• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jell

Jell

arrived on last train

• 5 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 15 April 2020 - 01:46 pm

Hi all, I'm new here and this is my first post.

I have been lucky enough to inherit a 1997? TDM, unfortunately the carbs have been messed around with and the fuel pipes detached from the tank tap.

Question 1, are all 4TX carbs the same or did they vary?

Question 2, is there a diagram for the direction of the pipes?

I'm not sure which model it is but the frame number prefix is JYA4TX and it has a temp gauge as opposed to a fuel gauge(I've seen that question asked)

Thanks in advance, Jell.

#2 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 15 April 2020 - 02:42 pm

That's a mk2 then, the key to model year is the code under the seat.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#3 Jell

Jell

arrived on last train

• 5 posts

Posted 15 April 2020 - 03:36 pm

That's a mk2 then, the key to model year is the code under the seat.

Ok, Ta, I think I worked that much out regarding the numbers 3VD and 4TX, I just wondered if the carbs may have changed through the mk2 4TX range.  I'll take a look under the seat when I get down to where I'm having to work on it.

#4 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 15 April 2020 - 03:43 pm

Hi and welcome Jell.

This post might be of help to you, pretty sure the pipe routing to the tap is the same.  http://www.carpe-tdm...6141&hl=petcock

The later mk2a '99-'01 850 has different carbs and an electric fuel pump to that of the '96-'98 850.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#5 Jell

Jell

arrived on last train

• 5 posts

Posted 15 April 2020 - 05:47 pm

Hi and welcome Jell.

This post might be of help to you, pretty sure the pipe routing to the tap is the same.  http://www.carpe-tdm...6141&hl=petcock

The later mk2a '99-'01 850 has different carbs and an electric fuel pump to that of the '96-'98 850.

Cheers, that is a great help.

Regarding the carbs. Having looked at some I see some(4TX??) have an electrical connector plugged into a solid mounted connector on the side and other carbs have the plug on a short bit of flex, could this be the mk2a '99-'01 type?

#6 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 15 April 2020 - 06:19 pm

TPS possibly, but i know not much about mk2's, only it's good looking older brother :)

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#7 MickC

MickC

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 15 April 2020 - 07:07 pm

MK2 solid connection    MK2a flexi plus the back of the carb (carb to airbox) is about 10mm wider.

#8 Jell

Jell

arrived on last train

• 5 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 06:34 am

MK2 solid connection    MK2a flexi plus the back of the carb (carb to airbox) is about 10mm wider.

Great. thanks. Things are getting clearer.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Carbs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users