#21 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 12 June 2020 - 04:00 pm

From memory, just the front plastics, tank, airbox and seat.  Pretty straighforward to swap over, just take some photos of the old loom in place to help with routing the replacement.  Plenty of breaks and cake eating will help. :)  Think I started in the middle of the loom when fitting, routing around the fusebox area first.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#22 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 12 June 2020 - 04:48 pm

You may have to just loosen up the undertray to route the loom back for rear and indicators, once everything is removed i feed the loom through to the front 1st and adjust as needed, you'll see where it lays when you get to the thermostat and coil pigtails, easy peasy then..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#23 Grendel

Grendel

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 227 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 13 June 2020 - 10:28 am

Ok I will give it a go once all parts arrive but thinking may have to remove carbs as well since the crap failed airhorn seems to be attached to inside of frame next to them somehow.

#24 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 13 June 2020 - 01:29 pm

Ok I will give it a go once all parts arrive but thinking may have to remove carbs as well since the crap failed airhorn seems to be attached to inside of frame next to them somehow.

Before you move the carbs, really that's last option, see if removing the battery and battery box gives room to get the horn out, free's up a lot of space..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#25 Grendel

Grendel

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 04 July 2020 - 11:51 am

Bikes finally back from mechanic it had to have the main loom rebuilt new coil and starter solenoid and old horn & 12V socket removed. Unfortunately he rebuild the spare loom only to find it didn’t work so then rebuilt original faulty loom so now have a reconditioned standard loom which may as well sell (Sorry Dalik no old loom to pull apart) only issue I have is that the new horn is mounted on the side so cant fit side panels now and after changing sub loom for faulty headlight bloody thing still dodgy BUT at least I  can now start and ride the bloody bike at long last.

Apparently, it should have had an output of 16 kilo-ohms but was actually 1.2 mega-ohms no wonder it was failing and melting things.

Looks a bit empty now would this fit my 1991 bike??

https://www.ebay.co....QIAAOSwPwpeTrj9

Attached Files

Edited by Grendel, 04 July 2020 - 12:59 pm.

#26 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 04 July 2020 - 01:20 pm

Remove the top fairing and place the horn onto the inner side of the sub frame with a longer bolt and nut, fit's fine with the covers back on just about here.

Attached File  post-3691-0-51462400-1593863316_thumb_LI.jpg   312.42KB   0 downloads

That cover says for a 96 which is a mk2, check if it is off a 3vd..

Sorted for fuse box....

Please do not sell on a faulty loom unless you provide that info in the description, you'll only be passing shoite onto somebody else..

#27 Grendel

Grendel

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 07:36 am

Thanks for info.

Must admit i did try to mount it there but the horn mounting was too small for the bolt to go through so would need to drill out and get longer bolt.

Must admit i was a bit sceptical about a 1996 cover from a Mk1.

The looms been tested apparently but did not work with my bike which seemed odd?

Must admit I am growing to like it without side panels. Theoretically should give better cooling for the engine and radiator??

Edited by Grendel, 05 July 2020 - 07:46 am.

#28 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 09:29 am

Thanks for info.

Must admit i did try to mount it there but the horn mounting was too small for the bolt to go through so would need to drill out and get longer bolt.

Must admit i was a bit sceptical about a 1996 cover from a Mk1.

The looms been tested apparently but did not work with my bike which seemed odd?

Must admit I am growing to like it without side panels. Theoretically should give better cooling for the engine and radiator??

Confused ! if he rebuilt the loom and tested it why wont it work !!

#29 Grendel

Grendel

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 02:32 pm

No idea. He tested it and says it worked on the bench but not on my bike. Also somthing about my bike electrics different from other bikes???

Although went for a  short 65 mile test ride and it fly's now all elecrical engine gremlins gone smoother running no backfire and better exceration. Lets just say its capale of loosing a berk in a focus ST on the motorway now. :rotflmmfao:

Edited by Grendel, 05 July 2020 - 02:39 pm.

#30 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 06 July 2020 - 11:17 am

Bikes finally back from mechanic it had to have the main loom rebuilt new coil and starter solenoid and old horn & 12V socket removed. Unfortunately he rebuild the spare loom only to find it didn’t work so then rebuilt original faulty loom so now have a reconditioned standard loom which may as well sell (Sorry Dalik no old loom to pull apart) only issue I have is that the new horn is mounted on the side so cant fit side panels now and after changing sub loom for faulty headlight bloody thing still dodgy BUT at least I  can now start and ride the bloody bike at long last.

Apparently, it should have had an output of 16 kilo-ohms but was actually 1.2 mega-ohms no wonder it was failing and melting things.

Looks a bit empty now would this fit my 1991 bike??

https://www.ebay.co....QIAAOSwPwpeTrj9

yes thas for a 3VD  so twill fit your 1991 model.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#31 Grendel

Grendel

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 02 March 2023 - 01:52 pm

TREAD REVIVAL :cleanup:

Fecking Bike is STILL giving me crap running rough and intermittently stalling at low revs when it feels like sometimes worse when lights on sometimes not since totally random.

So far it has had:

Full carbs rebuild and clean.

Shims and Valve Clearance

Tank off and cleaned out.

New fuel pump.

Main wiring loom rebuild.

New regulator/rectifier.

New ignition coil and iridium plugs.

Newish battery.

Bikes only done around 400 miles in last 2 years since just cant rely on it anymore and at wits end. Beginning to wish someone would steal it but sadly they wouldn’t get far. :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

Edited by Grendel, 02 March 2023 - 03:42 pm.

#32 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 02 March 2023 - 04:43 pm

Tried some normal plugs? I have a Honda dominator which uses a little oil, after a few mins of running it turns into a misfiring unridable bucking bronco. Normal plug and alls well again. Iridium plugs don't seem to deal with a little oil.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#33 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 02 March 2023 - 05:00 pm

My first thought too catte. I have heard sooooo many tales of niggly problems solved by removing iridiums... how so..i ruh roh....electrical innit.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#34 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 02 March 2023 - 07:31 pm

That sounds like a carb/fuel/mixture problem. I think the lights on/off running rough is a coincidence. I know you said the carbs have been rebuilt but all it takes is a microscopic shit on the wrong (right?) place and it won't run right. I'm in the minority in that I don't think ultrasonic cleaning is the fix all with carb problems. I prefer the human touch as a final inspection before rebuild. As a thought, have you checked the carb breather pipes are clear and routed right? I had a Dominator (I see a pattern here!) Which ran shit after I cleaned the carb and it turned out the breather pipe (CV carb as well) was partly blocked with some snot and I routed it the wrong way and was slightly kinked. Cleaned and re-routed it and it ran perfect. Worth checking.

Edited by Pedro, 02 March 2023 - 07:34 pm.

#35 Grendel

Grendel

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 03 March 2023 - 08:55 am

Thanks for advice. First thing I’m checking is battery volts since wouldn’t restart with lights on when it stalled and easier to get to with the extender wire before I strip bike again.

Bike was running fine when I first changed to iridium plugs. All this trouble started after dirty carbs and burnt out regulator.  Also turns out battery is 3 yrs old and been flat several times in past and bikes had various electric problems over the years. Carb wise they have been striped, cleaned and rebuilt twice also they found cams 1 tooth retarded when they did shims and valve clearance.

#36 PeterGriffin

PeterGriffin

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 56 posts
  • TDM model: 1994

Posted 03 March 2023 - 09:13 am

Have you tried the brake cleaner on the carb rubbers test ??

I had an issue with erratic starting too..turned out the brushes were shot....

#37 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 03 March 2023 - 10:13 am

Thanks for advice. First thing I’m checking is battery volts since wouldn’t restart with lights on when it stalled and easier to get to with the extender wire before I strip bike again.

Bike was running fine when I first changed to iridium plugs. All this trouble started after dirty carbs and burnt out regulator.  Also turns out battery is 3 yrs old and been flat several times in past and bikes had various electric problems over the years. Carb wise they have been striped, cleaned and rebuilt twice also they found cams 1 tooth retarded when they did shims and valve clearance.

+1 you have to check the battery at least at this point.

Cranking volts shouldn't drop below 10, even better if it's 11, but a catastrophically knackered battery, caused by long periods of flatness, will drop very low sometimes and then there isn't enough juice to run the electronic ignition.

When it stalls, does it just run down as if you hit the kill switch, or is there a little judder or a pop immediately before stopping, which is what mine did, traced to an air leak at the rubbers. The fuel pump gave me grief too, a tiny spec of dirt got into the valve reeds and stopped it pumping properly.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#38 Grendel

Grendel

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 03 March 2023 - 01:07 pm

The rpm drop/cut out is random, will be running fine then revs drop/stall or just come back up otherwise it just shuts off like kill switch hit when pulling up at lights if headlights on so must keep revving it. All fine at higher revs.

Just ordered a new battery to see if it makes a difference since everything else electrical has been changed so far. Must admit looking to sell up in the summer since it spends more time in bits than being ridden past few years. Perhaps a sign my biking days are over.

Edited by Grendel, 03 March 2023 - 01:08 pm.

#39 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 03 March 2023 - 02:43 pm

The rpm drop/cut out is random, will be running fine then revs drop/stall or just come back up otherwise it just shuts off like kill switch hit when pulling up at lights if headlights on so must keep revving it. All fine at higher revs.

Just ordered a new battery to see if it makes a difference since everything else electrical has been changed so far. Must admit looking to sell up in the summer since it spends more time in bits than being ridden past few years. Perhaps a sign my biking days are over.

Naw, a change of bike is good enough. There's some cheap niners around at the moment. Or you might find that once you get the stalling issue sorted it just runs like a train and makes you smile again, eventually

You're issue with the battery might be the alternator/regulator (did you mention it was changed ?)  because at idle the charge system is giving it's lowest output, so a voltage check would give you an immediate indication

Edited by fixitsan, 03 March 2023 - 02:43 pm.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#40 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 06 March 2023 - 08:34 am

Agree on checking the voltages.  When the Reg/Rec failed on my Mk1 it was putting out way too high a voltage and cooked the battery.  If you have a multimeter the first few checks from this are worth doing

https://nsr-world.co...ult_finding.pdf

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users