#1 Latestarter

Latestarter

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 28 October 2018 - 03:35 pm

Afternoon guys

Just thought Id give you an update on how Im getting with the KTM after 6 years of ownership of my TDM which I sold 6+ months ago, still loving the KTM have to say and finally getting use to the agricultural feeling of German engineering in comparison to the slick Japanese mechanics.

Pickup & speed are nuts, so much low down power on tap, just like the TDM but more... lots more.

Now here is where you guys come in, as you do... Ive joined the KTM SMT forum, like Carpe im a fully paid up member enjoying all the benifits.... but thats where it ends.

I had read in the past that this forum was the best around and I can confirm that its 100% true, considering how big KTM are their forum/forums are pants I can put a question up there and get nothings for weeks... theres no encouragement to interact with other like minded owners and its very insular.

So... please keep up the good work and you all ride safe - as crap as their forums are Im still sticking with the KTM.

Remember, whatever anyone says cake is good for you 😂

Attached Files

2003 TDM900 in Galaxy Blue with 32k on the clock

Scottolier, TDM Gel Saddle, Blue HEL Brake Line Upgrade Feeding Blue Spot Callipers. Air Intake Mod,

Oxford Heated Grips, Polisport Handguards, RM-G Crash bars & Centre Stand, Givi
Touring & Double Bubble Screens, Bar Risers, Renthal 755 Riser Bars,
Givi E22N Panniers & Top Box, Clear Indicator Lens Conversation, Clear LED Rear Light Conversion, Mirror Extenders, TDM Stainless Radiator Cover and Stainless Screen Screws, SP Performance Carbon Tri-Oval Cans,
HID Headlight Upgrade, DRL Spotlights and Still Spending But Dont Tell The Wife!!

#2 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,114 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 28 October 2018 - 03:51 pm

Glad yar enjoying the new boike LS. Welcome back ear anytime TDM or not.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#3 trevini

trevini

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,777 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 28 October 2018 - 03:57 pm

Always good to hear from members past and present. Glad you like the new bike too, it's a model that crossed my mind a few times. How about writing a full comparison to the niner/review type thing. I'm pretty sure it'll be appreciated (by me at the very least), as it's always nice to see how the trusty old TDMs fare against newer, shiny things.

2004 Galaxy Blue. Owned since 486 miles.Renthal 755 bars, Bagster tank cover, Oxford heated grips, DL650 hand guards, Double Bubble screen, Scorpion Rad guard, Gel pad insert, HLD undertray, Angry Badger tailtidy,  Michelin Road 5s, Givi E21s, E46 topbox, Ohlins shock and YSS cartridge emulators   Currently not fitted - PC3, Remus Revolutions.

LCErj.jpg

Putting up with the "niner" jokes since 2005
Check out http://www.hotcoldground.co.uk we're really rather good!
Like food? I feed people -  SmokinGrillGuy <p>

#4 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 28 October 2018 - 04:21 pm

If you need any KTM info, try using the UKGSer forum, they've got a KTM section and it's quite lively. :)

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#5 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 07:53 pm

I got a Duke 620 6 weeks ago, and crashed it a couple weeks afterwards, now nursing a broken collar bone. I just came over the crest of a hill to find 3 deer parked in the middle of the road. It could have happened on any bike, and was only going 40mph.

The KTM survived with hardly any damage which I repaired for under £80 and some vinyl wrap, mostly because it crashed down on me, but wow..it pulls so hard, it vibrates a lot and I am keeping it as a second bike to the TDM. It's a great partnership, TDM for fast runs over distance, and the KTM for all the B-roads around here.

Everything they wrote about it here regarding steering clear I ignored...it is that much fun though.....  https://www.motorcyc...620_duke 95.htm

I know someone who ditched his 990 because 'it just wants to go fast all the time, it's a beast'  Personally I like that sort of attitude and might trade up in the future :) Can't see me getting rid of the TDM, it just works and it works well

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#6 Latestarter

Latestarter

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 08:14 pm

I got a Duke 620 6 weeks ago, and crashed it a couple weeks afterwards, now nursing a broken collar bone. I just came over the crest of a hill to find 3 deer parked in the middle of the road. It could have happened on any bike, and was only going 40mph.

The KTM survived with hardly any damage which I repaired for under £80 and some vinyl wrap, mostly because it crashed down on me, but wow..it pulls so hard, it vibrates a lot and I am keeping it as a second bike to the TDM. It's a great partnership, TDM for fast runs over distance, and the KTM for all the B-roads around here.

Everything they wrote about it here regarding steering clear I ignored...it is that much fun though.....  https://www.motorcyc...620_duke 95.htm
I know someone who ditched his 990 because 'it just wants to go fast all the time, it's a beast'  Personally I like that sort of attitude and might trade up in the future :) Can't see me getting rid of the TDM, it just works and it works well

The SMT is fast, very fast and just wants to go... as for the vibration I understand its on all KTMs due to the V-Twin unit, its takes a lot to get use to and nearly to the point of me looking to move it on early days, but if you can get past that and stick with it theyre a blast.

My personal opinion is thats theres no comparison between the KTM & TDM power units on smoothness as the TDM wins hands down - Period.

What Ill do is do a write-up against the 900TDM listing the pros & cons on each.... touching on my forum comment, this just proves it in the replies from you guys.

Attached Files

2003 TDM900 in Galaxy Blue with 32k on the clock

Scottolier, TDM Gel Saddle, Blue HEL Brake Line Upgrade Feeding Blue Spot Callipers. Air Intake Mod,

Oxford Heated Grips, Polisport Handguards, RM-G Crash bars & Centre Stand, Givi
Touring & Double Bubble Screens, Bar Risers, Renthal 755 Riser Bars,
Givi E22N Panniers & Top Box, Clear Indicator Lens Conversation, Clear LED Rear Light Conversion, Mirror Extenders, TDM Stainless Radiator Cover and Stainless Screen Screws, SP Performance Carbon Tri-Oval Cans,
HID Headlight Upgrade, DRL Spotlights and Still Spending But Dont Tell The Wife!!

#7 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 08:21 pm

The SMT is fast, very fast and just wants to go... as for the vibration I understand its on all KTMs due to the V-Twin unit, its takes a lot to get use to and nearly to the point of me looking to move it on early days, but if you can get past that and stick with it theyre a blast.

My personal opinion is thats theres no comparison between the KTM & TDM power units on smoothness as the TDM wins hands down - Period.

What Ill do is do a write-up against the 900TDM listing the pros & cons on each.... touching on my forum comment, this just proves it in the replies from you guys.

I'ld look forward to your write-up. The 620 vibes are just because it's an unbalanced single. but i actually like it...If I were to describe the bike accurately it would be that it has absolutely nothing that it does not need to have. It's my first big single. The 690 has balancer shafts, and the 790 twin has got my attention now but it costs too much for a second bike in my garage

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users