9 replies to this topic

#1 Latestarter

Latestarter

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 22 May 2018 - 09:58 pm

So after 6yrs of ownership I sold on my 900 last week, its was hard to part but someone local offered me a deal I just couldnt refuse and I had already made my mind up to sell.

So Ive done my homework and decided to replace it with a KTM 990 SMT, looked and rode quite a few examples and the prices ranged from £4-6k in value, anyway Ive put a deposit on this 2012 example and picking it up from the KTM dealer this Saturday.

Ill let you know how I get on with it but my initial feelings are its a great bike, on the negative side I joined the KTM forum (as you do), shocking really poorly ran forum and considering the number of members very little interaction and advice, so if you dont mind Ill keep dipping in on here chaps.

Edited by Latestarter, 22 May 2018 - 10:02 pm.

2003 TDM900 in Galaxy Blue with 32k on the clock

Scottolier, TDM Gel Saddle, Blue HEL Brake Line Upgrade Feeding Blue Spot Callipers. Air Intake Mod,

Oxford Heated Grips, Polisport Handguards, RM-G Crash bars & Centre Stand, Givi
Touring & Double Bubble Screens, Bar Risers, Renthal 755 Riser Bars,
Givi E22N Panniers & Top Box, Clear Indicator Lens Conversation, Clear LED Rear Light Conversion, Mirror Extenders, TDM Stainless Radiator Cover and Stainless Screen Screws, SP Performance Carbon Tri-Oval Cans,
HID Headlight Upgrade, DRL Spotlights and Still Spending But Dont Tell The Wife!!

#2 LAURENCEAUX

LAURENCEAUX

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 189 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 22 May 2018 - 11:10 pm

Good luck with the KTM and I hope it's all you want it to be. (I'd bet that you will still want to look at TDMs wherever you park up!)

#3 v8guy

v8guy

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 07:21 am

So after 6yrs of ownership I sold on my 900 last week, its was hard to part but someone local offered me a deal I just couldnt refuse and I had already made my mind up to sell.

So Ive done my homework and decided to replace it with a KTM 990 SMT, looked and rode quite a few examples and the prices ranged from £4-6k in value, anyway Ive put a deposit on this 2012 example and picking it up from the KTM dealer this Saturday.

Ill let you know how I get on with it but my initial feelings are its a great bike, on the negative side I joined the KTM forum (as you do), shocking really poorly ran forum and considering the number of members very little interaction and advice, so if you dont mind Ill keep dipping in on here chaps.

I did 12 years on my 900 before finally replacing it. I too was drawn to the KTM SMT, after hiring a 990 Adventure in Colorado and riding it into the Rockies for a weekend.. such a fine bike! :good:

In the end bought a Honda VFR800X instead, and haven't regretted it for a moment.. Despite its relative weight it's a fabulous ride, and probably beats the KTM on the practicality front. The owners forum ain't a patch on this one either... :punishment:

I couldn't bring myself to sell the TDM tho.. there's something about them! So I rode it to my wife's family house in Italy and left it there... last night, after over 18 months of effort, I received the happy news that it's finally been accepted and registered as an Italian bike, so I can finally ride it again!! :good: :badgerrock: :drinks: :D

v8guy; 2003 TDM900 with added bling: Nitron shock, Racetech fork internals, 17" front wheel, K&N filter, Fuel silencers, PC3, Renthal handle bar, Oxford hot hands, Polisport handguards, Scottoiler (kinda..), Baglux, Givi monorack + pannier rails
My TDM: http://www.gtv8.org/tdm/

Current: 2003 Yamaha TDM900, 2015 BMW R1200RS
Past: Honda CLR125, Honda CB500, Triumph Sprint Sport, Honda VFR750FS, Suzuki DRZ400SM, Triumph Speed Triple 955i, 2015 Honda VFR800X

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube" - HST

#4 TDM4ever

TDM4ever

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:01 am

Compared to your 9'er, that KTM is one ugly bike. But, good luck with it  :)

#5 Kelpie

Kelpie

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 23 May 2018 - 06:54 pm

I think its a grand bike. Good luck with it. I hope youll still come out for a spin with us too.
You don't need balls to ride a big bike.

#6 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• 1,176 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:11 pm

I think the KTM's a cracking looking bike, makes the TDM look dated :dunno:

good look mate

#7 Latestarter

Latestarter

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 09:10 pm

Really looking forward to picking up the KTM at the weekend, as for looks I think it’s looks great and rides better. Maybe that’s why I like it as the TDM is a ‘Marmite’ bike with a strong following.

@Kelpie most definitely we will go out, as I won’t be leaving the forum as I’ve got too many good friends in here.

2003 TDM900 in Galaxy Blue with 32k on the clock

Scottolier, TDM Gel Saddle, Blue HEL Brake Line Upgrade Feeding Blue Spot Callipers. Air Intake Mod,

Oxford Heated Grips, Polisport Handguards, RM-G Crash bars & Centre Stand, Givi
Touring & Double Bubble Screens, Bar Risers, Renthal 755 Riser Bars,
Givi E22N Panniers & Top Box, Clear Indicator Lens Conversation, Clear LED Rear Light Conversion, Mirror Extenders, TDM Stainless Radiator Cover and Stainless Screen Screws, SP Performance Carbon Tri-Oval Cans,
HID Headlight Upgrade, DRL Spotlights and Still Spending But Dont Tell The Wife!!

#8 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,508 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 23 May 2018 - 09:43 pm

Good luck with your new bike. Let us know how you get on with it.
1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#9 mh1848

mh1848

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 24 May 2018 - 03:41 pm

My mate has the 1050 and loves it - not too many for sale (which suggest they may be a 'keeper' for some) and seem to hold their value

TDM 1991 - two into one micron mated with a A16 Road and Race Supplies Stainless short can - Conti Road Attacks - Kagazume Wavy Rear Disc - Bagster tank cover - homemade sheepskin seat cover on top of custom seat cover - NonFango topbox on homemade mount - custom fusebox - very loud airhorn and cyclone alarm

#10 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 25 May 2018 - 10:37 am

I think the KTM's a cracking looking bike, makes the TDM look dated :dunno:

good look mate

agreed.  would like to try a KTM at some point,  i reckon the running costs are quite different though.  However oil no be selling me TDM's.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users