Service On A 9er

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_celticbiker_*

Guest_celticbiker_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:50 pm

Having recently done a service on the bike, I thought I would put it together with some pictures, so here goes.

Oil change-:

Take bike out for a 30 minute ride to get the oil nice and hot and any debris well suspended in it, you can just warm it in the workshop but I find a ride better (and more fun) .
After allowing bike to cool for 10-15 minutes remove the dipstick and put to one side, then remove drain bolt on left side of engine and drain the small sump, you will only get about 200 ml from here.

When empty replace and torque drain bolt ( 35Nm) and clean exhaust, .

Then remove drain bolt from the left hand side of bike just behind the filter housing.

This will drain the oil tank, so you will get about 3.5 litres from here. When empty do not replace the drain bolt yet.
Next, remove the 5 allen bolts from the filter housing, starting at the front and working back.
Then remove housing (1) and filter element (2) (this contains about 100ml of oil and it will go everywhere)
Be sure to retain the little tube and O ring from the front.

After cleaning and drying filter housing (petrol or paraffin is good) put new O ring (3) and filter (2) in place (tube on the filter element goes into the hole in the bottom of the housing)

Now place small tube and O ring from earlier into the hole at the front of the housing.
Wipe mounting faces on engine with lint free cloth and replace housing assembly, tightening the 2 centre bolts first then the rear one then the 2 front ones (torque to 10Nm).
Now wipe mounting face for drain bolt and replace and torque (30Nm).
Fill oil tank with 3L of oil to start with, replace dipstick and start engine, rev engine 4 or 5 times and then switch off.
Now top up to specified level (should take another 900ml).
Loosen oil gallery bolt on left hand side of engine

And start engine, allow to idle, and check that oil seeps from gallery bolt. If all is OK then retighten gallery bolt (10Nm).
If no oil appears after 1 minute, stop engine and check filter is correct and there is nothing blocking the oil way in the filter housing.

Plug replacement-:

Now this one is a little tricky and the photos didn’t come out too good either but I’ll do my best.

First remove side panels.
Undo the 3 screws on the side

And the two on the top

Make a note of which come from where. Then remove the one on the inside by the fork leg

Now look underneath the side panel and you will see a plastic plug holding it to a bracket, this needs to be pushed out from the inside (don’t lose the centre pin).
The side panel will now slide back about 10mm and lift up to about 30 degrees

Allowing you to remove the tang from the slot.

Next, remove the bolts holding the radiator to the brackets and remove the brackets from the frame.
Also remove hoses from radiator (as marked) and secure vertically (or the coolant will siphon out of the expansion tank)

Right side

And left side

And top ( 2 off)

Now you can get to the plug caps to remove them.
The radiator will also move forward just enough to get the plug spanner behind it and down the hole onto the plug (make sure the rubber insert is in the plug spanner as you need this to grip the plug to lift it out of the hole)

Yours will move a bit further than mine as you can see my engine bars are in the way.
When plugs are changed, replace plug caps, brackets and radiator.
While everything is off, if you need to change the coolant, now would be a good time.

Coolant change-:

I didn’t do this job at the time so I just lifted this straight from the workshop manual.

Air filter-:

I only change the plugs every 24,000 miles because (a) they’re a pain in the arse and (b) they don’t really need to be done any more frequently, so while I’ve got the side panels off I change the air filter (or if it’s a K&N, clean it) too because it’s only a 10 minute job.

First remove seat, and then undo and remove the two small infill panels

Then remove the bolts securing the tank (one either side)

Then lift and secure tank in upright position (I use a bungee or similar)

Remove vacuum hose (and block with something if you wish to do the air box mod at the same time)
And undo the 8 screws securing the lid.

Remove lid

Then filter element

Check for and remove any excessive oil (a small amount is normal as this is where the oil tank breather goes to)

Insert new Filter element, replace lid and screws and vacuum hose
When replacing tank, be sure that the drain and vacuum pipes coming off the bottom of the tank don’t get trapped or kinked, and remember to pull them through the guide loop next to the side stand pivot so that a fuel overflow doesn’t drain onto the hot exhaust.

We are almost done.
Put everything back together and ride the bike to get it up to operating temperature, then adjust idle speed if required.
With this done we can then synchronize the throttle bodies.
Except I forgot to take pictures so I will write this up another time.

Edited by celticbiker, 23 January 2009 - 10:52 pm.

#2 divvxj

divvxj

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 24 January 2009 - 08:38 am

excellent pictures good.gif and description good.gif as i will be doing this in a couple of weeks and i didnt realise that there were two drain bolts , drinks.gif

#3 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 24 January 2009 - 10:17 am

Nice wan CB, alot of work has gone into that so thanks for sharin. Should probably be put in knowledgebase once peeps have had a chance to comment if thats ok wid you?

The only tiny difference i do on oil change is to entirely remove gallery bolt until claggy oil runs clear. Probably makes
No difference but very satisfying.

I might write a mk1 plug removal guide. Get spanner, remove plug.

Thanks again CB.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#4 Guest_Matt_G_*

Guest_Matt_G_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2009 - 10:27 am

Great write up, will be very useful. Thanks for taking the time to do it.

#5 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 24 January 2009 - 11:18 am

Yes, that will come in very useful when I take possession of me niner in a week or so good.gif
Thanks very much for taking the time & effort CB

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#6 aircooled68

aircooled68

RTT11 Wales manager

• 1,581 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 24 January 2009 - 01:36 pm

Nice Write up good.gif

202323336-M.jpgpost-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#7 Nig

Nig

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 217 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 24 January 2009 - 02:36 pm

Good bit of script there - i did,nt know about the gallery bolt for the oil so will check it out on next service.

I would also be interested in synchro of throttle bodies as i have no idea how to do this as well.

(well i never said i was a mechnacnic)

Nig

Aluminium Welding with Parkinson,s

#8 Guest_celticbiker_*

Guest_celticbiker_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2009 - 03:12 pm

Thanx for the support peeps, as you can see from the date on the pics I did this a while ago and wrote it up on my PC but have only just got around to posting it.

QUOTE(dapleb @ Sat 24th Jan 2009, 10:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice wan CB, alot of work has gone into that so thanks for sharin. Should probably be put in knowledgebase once peeps have had a chance to comment if thats ok wid you? Thats fine so long as I can amend it later for throttle body synch.

The only tiny difference i do on oil change is to entirely remove gallery bolt until claggy oil runs clear. Probably makes
No difference but very satisfying.

I might write a mk1 plug removal guide. Get spanner, remove plug.

Thanks again CB.

QUOTE(Nig @ Sat 24th Jan 2009, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good bit of script there - i did,nt know about the gallery bolt for the oil so will check it out on next service.

I would also be interested in synchro of throttle bodies as i have no idea how to do this as well.

(well i never said i was a mechnacnic)

Nig

Nig, some one else did a bit on this recently, I will update when I do it but for now I'll see if I can find the topic for you.

Edit-: Had a look Nig but can't find it right now

Edited by celticbiker, 24 January 2009 - 03:37 pm.

#9 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 24 January 2009 - 03:12 pm

QUOTE(dapleb @ Sat 24th Jan 2009, 05:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Should probably be put in knowledgebase
once peeps have had a chance to comment if thats ok wid you?

Agreed. (Good one CB). good.gif
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#10 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 24 January 2009 - 06:41 pm

Sure we can add TB sync or put it in a seperate article.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#11 Guest_celticbiker_*

Guest_celticbiker_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2009 - 06:47 pm

K

#12 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 24 January 2009 - 08:18 pm

QUOTE(celticbiker @ Sat 24th Jan 2009, 01:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
K

ohmy.gif
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#13 Fiasco

Fiasco

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 158 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 24 January 2009 - 11:07 pm

Brilliant info, thanks CB drinks.gif

I didn't know about the gallery plug either, and it transpires that my fasteners by the fork legs are missing, are they the plastic pop rivets like on the underneath bracket of the left fairing, or screws like the outer fairing ones ?

Thanks again

Dave

Edited by Fiasco, 24 January 2009 - 11:08 pm.

The early bird catches the worm, but the second mouse to the trap gets the cheese !

#14 Guest_celticbiker_*

Guest_celticbiker_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2009 - 11:33 pm

They're actually large diameter self tappers/wood screws, about 5 or 6mm IIRC and they should screw into those metal clip type things.
One of mine was missing too, I think they forget to put them back in after a service.
are they the plastic pop rivets like on the underneath bracket of the left fairing

There should be one on the RH panel too.

Edited by celticbiker, 24 January 2009 - 11:35 pm.

#15 GrahamI

GrahamI

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 05:55 pm

Great write up CB, nice to have pics as well as the words, makes it a lot easier for first timers smile.gif

Just a small point, when I remove the panels etc I find putting the screws back in to their holes makes it easier to remember which goes where, and you avoid tipping them all over the floor!

Graham

Blue 2003 900 on 04 plate, Kappa Wingrack and side cases, Givi Maxia top box, Renthal 755 bars, Oxford heated grips, KTM handguards, centre stand, fender extender, Scottoiler Touring, 12volt socket

#16 TDMTAM

TDMTAM

Carpe Citizen

• 4,205 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 03 February 2009 - 05:59 pm

QUOTE(celticbiker @ Fri 23rd Jan 2009, 10:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wonder why the 2 inlet stacks are of different length??????

TAM
2008 TDM 900 in BLACK, MRA Vario, DL handguards & more to come
1994 TDM 850 mkI Silver, with Blueflame end can, Gone to a new owner & I kinda miss her!

th_09062006104.jpg th_02012009095.jpg

Only a Biker knows why a Dog sticks it head out the car window

#17 Guest_celticbiker_*

Guest_celticbiker_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:29 pm

Almost all modern bikes are like this.
IIRC it's to do with airflow within the box and making sure that each cylinder gets enough air.
The reason an air box is used is to create a plenum chamber because an engine will always run better pulling on still air than on moving air(like the one filter one per carb set up) so in this case the RH one sucks at top right where the air comes in leaving most of the LH side alone, when the LH side sucks there is relatively still air for it to pull into the cylinder.

Make sense?

Edited by celticbiker, 03 February 2009 - 06:32 pm.

#18 GIBBO

GIBBO

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:16 pm

Thank you very much for this write up, it's the kind of thing I need when spannering, but may I add the following? "I only change the plugs every 24,000 miles because (a) they’re a pain in the arse" rotflmmfao.gif rotflmmfao.gif rotflmmfao.gif That is an understatement.
  1. find plug spanner in tool box.
  2. realise it's an 1/2 drive socket and not 3/8 like the rest of the socket set
  3. set off to local auto bit shop for correct sized plug spanner.
  4. return home
  5. insert 3/8 extension bar into new 3/8 plug spanner
  6. swear loudly, profusly ranting.gif ranting.gif when seeing the bar is too long to allow said plug spanner to go into hole where spark plug located.
  7. return to local auto shop, buy umpteen different bits of sockets and extensions
  8. return home work out which bit goes with what
  9. remove plug's to find the are a o.k. blush.gif ranting.gif

Edited by GIBBO, 03 February 2009 - 08:34 pm.

My body is a temple, that's why my shoes are on the outside.....

#19 GrahamI

GrahamI

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:23 pm

QUOTE(GIBBO @ Tue 3rd Feb 2009, 08:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"I only change the plugs every 24,000 miles because (a) they’re a pain in the arse" rotflmmfao.gif rotflmmfao.gif rotflmmfao.gif That is an understatement, May I add the following,
  1. find plug spanner in tool box.
  2. realise it's an 1/2 drive socket and not 3/8 like the rest of the socket set
  3. set off to local auto bit shop for correct sized plug spanner.
  4. return home
  5. insert 3/8 extension bar into new 3/8 plug spanner
  6. swear loudly, profusly ranting.gif ranting.gif when seeing the bar is too long to allow said plug spanner to go into hole where spark plug located.
  7. return to local auto shop, buy umpteen different bits of sockets and extensions
  8. return home work out which bit goes with what
  9. remove plug's to find the are a o.k. blush.gif ranting.gif

So which bits were needed? Not taken the plugs out yet

Graham

Blue 2003 900 on 04 plate, Kappa Wingrack and side cases, Givi Maxia top box, Renthal 755 bars, Oxford heated grips, KTM handguards, centre stand, fender extender, Scottoiler Touring, 12volt socket

#20 GIBBO

GIBBO

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:32 pm

QUOTE(GrahamI @ Tue 3rd Feb 2009, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So which bits were needed? Not taken the plugs out yet

I ended up using a 3" extension bar on the plug socket
My body is a temple, that's why my shoes are on the outside.....

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users