#1 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 09 May 2021 - 12:31 pm

Righto then, bike will be going back on Sorn end of this month.

Quick update

Popping and farting through the carbs, cant sustain idle, initially revs all over the place but always eventually idle drops and bike stalls out, no vacuum leak i can find but anyway would expect revs to rise not fall !

Re-cleaned Mk2a carbs 

New spark plugs

New coil.......old coil tested high but the only real way to know is replacement.

Result, more popping and farting one very aggressive bang dislodged carb slightly.

Valve cover off, timing okay but redid a couple of shims which i were'nt to happy with, timing reset.

Same result.

Replaced carbs with Mk1 re-cleaned carbse

Result, popping and farting through the carbs and can hear a few in the exhaust.

Checked all ignition related wiring, all seems good.

Possibly CDI !!! but from what i can gather they either work or they dont.

So it seems i have a phantom problem that's evolved in the last 50 miles of testing carbs ??

Ordered a compression tester today cos i have a horrible feeling valve train is fookin around..

Quite a change from a perfectly running bike..

Been off this week and had to play musical chairs with the weather, seriously considering hanging me boots up but i'll get bored anyway so may as well fix the bassad...

So it's looking very doubtful to be carb related but cant get me head around how the problem has began to manifest when i changed the carbs ??

Pissed orf....

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#2 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 09 May 2021 - 12:43 pm

Stick with it Cliff, it's nearly campfire time.

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#3 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 09 May 2021 - 01:13 pm

Mk1 carbs known working carbs dabbers or untested since reclean?
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#4 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 01:28 pm

Mk1 carbs known working carbs dabbers or untested since reclean?

Mk1 carbs working purfect daps last september when float bowl cracked, cleaned out and bowls sprayed with acf50 then stored in air tight container, so known working then, re-cleaned before i put them on... popping and farting excessive.

Edit....these were the carbs which were split and blasted and had new throttle shaft seals and every thing else renewed before rebuild..

Stick with it Cliff, it's nearly campfire time.

Cant do it quick Al, being weather dependant fooks me over everytime..

Edited by dablik, 09 May 2021 - 01:31 pm.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#5 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 09 May 2021 - 01:39 pm

Yeah, it was p down yesterday while I was in Fazakerley (near, but not in, HMP Altcourse).

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#6 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 01:50 pm

Yeah, it was p down yesterday while I was in Fazakerley (near, but not in, HMP Altcourse).

Been on and off all week, forecast is rain or at least showers for weeks yet, anyway will do one's best..

#7 Dickiebig

Dickiebig

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 176 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 09 May 2021 - 01:57 pm

Best of luck to you, you will, I am sure find the issue and curse when you do

#8 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 09 May 2021 - 02:55 pm

I know you mentioned vacuum leaks, but I once bought a bike which developed this sort of problem, and the carb rubber was leaking where it bolted to the head. There was an o-ring which was falling apart

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#9 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 06:08 pm

Best of luck to you, you will, I am sure find the issue and curse when you do

Cheers Dickie i'll get on it when time allows.

#10 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 06:16 pm

I know you mentioned vacuum leaks, but I once bought a bike which developed this sort of problem, and the carb rubber was leaking where it bolted to the head. There was an o-ring which was falling apart

I hear you, that's a possibility i've come across, however the manifold/carb inlets had new o'rings and new carb rubbers also at rebuild, does'nt mean i can rule it out though, i did check the inlets had'nt come loose though and they are firm so a check of the orings might be in order, doing a vacuum test on this bike i'snt the easiest either, might see if i can find a pipe to fit me butane torch..

Also had the carb rubbers orientated both ways just in case with no change, be unlikely the've gone west.

I think at this point it's probably best to do a compression test and then onwards, how warm does the bike need to get before test (dont fancy running it for long) or can it be done cold and add 10-15% !!!

#11 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 09 May 2021 - 06:41 pm

sorry to hear that cliff, have you tested the pickup coil in the alternator?

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#12 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 07:35 pm

Hi Drew, actually no i did'nt check it, easy enough on the bike but suspect i need to heat it as you would the ignition coil for a true reading ? could certainly be the issue and think i may have a spare actually..

Edit.... i also suspected the alternator or reg/rec but seeing how i'm getting 14+v at idle disregarded... could the pick up be problematic even so ?

Edited by dablik, 09 May 2021 - 07:41 pm.

#13 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 09 May 2021 - 08:30 pm

Only time I had similar symptoms was when the scottoiler vap pipe came off the vac pipe T piece, allowing air in.  Sooooo, might be worth double checking both vac pipes for any possible air leaks.

Is the battery fully charged Dabs ?

Same symtoms regardless of which carbs you fit suggests it's summat else, but could be a japanese curveball.

Keep with it mucka, you're nearly there.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#14 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 09:19 pm

Only time I had similar symptoms was when the scottoiler vap pipe came off the vac pipe T piece, allowing air in.  Sooooo, might be worth double checking both vac pipes for any possible air leaks.

Is the battery fully charged Dabs ?

Same symtoms regardless of which carbs you fit suggests it's summat else, but could be a japanese curveball.

Keep with it mucka, you're nearly there.

:lol:  :lol: nearly there keeps getting prolonged dunnit, got new vac pipe on the way, i did replace it to the pump with some i had lying around, seems a bit excessive for a vac leak only though but not having experienced that particular problem before i dunno, battery fully charged plenty of volts on the gauge when running 14+ but same symptoms on another battery.

It wont defeat me but at times i cant bare to go near it  :huh:  be sorted around getting the garden done now an all so whatever will be will be, might just buy another bike  ;) that'll teach it.

Edit.... no spare pick up coil to be found, it was from a mk2 anyway so dont think them's a swap.....been having a nose about for one but i would have to pull the old one 1st for dimensions as yamakak dont provide as a single item with an oem number.

Edited by dablik, 09 May 2021 - 09:23 pm.

#15 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 09 May 2021 - 09:40 pm

Fuel pump ? My mk1 developed a lot of crap in the pump reed valves which had come down from the tank after being stood for a while, but I suppose you have a filter though ?

Symptoms were similar unless I brimmed the tank

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#16 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 10 May 2021 - 06:01 am

Hi Drew, actually no i did'nt check it, easy enough on the bike but suspect i need to heat it as you would the ignition coil for a true reading ? could certainly be the issue and think i may have a spare actually..

Edit.... i also suspected the alternator or reg/rec but seeing how i'm getting 14+v at idle disregarded... could the pick up be problematic even so ?

its just something to check as it may not be the carbs after all. take an ohm check.
I bought a pick up coil for my other bikes using a visual check with the right ohms rating

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#17 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 10:55 am

Fuel pump ? My mk1 developed a lot of crap in the pump reed valves which had come down from the tank after being stood for a while, but I suppose you have a filter though ?

Symptoms were similar unless I brimmed the tank

Checked already Chris before these issues but also was running off auxilliary fuel.

its just something to check as it may not be the carbs after all. take an ohm check.
I bought a pick up coil for my other bikes using a visual check with the right ohms rating

Did read about this as a possible issue, somehow slipped by when i was at the bike, think i may have found a suitable replacement if needed..

#18 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 10 May 2021 - 06:41 pm

Just a few thoughts mucka. Have you tried opening the fuel tank cap ?  Also wondering if it's possible to have kinked the fuel supply pipe at some point, or squished the inline fuel filter in the supply pipe, restricting flow of fuel ?  Could also try running with the remote fuel supply see if it makes any difference.  Finally, you could check the heat from the downpipes as soon as you start it up to see if one is a lot cooler than the other, could narrow down the problem if one is.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#19 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 08:19 am

Just a few thoughts mucka. Have you tried opening the fuel tank cap ?  Also wondering if it's possible to have kinked the fuel supply pipe at some point, or squished the inline fuel filter in the supply pipe, restricting flow of fuel ?  Could also try running with the remote fuel supply see if it makes any difference.  Finally, you could check the heat from the downpipes as soon as you start it up to see if one is a lot cooler than the other, could narrow down the problem if one is.

Hope you got some sleep matey  :)

Fuel tank vent clear, checked that, fuel supply lines are noice and straight and the fuel filter sits in the T connection nice and firmly, checked all that when i was having only the surging at 3-4k revs but all the popping and farting has only happened while using the remote fuel supply, it must be coincidental and if it's a follow on from the surging ie a problem gradually becoming worse it's more likely to be an electrical issue...or... i wonder if the CCT has not engaged properly and the timing chain has slipped, i did rotate the engine by hand and check the timing 3 times and was okay then. Oh yeah also both downpipes are hot so firing on both cylinders, popping and farting from both as well which suggests timing or valve issue !! or the pick up coil.

Anyway as work is in the way just now and i've got a compression tester on the way i'll do that next and check the pick up, failing any surprises there i'll go over the electrics again, CDI could be a problem i spose but without swapping it out wont know, that will be a last resort to replace though...

I really thought the Mk2a carbs were an issue hence swapping over to Mk1, sods law eh, dont mind all the work and still some 30 year old bits on, it's just putting plastics and tank back on/off every time along with the tools but that's me lot innit, and i wont bloody surrender, the bitch is gonna work again  :good:

#20 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 11 May 2021 - 08:58 am

Keep at it Dabs, you'll get there in the end.

You sooo much need a shed with a good light....

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users