could possibly go wrong? :)

Signature test

#7 tullyhubbert

tullyhubbert

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 10:05 pm

Well I got sorted last week, found what I was looking for from a dealer in South Wales advertising on eBay classified. Its a 2016 KTM EXC200 2t with 39hrs, the dealer sorted delivery to N.Ireland for £100. I'm really pleased with it, the condition is better than expected for an offroad bike, it's supposed to have been used for TRF rides on trails and green lanes in the south of England. It did arrive with one small issue, the RHS fork seal is leaking but I'm getting both forks done up locally for £60 which seems like great value to me.

IMG-20190704-200116814-HDR.jpg

Signature test

#8 tullyhubbert

tullyhubbert

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 10:15 pm

Hmmm, getting started has actually proved to be a little less expensive than I thought. I had no kit so a trip to my local motocross shop had be kitted out for around £500. Everything you can see plus a roost (Chest/back protection) and knee protection. And no you can't get colour coordinated from the end of line discount racks  :lol:

IMG-20190706-170847666-HDR.jpg

IMG-20190706-171016521-HDR.jpg

Signature test

#9 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 08 July 2019 - 11:58 pm

Those 2T KTM's are silly! My buddy has one too.  he was on the 250 but opted for the 200 last time round and may go for the 150 next time.  They are fair big money new and i tink the 250 is about £7500 over here.  I'd love one too. Yer gonna have a lot of fun on that.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#10 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 09 July 2019 - 04:38 am

Lickety lick. I had a 500 KTM air-cooled at 15.. Then got old and changed to a 360exc for many years. Hope ewe enjoy the boike.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#11 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 09 July 2019 - 11:08 am

Lickety lick. I had a 500 KTM air-cooled at 15.. Then got old and changed to a 360exc for many years. Hope ewe enjoy the boike.

old KTM kit loike that is mental.  a group of lads i know have flown out with their own ppe and rented KTM's and ridden around  cambodia,  they just came back from Romania and the pics and ride reports look amazing.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users