Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Custom Designed Tdm Screen Ready To Go! High Impact Acrylic Version Is A Goer! - Sold

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#41 gdaymarty

gdaymarty

discovering Carpe

• 12 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 13 June 2009 - 12:00 pm

GDAY
JUST A QUICK QUESTION
IS THE SCREEN NOW HIGH IMPACT ACRYLIC OR POLYCARBONATE?,IF POLY HAS IT GOT THE HARD ABRASION COATING ON IT?
CAN YOU GIVE SPECS ON MATERIAL (ACRYLIC / POLYCARBONATE)...THANKS

#42 DufferzTDM

DufferzTDM

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 126 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 13 June 2009 - 01:32 pm

these screens look and im sure, work brilliant! If i had a 9er i'd gladly buy one smile.gif
--TDM850 1991 Rider--

Current bikes: Yamaha DT50MX(1983) -- Honda CG125E(1976) -- Kawasaki z650(1978) -- Yamaha TDM850(1991) x2!

#43 Toraneko

Toraneko

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 13 June 2009 - 02:51 pm

QUOTE(gdaymarty @ Sat 13th Jun 2009, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
GDAY
JUST A QUICK QUESTION
IS THE SCREEN NOW HIGH IMPACT ACRYLIC OR POLYCARBONATE?,IF POLY HAS IT GOT THE HARD ABRASION COATING ON IT?
CAN YOU GIVE SPECS ON MATERIAL (ACRYLIC / POLYCARBONATE)...THANKS

Can't find anyone in Oz willing to Hot mold screens out of Polycarbonate for me. To expensive.

These screens are high impact Acrylic. Approx 30 times more impact resistant than glass. I don't have all the exact material specifications but you should be able to find them
on the Net.

cheers, Shane from Tassie

Airbox Mod ( JBX ), Krauser K-wing mount & Top Box, TDM Shield a.k.a TigerScreen Mk 2, HyperPro progressive rate fork springs, BeoWulf - Warrior exhausts,
Stebel Compact Nautilus Air-Horn with Eastern Beaver relay kit, Eastern Beaver PC-8 switched fusebox, Powerlet BMW style power socket
plus controller & heated gloves for the missus. Oxford v7 Heated Grips, V-Strom 650 HandGuards, Fenda extenda.

#44 norty

norty

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 161 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 13 June 2009 - 06:10 pm

Hi Shane
What would be the postage to the UK. They sound good, but will be a while before the funds allow for me to buy one.

#45 Toraneko

Toraneko

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 08:11 am

QUOTE(norty @ Sun 14th Jun 2009, 04:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Shane
What would be the postage to the UK. They sound good, but will be a while before the funds allow for me to buy one.

as of August 2009, 45GBP due to the size & weight of the screen kit.

Edited by TDMtoraneko, 08 August 2009 - 02:02 am.

Airbox Mod ( JBX ), Krauser K-wing mount & Top Box, TDM Shield a.k.a TigerScreen Mk 2, HyperPro progressive rate fork springs, BeoWulf - Warrior exhausts,
Stebel Compact Nautilus Air-Horn with Eastern Beaver relay kit, Eastern Beaver PC-8 switched fusebox, Powerlet BMW style power socket
plus controller & heated gloves for the missus. Oxford v7 Heated Grips, V-Strom 650 HandGuards, Fenda extenda.

#46 Toraneko

Toraneko

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 02:24 am

Well Poldark & Bebop got in just in the nick of time with their screen orders. smile.gif

Price of making each screen has gone up by $25 au & postage has skyrocketed by $42 au to ship to UK. blink.gif mad.gif

new prices are Screen kit - $195 AU, ~ 97 GBP or ~ 113 EURO. plus shipping to UK which is around 45GBP or $53 EURO airfreight.

Considering the size of the article this is not as bad as it first appears when a pair of Oxford thermal pants ( much smaller & lighter ) can cost up to 50GBP to ship
to Tassie. ohmy.gif

Anyway, I hope Poldark & Bebop enjoy their screens when they arrive drinks.gif

Edited by TDMtoraneko, 30 July 2009 - 02:30 am.

#47 adibabi

adibabi

discovering Carpe

• 18 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 12 August 2009 - 07:50 pm

Hi Shane
I ordered one of the original ones from you some time ago but that obviously fell through. Just picked up on the fact that the new ones are now available yahoo.gif

Ill take one of the new ones. Have you still got my measurements or do you need me to do them again ?

I did try to pm you but it isn't working for some reason (Mods if you reading this any chance of sorting it out thanks) my e mail is ******* if we could make further corespondence via e mail then that would be great
look forward to hearing from you thanks.
TDM 900, OXFORD HEATED GRIPS, BMW R1150 GS HANDGUARDS, POWER COMMANDER, REMUS REVOLUTION CANS, AIRBOX MOD, SCOTT OILER, GIVI HARD LUGAGE, BRAIDED HOSES, CUSTOM SCREEN, GARMIN ZUMO 550 SAT NAV

#48 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 12 August 2009 - 08:14 pm

adibabi,

PMs will work now. I removed your email addy from yer post as spammers love to see them on forums loike this and then send you lots of spam. You wil be able to PM yer addy now.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#49 poldark

poldark

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 03:50 pm

QUOTE(TDMtoraneko @ Thu 30th Jul 2009, 03:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyway, I hope Poldark & Bebop enjoy their screens when they arrive drinks.gif

Well the short answer to that is "Yes I do very much - thanks!"

Screen arrived yesterday having had a small delay thanks to Parcelforce and HM Customs, due to the thorough packing it was intact and unharmed - who invented bubblewrap?

Before fitting -

After fitting -

Only snag I hit was due to the state of my well nuts the lower two bolts don't seem to be very well secured, so I've ordered up some long overdue replacement ones. The top two are sound and so I rather tentatively hit the M1 (2 mins from me) and gradually built up speed and ran at 70/80 for a few miles to check all OK.

Well all I can say is the difference is quite staggering.

As I also run a maxiscoot I am used to the supreme comfort of sitting behind acres of Givi screen and perhaps therefore am a bit sensitive to the continuous helmet buffeting and wind noise that the TDM has consistently delivered, whether with standard, touring or MRA screens. Well not any longer!

I intentionally rode without my normal ear plugs and also left my full-face visor open 3/4, as I would on the scoot, and sat there in comfort suffering no significant wind noise. It didn't impede my eyeline at all and I'm sure I'll have no issues in wet weather as I'm not looking through the screen. Assume it's because it's so far "out front" that it doesn't need to be so high to do that but still manages to deflect the airflow as needed. I also noticed I was being able to do lifesavers still in protected air because of the additional width of the Tigerscreen.

So I just need to stabilise a couple of the bolts with new well nuts, when they arrive, to then have the confidence to give it a longer and more thorough test. At that time I'll probably change out my "under screen" removing the touring + vario and putting the standard back on.

But I already know that it's cured my screen issues. rolleyes.gif
'03 silver TDM 900 with V-Strom handguards, GS1150 bar risers, givi box, baglux tank cover, PC III USB with K&N air filter, S/S rad guard, crash bungs, Tigerscreen, iridium plugs, braided front hoses, OEM centre stand, 15W fork oil & 10mm yoke drop, tutoro oiler & sheepskin seat cover! Gone but not forgotten!

#50 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:58 am

how badly does it affect the MPG ?

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#51 poldark

poldark

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 08:36 am

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Wed 19th Aug 2009, 08:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Too early to know, but I'm hopeful it won't be significant as the airflow isn't hitting a vertical barrier (like on my scoot), the angle is less and there's airflow under as well as above the screen.

I'm sure Shane who's been running the prototype for many months can comment with more direct experience.
'03 silver TDM 900 with V-Strom handguards, GS1150 bar risers, givi box, baglux tank cover, PC III USB with K&N air filter, S/S rad guard, crash bungs, Tigerscreen, iridium plugs, braided front hoses, OEM centre stand, 15W fork oil & 10mm yoke drop, tutoro oiler & sheepskin seat cover! Gone but not forgotten!

#52 Toraneko

Toraneko

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 11:28 pm

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Wed 19th Aug 2009, 05:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Short answer Tony is : my experience is that it more likely improves it. Ya see it's not about surface area so much as overall aerodynamics. wink.gif

Think about it, an irregular, odds & sods angled object ( i.e. rider, helmet,etc ) versus a smooth surface, that's shaped to fit in with the rest of the fairing & even
those add on handguards. ( look at the lines of Martyn's bikes in the front on photo ). cool.gif

In effect it sort of creates a bubble of relatively quite & stable air around both rider & pillion. Riding in heavy rain a few weeks back I noticed the rain drops running up the screen & then flowing off & above the top
my helmet. That's not to say you'll be waterproof as well because you still get hit with rain coming in above the top of the screen. However it does appear to confirm that the aerodynamics of my screen design
are sound. good.gif

With me, the missus & gear on-board ( approx 200kg ) the beasty gets 60mpg +. That's riding Tassie's twisty & often very steep roads at speeds around 110kph to 140kph.

combined with the comfort of the said " Tigerscreen" I'm a very happy vegamite. biggrin.gif

#53 Toraneko

Toraneko

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 11:59 pm

QUOTE(poldark @ Wed 19th Aug 2009, 01:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well the short answer to that is "Yes I do very much - thanks!"

Thanks for the great feedback Martyn. As always, any questions or issues I can help with let me know.

I may be biased, but I think your bike looks nice with it's new " Tigerscreen " tongue.gif smile.gif

#54 Bebop

Bebop

discovering Carpe

• 15 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 20 August 2009 - 06:28 pm

QUOTE(TDMtoraneko @ Thu 20th Aug 2009, 12:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the great feedback Martyn. As always, any questions or issues I can help with let me know.

I may be biased, but I think your bike looks nice with it's new " Tigerscreen " tongue.gif smile.gif

Shane

Thanks for the prompt responses & the screen - impressed with the style/quality of the screen - it certainly reduces the wind pressure!

Due to a imminent possible change on bike front due to work i.e. the TDM - I now have a mint - TDMtoraneko screen for sale!

If anyone is interested please PM me - screen hardly used - super condition - complete with all fittings & instructions - save yourself ££££££££££££'s!

I'm only asking £90 including postage.

Regards
Bebop

#55 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:01 pm

QUOTE(Bebop @ Thu 20th Aug 2009, 06:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Shane

Thanks for the prompt responses & the screen - impressed with the style/quality of the screen - it certainly reduces the wind pressure!

Due to a imminent possible change on bike front due to work i.e. the TDM - I now have a mint - TDMtoraneko screen for sale!

If anyone is interested please PM me - screen hardly used - super condition - complete with all fittings & instructions - save yourself ££££££££££££'s!

Regards
Bebop

Bebop - you have a PM re: the screen

Regards,
sidey

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#56 Bebop

Bebop

discovering Carpe

• 15 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:30 pm

QUOTE(sidestand @ Thu 20th Aug 2009, 08:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bebop - you have a PM re: the screen

Regards,
sidey

Dear all - screen is sold.

#57 Toraneko

Toraneko

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 03:11 am

QUOTE(Bebop @ Fri 21st Aug 2009, 04:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Shane

Regards
Bebop

hey Chris, no problemo mate! Good luck with future endeavours. drinks.gif

#58 DevoTDM

DevoTDM

really likes Carpe

• 85 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 11 September 2009 - 09:48 am

TDMtoraneko, you have a PM.

#59 norty

norty

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:51 am

QUOTE(DevoTDM @ Fri 11th Sep 2009, 10:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
TDMtoraneko, you have a PM.

Indeed you now have 2 PM's

#60 DeerStalker

DeerStalker

really likes Carpe

• 99 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 03:10 pm

Hi All newbie here, think I'll have to measure myself for one of these screens this weekend as they sound the dogs dangly bits....
2008 TDM900 (black) Givi 21's & topbox - Bagster/Baglux -heated grips - Zumo 550 - V Strom handguards - SW Motech mirror extenders and bar risers - R&G Bungs - Engine bars - Topsellerie seat - Tigerscreen oh and my other bikes are Harleys :)

Normally found loitering here www.therevcounter.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users