#1 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 07 July 2015 - 11:31 am

Hi,

A number of people asked me about my seat cover at the G2G, so here is the info. The ebay number is 5051990718319 and the description is

RYDE MOTORCYCLE 3D MESH PROTECTIVE SEAT COVER MOTORBIKE/SCOOTER/BIKE COOL AIR.

It is sold as a stretch cover with velcro and elastic fastenings, but I found that it didn't quite cover the seat and the fit wasn't perfect, so I stapled it and it looks great. There was enough stretch to cover the deepest part of the seat near the front. I haven't tested it is the rain yet, but certainly in the hot weather, it is cool on the backside. In theory, you won't be sitting in a pool of water when it rains heavily, but I will report when tested. I bought the extra large one. My seat had a couple of repairs on it and these are now completely hidden, so it would be a very cheap and effective way to cover a damaged seat.

Hope this is of interest. Will get a photo of it and will add later, but the ebay ones show the idea.

Ali

Edited by AliG, 07 July 2015 - 11:32 am.

2004 900 - Blue with lots of goodies

2012 900 - Still adding shiny bits. Was black, changed to white and now back to black again.

#2 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• 3,502 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 03:36 pm

:good:

I'm a TDM SNOB !!!!     "Adventure before Dementia"  

Kawasaki GT550, XJ900 Diversion, 2002 TDM 900 , 2008 TDM 900a, 2010 TDM 900a.

#3 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 07 July 2015 - 03:53 pm

How did you manage to not test it in the wet on your way home?  :D

Seems like a good idea for a tenner, I've ordered one.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#4 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 04:06 pm

No rain on our way home Chris, there were some flying waterproofs though weren't there Frank? Make sure you lock your panniers!

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#5 DaveM

DaveM

just half a litre to go

• 825 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 08:37 pm

Frank? Make sure you lock your panniers!

Oooops! Kept that one quiet!!

Ali - thanks for the post, very interesting.

Dave

#6 tone

tone

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 179 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 07 July 2015 - 09:05 pm

It did look good Ali, great post!

Cheers
Tone

#7 Wildbill

Wildbill

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 08 July 2015 - 06:01 am

So,so easy to post a link;

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item51bfc6b656

Infact an adult could do it . !

Don't come preaching to me;you'll get chased down the road wiff a pitchfork.

#8 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• 1,445 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 02:59 pm

So,so easy to post a link;

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item51bfc6b656

Infact an adult could do it . !

There was no adult available and it isn't so easy from a bloody ipad!!!

2012 900 - Still adding shiny bits. Was black, changed to white and now back to black again.

#9 Wildbill

Wildbill

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 03:24 pm

Bet you wished you bought a computer now !

Pads/pods/pish.....

Don't come preaching to me;you'll get chased down the road wiff a pitchfork.

#10 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• 3,627 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 06:22 pm

Hi,

A number of people asked me about my seat cover at the G2G, so here is the info. The ebay number is 5051990718319 and the description is

RYDE MOTORCYCLE 3D MESH PROTECTIVE SEAT COVER MOTORBIKE/SCOOTER/BIKE COOL AIR.

It is sold as a stretch cover with velcro and elastic fastenings, but I found that it didn't quite cover the seat and the fit wasn't perfect, so I stapled it and it looks great. There was enough stretch to cover the deepest part of the seat near the front. I haven't tested it is the rain yet, but certainly in the hot weather, it is cool on the backside. In theory, you won't be sitting in a pool of water when it rains heavily, but I will report when tested. I bought the extra large one. My seat had a couple of repairs on it and these are now completely hidden, so it would be a very cheap and effective way to cover a damaged seat.

Hope this is of interest. Will get a photo of it and will add later, but the ebay ones show the idea.

Ali

Ali - how's this cover holding out.

Don't suppose you have any pic's of it fitted, and if available a photo of the fixings under the seat (I know it's only staples...)

Had this on ebay watch list for ages, but never got round to it, and after a damp ride to work reminded me about it...

MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#11 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 05 September 2016 - 06:29 pm

A mesh on the seat ???

Wtf ???

Sphincters issue ???

In need to better evacuate flatulences ???

top_640.png

#12 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• 1,445 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 06:49 pm

Ali - how's this cover holding out.

Don't suppose you have any pic's of it fitted, and if available a photo of the fixings under the seat (I know it's only staples...)

Had this on ebay watch list for ages, but never got round to it, and after a damp ride to work reminded me about it...

Hi Adam,

I am still very pleased with mine and funnily enough, I just got another one for my second bike and am about to fit. I will get some pics of it as I fit as well as the finished job. I just bought a camera from Studley so I can try it out.

Ali

#13 dmmsta

dmmsta

• 3,627 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 08:36 am

:good:

-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#14 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• 1,445 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 03:23 pm

As requested, here is the guide to fitting. First off, they come with velcro straps, but due to the shape of the niner seat at the front, it is impossible to get a good fit using these, so I cut them off and stapled both of mine. When you look at the cover, it seems to be the same at both ends, but one is slightly wider than the other and the wide end goes to the front. Start by putting in a few staples at the back (first pic), then stretch the cover over the front. It isn't necessary to put staples at the very front, but you need to put in a few where the seat kicks up at the front (pic 2). You can then put staples down one side as in pic 3 and you will be left with the last piece which needs to be stretched on for the final fit (pic 4). It is a tight fit, but once stapled, it won't come loose. I bought the XXL version from China for very little money. The seat on my white niner had a tear which had been repaired but you can't see anything, so it would be a very cheap way to repair a seat rather than recovering.

As you can see, the finished article on the bike looks good and is cool in the warm weather and helps the water to run off in the rain. It is also very non-slip, which I like.

Hope this helps. Ali

Attached Files

Edited by AliG, 13 September 2016 - 03:25 pm.

#15 Deauman

Deauman

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 109 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 13 September 2016 - 04:01 pm

I've got one of these and I'm very impressed with it. Makes riding on a hot day sooo much more comfortable. Mine is size XL which was a real struggle to stretch onto the saddle but once in place, and it's only just big enough, it stays put without any staples or other fixing.

#16 dmmsta

dmmsta

• 3,627 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 08:57 pm

As requested, here is the guide to fitting. First off, they come with velcro straps, but due to the shape of the niner seat at the front, it is impossible to get a good fit using these, so I cut them off and stapled both of mine. When you look at the cover, it seems to be the same at both ends, but one is slightly wider than the other and the wide end goes to the front. Start by putting in a few staples at the back (first pic), then stretch the cover over the front. It isn't necessary to put staples at the very front, but you need to put in a few where the seat kicks up at the front (pic 2). You can then put staples down one side as in pic 3 and you will be left with the last piece which needs to be stretched on for the final fit (pic 4). It is a tight fit, but once stapled, it won't come loose. I bought the XXL version from China for very little money. The seat on my white niner had a tear which had been repaired but you can't see anything, so it would be a very cheap way to repair a seat rather than recovering.

As you can see, the finished article on the bike looks good and is cool in the warm weather and helps the water to run off in the rain. It is also very non-slip, which I like.

Hope this helps. Ali

Cheers Ali

You're a legend

-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----

#17 g650xtdm

g650xtdm

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 11:57 pm

Do you think the XL would fit on a MK1 seat?  I'm guessing it probably won't. 

#18 dmmsta

dmmsta

• 3,627 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 08:16 pm

Ali

Thanks again for the pics and info.

Fitted mine at the weekend.

Points of note/interest.

1.  It really is a tight fit - it's doable on your own, but extra hands is definitely a benefit.

2.  Ensure you have a decent staple-gun.  Mine was "ok", but took a few attempts in certain areas to get a secure staple

3.  You dont realise how little ventilation there is until you do a few miles with something like this fitted...breezy nether regions wasn't quite expected, and I imaging that it will be good in wet conditions allowing the rain out.

4.  Will need to add an extra layer in the really cold months me thinks...

-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users