#21 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 24 November 2015 - 07:40 am

France is great for camping, pretty much every town has a municipal campsite that usually decent quality and dirt cheap.

Memory stick with scanned copies of all documents

Dropbox is also good for that, I can get at stuff on my phone but if I lose my phone I can access it from an internet PC.

(and if you sign up from this link I get bonus space :D  https://db.tt/B8N0sCa )

I also put copies of manuals on my phone, never know when you're going to want to work out how to use that funky mode on your camera or work out what that error code on your TDM dash means...although when I had the latter issue Trevini's phone number did the job :D

Edited by ChrisG, 24 November 2015 - 07:48 am.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#22 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,394 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 24 November 2015 - 04:32 pm

Not booked a bed?  Skin soaked to the skin? Can't face putting up the tent?

Go to the Tourist Information Office

Many Tourist Information places will ask you how much you're willing to pay (to give them an idea which digs to call - not to see how tight you are), they'll ring around, book & give you a map with directions to the digs, all for 1 Euro (which may be deducted from your final bill). 

Languages - tricky for many easy for some - I generally have a few phrases in my head but I also take http://www.single-serving.com/phrase/ for the countries I'm visiting. Although new translator on my phone may out-date this.

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#23 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 24 November 2015 - 04:56 pm

In places wid out tourist info, pop into a cafe and ask. Me'sen and wee man had great luck with this and it were the fuse to a few adventures. :-)
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#24 divvxj

divvxj

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 24 November 2015 - 07:12 pm

a leatherman is handy , I use mine for bursting blisters

#25 NickIAM

NickIAM

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 08:38 pm

Condoms....you never know when you might need them....they hold half a gallon of petrol

So that's what they're for.

:)

Yeah, I've done the IAM. And yeah, I recommend it (any so-called 'advanced training' come to that; not just IAM): A low cost training course based on the system used by the police, which is largely common sense once pointed out, making one smoother, quicker and safer. What's not to like? And why would one not want to tell others?  :hide:

#26 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 09:53 pm

Google Translate is bloody awesome. On the phone app you can download languages to use it offline, but if you have data you can take a photo to translate text (I'm living in Holland at the moment at use it all the time in shops, restaurants and museums), and can even do voice recognition and then read out the translation.

2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

#27 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 24 November 2015 - 11:02 pm

Actually, that's a very good touring tip - learn a bit of the language & try to speak it - works wonders when you make an effort  :good:

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#28 Kelpie

Kelpie

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 944 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 25 November 2015 - 06:10 am

Protect your bike's paint work from luggage, bungies etc with insulation tape (peels off really easily and can be colour matched) and/or non slip rubber dashboard matting.
You don't need balls to ride a big bike.

#29 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,973 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:21 am

Actually, that's a very good touring tip - learn a bit of the language & try to speak it - works wonders when you make an effort  :good:

Until they talk back at yer :P

Google Translate is bloody awesome. On the phone app you can download languages to use it offline, but if you have data you can take a photo to translate text (I'm living in Holland at the moment at use it all the time in shops, restaurants and museums), and can even do voice recognition and then read out the translation.

Surely not needed in Holland :huh:  I rarely met a Dutch person that didn't speak some English.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#30 big dave

big dave

has been here 4ever

• 1,462 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 25 November 2015 - 10:02 am

Limit your riding group size to 4 maximum

Edited by big dave, 25 November 2015 - 10:02 am.

MOTO GUZZI T3 with Le Mans engine, frisky for an old girl
YAMAHA Tracer 700 

RE Himalayan
Down to 3 toys at the moment, need to go shopping I think

I DON'T DO EXERCISE - if God had wanted me to bend over, he would have put cake on the floor

#31 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 11:14 am

Surely not needed in Holland :huh:  I rarely met a Dutch person that didn't speak some English.

I haven't met a single one that isn't fluent yet, but everything is written in Dutch. :D

Good point from Dave on group size, if you are in a bigger group it's often best to split in to smaller groups and meet up in places.  I hate riding in big groups so even tend to this on day rides.

On a trip a couple of years ago with 4 of us we split in to 2 pairs, had a rough destination in mind for the evening, and the first pair there would find a campsite and text the others the location.  That worked a lot better then the first few days of riding in a 4 as 2 of us wanted to hoof it round twisty mountain roads, while the other two wanted a more relaxed ride and look at the stunning alpine scenery, nothing wrong with either approach but when touring with mates make sure you all want the same thing out of the trip or someone's going to be unhappy.

#32 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,394 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 10:28 am

Here's another couple..

In my early touring days when stowage was short, I would keep some narrow bore plastic tube up the inside of the handlebars with a fiver too.

Duct tape - I have mine transferred round a black permanent marker pen which I have never had to use to make a "help" sign.

#33 RolfieB

RolfieB

has been here 4ever

• 1,069 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 26 November 2015 - 06:56 pm

Take some crappy old T shirts, knicks e.t.c. 

That way you can bin them as you go to make room for BEER, WINE, e.t.c.

Now I just fly everywhere.

Be yourself, because everybody else is taken.

Gone to new owner.

Black Mk2a

PipeWerx Exhaust, Gold Spots, Goodridge Hoses, Scottoiler,Oil Pressure Indicator, Nippy Normans fuze box,Touratech Handguards,Oxford Heated Grips, Power Socket, Hard Wiring for Sat Nav, Gear Indicator built into the rev counter. Givi E50 Top box & E21 side cases, Bagster Tank Cover & Bag.

#34 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,394 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 02:04 pm

As it is that time of year when folks are itching to get away on tour I thought I'd add another bit of info/tip I remembered when replying to Bjorge's full tank post.

If you fill your tank to maximum capacity, by keeping the bike upright while fueling, expect the tank overflow to dump some fuel if you use the prop stand while you have a break -  fuel is forced out by expanding gasses in your tank (hot countries), - wastes your hard-earned and creates a potential hazard & upsets the cafe ambiance too.  ;)

#35 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,973 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 09 June 2016 - 05:14 pm

I can think of a few more.
1. If you're making a early morning start or night riding, a down gilet will keep the chill off and can also serve as extra warmth if your sleeping bag isn't up to much.Must be down though to squash up nice and small in your pannier.
2. I may have mentioned it before, but a golf or large umbrella tucked under the pannier handles for those long, rainy waits for the ferry or just a shelter from sun or rain when needed.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#36 pete7

pete7

RTT10 manager

• 2,078 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 08:01 pm

If in large group it can save surprising amount of time to double up at the petrol stations.

Park close up at pumps and fill first bike then hand filler across to second bike alongside, and then pay cashier as one transaction. 

Take turns paying if consumption similar or else settle up each time.

Worked for us in group of 12 on last 2800 mile tour to Croatia

Take care whenever filling of course ... safety first

P7

Keep music live!

YouTube: pete7kcu

#37 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 10 June 2016 - 12:37 pm

Better still - keep the numbers down - to 6 maximum, but better 4 

Saves loads of time on petrol stops/fag breaks/pee stops  :good:

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#38 pete7

pete7

RTT10 manager

• 2,078 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 05:57 pm

Better still - keep the numbers down - to 6 maximum, but better 4 

Saves loads of time on petrol stops/fag breaks/pee stops  :good:

That's easy solution but rather defeats the objective (especially on Carpe RTT's/G2Gs etc)

I agree ... a group needs management to work or don't do it. Especially with a bunch of egos sloshing around.

Recent trip of high daily miles showed value of ensuring all group knew each other very well indeed, and had same (and highly focused) approach to making it work

Otherwise ... as you say, obvious option is limit to handful of riders. Easier ... and much safer!

P7

Keep music live!

YouTube: pete7kcu

#39 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 07:27 pm

Easy option on bigger groups is plan a route and cake stops and then head out in smaller groups and meet up on route. That's what we did from Leominster last year and I had great ride out in a smaller group. Very easy to do these days with satnav too.

#40 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 10 June 2016 - 08:01 pm

Although it's not been said - VERY comfortable under-crackers are a must I should think...

MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: touring, camping, pack, trip, Toolkit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users