7 replies to this topic

#1 Replicant

Replicant

arrived on last train

• 9 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 20 June 2020 - 07:39 pm

Thanks for all your comments.

If the 2nd upload works then you can see there doesn't seem to be that much ovalling of the tube and as thought the butterfly was giving a bright spot that made the needle look worn.

I'll clean up the jets and airways as Studley suggests and hope that works cos not sure where to go after that :blink:

@MipeTDM    It doesnt need choke at the moment and the spitting gets better once warm but it still runs bad up to 5 thou. Not sure it's lean, the plugs are dark and sooty even after a short run. It def could be using more fuel than usual but havent had it back on the road long enough to tell.

@Studley  How did the fuel get into the oil?

and  'Cut the tangs off the inlet rubbers and you can position the clamps to suit. ;)'  def inetly gonna give that a try

it's the 1999 onwards TDM 850 that has the harder wearing carbs.  I'd get a magnifying glass and look at those needles carefully.

Dunno if it's the brighter spot on the butterfly but that needle looks to be a funny shape, I'm sure the carbs had the same issues till MK2a.

Just out of interest, what mileage/kilometers are we talking about, that these tubes/needles wear out? (as I also have a MK2 from 1997).

BTW these needles do indeed show a quite apparent discrete jump in thickness at one place.

According to Factory Pro, oem toobs can wear after 5000 miles.

Might be worth checking the engine oil level and also have a smell (lick) of it to see if there's any petrol in there.  Sidey blew his carbs off the mk2 after he got fuel leaking into the engine.  Lucky he didn't damage the engine.

Cut the tangs off the inlet rubbers and you can position the clamps to suit. ;)

Not sure it's the emulsion toobs, worn ones tend to result in a wiff of fuel and poor economy.  More likely to be gummed up jets/airways and/or pilot screw settings need adjusting and carbs balancing.  Might help if you add some Redex to the fuel, it deffo helps if you're not riding the bike all year round.

I only now noticed the video, it was still early in the morning last time I looked at this topic :)

The spitting I also associate with a lean condition, more especially an intake air leak. Could indeed be the carb boots (which you replaced): check if the clamps are correctly tightened down, after warnming up the engine.

But also look at the air lines to the fuel pump, idle circuit/choke to name a few things. You could spray e.g. some brake cleaner or deodorant at these parts and see if it is sucked into the engine via any leak.

Do you use the choke when the engine's cold? Does this spitting remain when the engine is warm?

Edit:

Sometimes if the jets are a bit clogged but not fully (yours are definitely not fully clogged, if at all, as it is still idling on all cylinders), these can clear when new fuel is passing by after the 1st ride (and maybe some fresh fuel).

Can't see anything from the photo, apart from some marks on the needle - need to look at the emulsion tubes from directly above for ovalling. Spitting could also be caused by very tight valve clearances 

https://youtu.be/yvB9LZ90Un8

Hi,

as the subject line suggests - I'm thinking Emulsion tubes but happy if anybody else wants to throw their two-penneth in and dissuade me as I didn't enjoy doing it last time and now i'm older and less tolerent,  so save me!

Background is it's a 1997, was laid up for 6 months but turned over every so often. Took it out, and it was running as rough as a badgers arse in the low revs, after 5 it would fly. However, the more I rode it the worse it got. Took it apart, started it up and it blew the carbs off the rubbers (similar spits in the first 10 secs of vid!). Changed the rubbers (btw if anyone has got some choice words as how to get at the screws to tighten up the carb to inlet retainer, I'm all ears). Also, replaced the airbox rubbers as per instuctions by dapleb of this parish (thank you, nice tip). The spitting is a lot worse when it's cold.

So this is a MkII and silly me I thought Yam had cleared this issue up for the later model, Emulsion tubes, that is.

Any thoughts welcome

cheersAttached File  IMG_20200623_185136 (3).jpg   98.77KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_20200623_184907 (2).jpg   88.62KB   0 downloads

Edited by Replicant, 23 June 2020 - 08:16 pm.

#2 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,754 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 20 June 2020 - 07:47 pm

Thought it was the later model mk2 had non replaceable mulsions !! could be wrong, i believe someone pressed em out once upon a time, it's on the site somewhere, they do look worn but ya better wait for a better eye than mine as i'm orf to spec savers in the morning..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#3 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 21 June 2020 - 12:47 am

it's the 1999 onwards TDM 850 that has the harder wearing carbs.  I'd get a magnifying glass and look at those needles carefully.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#4 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,358 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 21 June 2020 - 01:06 am

Dunno if it's the brighter spot on the butterfly but that needle looks to be a funny shape, I'm sure the carbs had the same issues till MK2a.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#5 MipeTDM

MipeTDM

really likes Carpe

• 92 posts

Posted 21 June 2020 - 08:19 am

Just out of interest, what mileage/kilometers are we talking about, that these tubes/needles wear out? (as I also have a MK2 from 1997).

BTW these needles do indeed show a quite apparent discrete jump in thickness at one place.

Edited by MipeTDM, 21 June 2020 - 08:21 am.

#6 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 21 June 2020 - 08:54 am

According to Factory Pro, oem toobs can wear after 5000 miles.

Might be worth checking the engine oil level and also have a smell (lick) of it to see if there's any petrol in there.  Sidey blew his carbs off the mk2 after he got fuel leaking into the engine.  Lucky he didn't damage the engine.

Cut the tangs off the inlet rubbers and you can position the clamps to suit. ;)

Not sure it's the emulsion toobs, worn ones tend to result in a wiff of fuel and poor economy.  More likely to be gummed up jets/airways and/or pilot screw settings need adjusting and carbs balancing.  Might help if you add some Redex to the fuel, it deffo helps if you're not riding the bike all year round.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#7 MipeTDM

MipeTDM

really likes Carpe

• 92 posts

Posted 21 June 2020 - 09:49 am

I only now noticed the video, it was still early in the morning last time I looked at this topic :)

The spitting I also associate with a lean condition, more especially an intake air leak. Could indeed be the carb boots (which you replaced): check if the clamps are correctly tightened down, after warnming up the engine.

But also look at the air lines to the fuel pump, idle circuit/choke to name a few things. You could spray e.g. some brake cleaner or deodorant at these parts and see if it is sucked into the engine via any leak.

Do you use the choke when the engine's cold? Does this spitting remain when the engine is warm?

Edit:

Sometimes if the jets are a bit clogged but not fully (yours are definitely not fully clogged, if at all, as it is still idling on all cylinders), these can clear when new fuel is passing by after the 1st ride (and maybe some fresh fuel).

Edited by MipeTDM, 21 June 2020 - 09:58 am.

#8 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 21 June 2020 - 11:44 am

Can't see anything from the photo, apart from some marks on the needle - need to look at the emulsion tubes from directly above for ovalling. Spitting could also be caused by very tight valve clearances 

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Carbs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users