#1 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 06 July 2020 - 04:58 pm

So ChrisR and myself took a ride up to see Mr Henty. I had some bits for him and in return he did some bits for us!

What a great day out. I was fascinated and memorised the whole day. "Think we will need a new bolt for there. I'll go make one" ......I just stared as he fired up the Lathe!

A true Engineer in every respect. About 213 miles in the day, Sunburnt and the wind nearly took us out several times but home with a smile on my face.

A big thank you Mr H.

Cats 

Before and after to follow:

Attached Files

Edited by catsbum, 06 July 2020 - 05:00 pm.

#2 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 06 July 2020 - 05:12 pm

Lubbly.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#3 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 06 July 2020 - 05:20 pm

That photo of the lathe is parting off from the 25mm bar of 316 stainless, with a Swiss made 2mm carbide parting tool.(One of my favourite lathe tools)
The tips cost £5 a throw so I look after mine with plenty of coolant.
I tried to get you both on the lathe,
there isn't much to it.
I had to do something, I just couldn't put that corroded bolt back.

Edited by leehenty, 06 July 2020 - 05:27 pm.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#4 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 06 July 2020 - 05:27 pm

Good job Lee :good:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#5 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 05:31 pm

That fancy phone he has, must be good in the camera dept, it captured the steam from the coolant.
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#6 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• 1,176 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 06 July 2020 - 06:59 pm

You should have made him a chain Lee 

or told him how to clean one, tut tut, you must try harder catsbum  :rotflmmfao:

#7 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 06 July 2020 - 07:05 pm

Nice. :cool:  Good stuff Lee.  Thanks for sharing Cats. :good:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#8 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 08:12 pm

How those blingy things come out of a spinning piece of metal I'll never know. That's some special talent alongside harnessing nuclear power.

Edited by Pedro, 06 July 2020 - 08:13 pm.

#9 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 09:07 pm

There isn't much to it really. Digital readouts do much of the calculation and provide a repeatable zero. Then it's just feed speeds and compound angles. Modern carbide indexed inserts tooling helps a lot. Very little grinding tools now.

Edited by leehenty, 06 July 2020 - 09:07 pm.

#10 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• 1,444 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 06 July 2020 - 09:52 pm

There isn't much to it really. Digital readouts do much of the calculation and provide a repeatable zero. Then it's just feed speeds and compound angles. Modern carbide indexed inserts tooling helps a lot. Very little grinding tools now.

He lost me at digital readouts.

2004 900 - Blue with lots of goodies

2012 900 - Still adding shiny bits. Was black, changed to white and now back to black again.

#11 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 06 July 2020 - 09:58 pm

There isn't much to it really. 

:rotflmmfao: Understatement of the year. I was lucky enough to have a proper engineer, like Lee, teaching us Gas Engineering back in my apprenticeship days. We had a lathe, milling machine and welding kit in the college workshop and we were taught the basics as a bonus, it wasn't in the curriculum. As Pedro says, creating a bolt from a lump of steel seemed like magic at the time.

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#12 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 07 July 2020 - 06:32 am

Impressive! I would like to have a shop like Henty's nearby...think I would come up with excuses to have parts made just to watch... 😎
Bjørge

#13 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 07 July 2020 - 08:28 am

I can give fellow Carpedians lessons.

I run a project opening up a workshop in partnership with the local Mind branch called "Men's Shed"

I supplied the Lathe, miller and tooling down there. Aimed at men over 50. We have had an enforced shutdown due to Covid 19.
Tried to explain the principles of a dividing head to Cats. I grew up with it all. I was using a lathe at 10.

#14 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 07 July 2020 - 10:41 am

Wish there was a Lee Henty near me! Or that I had the skills and the tools. Mmmm wonder if there will be any night school classes for this opening soon......

#15 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 07 July 2020 - 11:14 am

Check out https://menssheds.org.uk/ Keith.  There's one near you that does metalwork.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#16 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 07 July 2020 - 12:23 pm

I run a project opening up a workshop in partnership with the local Mind branch called "Men's Shed"

I supplied the Lathe, miller and tooling down there. Aimed at men over 50. We have had an enforced shutdown due to Covid 19.Tried to explain the principles of a dividing head to Cats. I grew up with it all. I was using a lathe at 10.

I can only dream of an opportunity like that!

Edited by Pedro, 07 July 2020 - 12:28 pm.

#17 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 07 July 2020 - 12:29 pm

This is a 90:1 rotary table with a dividing plate fitted. Lets you mill curved slots and quadrants when dividing plate isn't fitted or divide circles to make hex heads for example when it is fitted. I don't do the sums for this, too tedious. 90:1 tables are out there in the web.

Edited by leehenty, 07 July 2020 - 03:37 pm.

#18 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 07 July 2020 - 02:12 pm

Yes please! When summat somewhat "normal" returns I would be very interested in that.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#19 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 07 July 2020 - 03:51 pm

You should have made him a chain Lee 

or told him how to clean one, tut tut, you must try harder catsbum  :rotflmmfao:

Hold my head in shame. About to order a new set so all will be good!

#20 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 07 July 2020 - 05:23 pm

This is a 90:1 rotary table with a dividing plate fitted. Lets you mill curved slots and quadrants when dividing plate isn't fitted or divide circles to make hex heads for example when it is fitted. I don't do the sums for this, too tedious. 90:1 tables are out there in the web.

In the pub again then Lee?
Fell over at 90:1.!!
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users