4 replies to this topic

#1 tullyhubbert

tullyhubbert

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 02 October 2018 - 09:43 pm

No not on my 9er, a Ducati Monster 1100 I'm considering as a replacement for my SV1000.

The bike is 2012, 5000 miles done mostly in the first 3 years, its sat about a lot since. The oil sight glass is very white when on the side stand (Its on the RHS) but when you lift the bike up the oil looks fine. 

Nothing to worry about is a couple of friends opinions, what do you think?

Signature test

#2 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 03 October 2018 - 09:19 am

Sounds like some discolouration on the sight glass, maybe from the hot oil, if so it's nothing to worry about so long as you can see the oil level.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#3 MickC

MickC

Carpe junky

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 05 October 2018 - 11:51 am

I would say a lack of use has got some condensation in the engine and the oil is maybe a bit milky and left a film on the site glass,or the glass simply has condesation/oil film on it an engine needs to be run for a bit to heat it up enough to burn It all off,get some hot oil washing over it (never been a fan off starting a bike in your garage and running It for a short time,does more harm than good in my opinion).

Get the bike out for a proper run if poss it will disappear I rekon.

#4 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 15 October 2018 - 08:25 pm

Easy to change a sight glass if it is discoloured, cheap enough too  https://www.ebay.co....aXyAL:rk:1:pf:0

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#5 tullyhubbert

tullyhubbert

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 04 November 2018 - 11:10 pm

Thanks for the replies, the bike I was looking at had a few more cosmetic issues than my OCD could live with so I passed on that one.
Signature test

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users