#41 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 10 July 2020 - 02:32 pm

The skool what I work in, a supposed "engineering college", got rid of all karting, engines, welding, brazing and grinding kit because, to quote the Head, "people don't repair cars anymore".
We're left with lathes, milling kit etc, but kids work with plastic,nylon and wood!! FFS!!
BTW..I'm first in line when the lathes go!!
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#42 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 10 July 2020 - 03:09 pm

And get one of the Millers too
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#43 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 10 July 2020 - 04:22 pm

my school got rid of lathes but they were huge.

Got shipped off to india I believe

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#44 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 06:31 pm

University took over a local FE college and auctioned off all the Colchesters and they all had Copp variators fitted. Really good kit. All went to Taiwan.
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#45 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Location:West of France, south of the Loire...the good bit !
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 10 July 2020 - 09:21 pm

The skool what I work in, a supposed "engineering college", got rid of all karting, engines, welding, brazing and grinding kit because, to quote the Head, "people don't repair cars anymore".
We're left with lathes, milling kit etc, but kids work with plastic,nylon and wood!! FFS!!
BTW..I'm first in line when the lathes go!!

Sad, but your Head is probably right.   How many TV repair shops do you see today ?    Garages have been going the same way for years.   This is progress they tell us, and at the same time whine on about recycling.....

#46 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 11 July 2020 - 10:35 am

Thanks to this discussion I came up with the idea to turn my old drill press into a milling machine using a router bit for wood. The mission was adjusting the guide on a new table saw that I bought. Had filed for an hour or so starting to get fed up as much material on the guide mount needed to be removed. Success! 😎
...it was aluminum and yes, one pic is flipped

Attached Files

Bjørge

#47 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 01:17 pm

Dad used to call doing that "Grimsby milling"
He had to resort to doing that in a pillar drill, in a fish factory up there to make a part to get the machine going.

#48 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 13 July 2020 - 05:35 pm

You should have made him a chain Lee 

or told him how to clean one, tut tut, you must try harder catsbum  :rotflmmfao:

Ramo

Am I forgiven now?

Attached Files

#49 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 08:11 pm

New locking washer ?

#50 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• 1,176 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 13 July 2020 - 09:36 pm

Ramo

Am I forgiven now?

Go on then,  :good:  LOL

Edited by ramo, 13 July 2020 - 09:36 pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users