25 replies to this topic

#1 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,257 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 18 October 2014 - 11:31 am

At my age you think ahead a bit, so please read on.

Carpe membership has grown commendably large over the years, retaining some of the increasingly old brigade and gaining many shiny youthful newcomers (newcomerth? :P ), resulting in one of the best social and technical sites around, with a mass of useful information on a bike that was ahead of its time.

Times and people change and move on: in this open-minded forum, even people who no longer own TDM's are rightly still welcome, along the lines of our German counterpart "TDM Friends" . But this moves the pitch slowly away from the original, and now there is the prospect of a new Yamaha model which will draw increasing attention, and invites a timely discussion about the future aim and management of what started out as "Carpe-TDM".  Several topics come to mind, e.g.

Should we steal a march and publicly broaden the byline to "TDM and successors" (including new model numbers as they become known)?

Should we archive the present Carpe?

What happens to old Web sites anyway?

Should talk to our German, French and other friends to coordinate actions?

What do admin and rank & file think?

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#2 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 18 October 2014 - 12:17 pm

Not wishing to crash your thread but maybe this question is relevant, how many members have moved to different bikes and still post here?

I had a brief spell away from a 900 but soon got another.

"What happens to old Web sites anyway?"

Good question.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#3 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 18 October 2014 - 12:40 pm

We could always amalgamate with the GS site  :good:

What say you, Ivan ??   :hide:

Anyway, on a serious note, I reckon there's plenty of life left in Carpe yet - and although lots of people have got other bikes - the TDM is rapidly becoming a modern classic

(well the proper 850 ones, anyway  :P  )  So the technical section is likely to become livelier ……already is a lot more than 5 years ago.

And some of the more cliquey older sub-groups have already split off & are doing their own thing anyway - so let's live up to the name & leave things a they are - 

CARPE DIEM !   :good:

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#4 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 12:56 pm

Not wishing to crash your thread.....

No probs. Not wanting to seem negative either. Just thinking aloud

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#5 trevini

trevini

has been here 4ever

• 1,770 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 18 October 2014 - 12:58 pm

If it ain't broke....

It has evolved though.  I've been hanging around since just before I got my niner in 2005 and it's still one of the best clubs/forums out there.  There have a been a few members come and go since then, but on the whole it's been pretty damn good.  I've met some great people, had some great biker holidays and rideouts and even ended up playing in a band again!  One thing I've never noticed though, is being cliquey.  Not like some other fora that I've experienced. 

2004 Galaxy Blue. Owned since 486 miles.Renthal 755 bars, Bagster tank cover, Oxford heated grips, DL650 hand guards, Double Bubble screen, Scorpion Rad guard, Gel pad insert, HLD undertray, Angry Badger tailtidy,  Michelin Road 5s, Givi E21s, E46 topbox, Ohlins shock and YSS cartridge emulators   Currently not fitted - PC3, Remus Revolutions.

LCErj.jpg

Putting up with the "niner" jokes since 2005
Check out http://www.hotcoldground.co.uk we're really rather good!
Like food? I feed people -  SmokinGrillGuy <p>

#6 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 01:01 pm

.....let's live up to the name & leave things as they are .......

Fair do's for now

#7 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 18 October 2014 - 02:48 pm

You get peaks and lulls here and it sometimes seems the lulls get longer. Maybe that's because, as you say, the TDM is long in the tooth, but then so are most of us stalwarts. I think there's a core membership that continues to post and keep things ticking over. For practical and technical purposes, I've not seen a better forum than this and there's all the advice and help we need to keep our bikes on the road. As for the changing things, I'm not so sure that it's a good idea to be putting into some people's heads :hide:  

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#8 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 18 October 2014 - 04:16 pm

Old site here :)  http://www.carpe-tdm...forum/index.php

Speaking as an admin bod, and despite what some peeps might think, I put a lot of my free time and effort into saving the site and securing it's future. I did this because Dappers blackmailed me into I wanted to help Dappers keep the site running and also as a payback to the site for all the help, friendship and experiences I've had whilst being a member.  It also seemed such a shame that the effort of peeps like Guinness, Dappers & TonyD to get the original site running and to maintain this one, might have all been in vain.  So, as an admin bod, I want to see the site continue as it currently does.  Even if it does mean enduring more moments of hair pulling and banging my head on a wall when technology does a woopsy !

Speaking personally, I think the evolution of technology and the emergence of Twitter and FB have had the biggest impact on the site, I also think we're not alone.  There are many other sites that have seen their members flocking to use FB etc using their mobile phones, pads and tabs, that's the way it is today. That said, even though others have moved on, they still hang out with the same friends that they met through Carpe, so why change a good thing !

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#9 RogerD

RogerD

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 241 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 18 October 2014 - 05:23 pm

As a relative "Newby" I have to agree with some of the points, especially that this forum is a good one, both for knowledge (probably the best I have seen) and also the camaraderie that is clearly around.

The future is always a tough call when you have something like this forum, and for sure new bikes will come, and if appropriate, the owners will migrate to the appropriate site.

There are thousands of TDM's on the road "or in for a facial" so there should continue to be folks meeting here to exchange views, knowledge and of course ....CAKES    :cake eating:

My 2 cents.....embrace any new closely related bikes and their owners if they come, but focus on the breed.

Roger

2004 Silver TDM 900, Scorpion cans, MRA screen, Heated Grips, Piramid Fender Extenda. Mitchelin PR3's, Oxford Soft luggage.  Now living with Sidestand

2015 BMW R1200GS , in Frost Blue, Adventure screen, cruise control, quickshifter, heated grips, ESA , BM panniers but Givi topbox.                                                          

#10 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 18 October 2014 - 05:42 pm

Lets not change a thing about Carpe, it's fine just as it is....feels just like me favourite slippers.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#11 Wildbill

Wildbill

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 05:42 pm

As stated by others; there is already one closed and locked archive......although  there must also have been information that is no longer available that was not archived as the very early years from site inception does not appear to have been saved.

Adding further models to Carpe is already catered for in the Hyde Park Inn section.(other boikes)

I think all forums seem to be fading slightly at present. It is more apparent with those catering for no longer produced older models as owners move on to new things.

And now for the torrent;

"Speaking personally, I think the evolution of technology and the emergence of Twitter and FB have had the biggest impact on the site, I also think we're not alone. There are many other sites that have seen their members flocking to use FB etc using their mobile phones, pads and tabs, that's the way it is today."

This was brought up on a few other forums, here's my take.

Please note it is not aimed at one specific group but an overview of all.

I joined Farcebook and Twatter to view the content first hand.

It's like the school yard... look here's a pic of my bike.......... Wow........  And ?

No  correct technical advice...... guesswork or total rubbish aplenty.

Sales ........ half a page devoted to which continent the seller eventually gets round to informing the reader he is on.

Predictive texting and text speak make the subject matter either unreadable or nonsensical.Or the contributor is more likely a simpleton or the byproduct of one  crossed with an idiot!

The info volunteered  is 90% inaccurate or irrelevant to the subject or question.

Hopefully the forum has the ability to endure whilst the  social media based attempts eventually wither and die.

Edited by Wildbill, 18 October 2014 - 06:41 pm.

Don't come preaching to me;you'll get chased down the road wiff a pitchfork.

#12 trevini

trevini

has been here 4ever

• 1,770 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 18 October 2014 - 05:58 pm

One of the other owners forums I partake in has just arranged for a batch of parts to be manufactured for the benefit of it's members. For the 87 people that have opted for the parts, the saving over new (almost obsolete) parts is in excess of £65k collectively.  It's been such a huge success that the same approach is going to be used for other components. You wouldn't get that on Twitface. All it takes is a bunch of like minded people and a little work to achieve some fantastic benefits.

I should also say well done to Studders and Dappers.  you two guys are not praised often enough for the effort you put in to keeping things going.

2004 Galaxy Blue. Owned since 486 miles.Renthal 755 bars, Bagster tank cover, Oxford heated grips, DL650 hand guards, Double Bubble screen, Scorpion Rad guard, Gel pad insert, HLD undertray, Angry Badger tailtidy,  Michelin Road 5s, Givi E21s, E46 topbox, Ohlins shock and YSS cartridge emulators   Currently not fitted - PC3, Remus Revolutions.

LCErj.jpg

Putting up with the "niner" jokes since 2005
Check out http://www.hotcoldground.co.uk we're really rather good!
Like food? I feed people -  SmokinGrillGuy <p>

#13 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 06:13 pm

One of the other owners forums I partake in has just arranged for a batch of parts to be manufactured for the benefit of it's members. For the 87 people that have opted for the parts, the saving over new (almost obsolete) parts is in excess of £65k collectively.  It's been such a huge success that the same approach is going to be used for other components.

the batch buy idea sounds really good. I was thinking about something similar when I found a Chinese company that manufactured carbon fibre body work. A bushcraft forum I'm in arranges 'group buys' to get the bulk discount on items.

http://uk.alibaba.co...dash-panel.html

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

#14 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 06:29 pm

I should also say well done to Studders and Dappers.  you two guys are not praised often enough for the effort you put in to keeping things going.

I agree - it's through their efforts, and not forgetting Guinness and others going back a long way, that we have a site to be proud of. My point was about how best to continue. Another site I joined has so splintered through Facebook, Twitter and the like (WHY, for pity's sake??) that the main forum is a ghost town.

#15 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 18 October 2014 - 08:16 pm

Keep it the same, Studley and dappers have been great admins. I've met loads of folks on here and I can't get me head round FB even though I'm a member of the alternative group on there.

One thing that is good here is the format of the site, separating out the technical from the non technical. FB includes too much non relevant stuff. 

It is much better than the ST1300 forum which I'm a member of, due to younger brov' not being too happy about taking his Pan apart.

Leave it as it is I say.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#16 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• 3,830 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 18 October 2014 - 11:59 pm

Keep it the same, Studley and dappers have been great admins. I've met loads of folks on here and I can't get me head round FB even though I'm a member of the alternative group on there.

One thing that is good here is the format of the site, separating out the technical from the non technical. FB includes too much non relevant stuff. 

It is much better than the ST1300 forum which I'm a member of, due to younger brov' not being too happy about taking his Pan apart.

Leave it as it is I say.

Well said Lee.

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
Who dies with the most toys wins!

2010 'stealth' grey 900. '14 plate. engine bars, Centre stand, datatool alarm, datatag, E22s, Cree DRLs, Barkbuster handguards, Carpe sticker. Led running lights

#17 TYREDNGRUMPEE

TYREDNGRUMPEE

has been here 4ever

• 1,627 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 19 October 2014 - 07:20 am

The group will change/develop. I don't think these motorcycles will.

Anything following the Mk1, Mk2/a and 900 will not have the same roots.

The industry has come a long way since pink wheels and I think the "old/new faces" debate was discussed along with the logo revamp.

rht6hy65.jpg

We should be comfortable with the ever changing state of affairs.

#18 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area

Posted 19 October 2014 - 07:43 am

Evolution is the word everyone is looking for, its been happening for millions of years, think of the first bloke that had the idea of putting an engine in a bicycle frame, they all have one thing in common two wheels separated by a power unit and some times the physics of a spinning wheel does not work in your favour, this forum will continue to evolve like it already has ..... GREAT. :good:

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#19 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 09:49 am

I agree - it's through their efforts, and not forgetting Guinness and others going back a long way, that we have a site to be proud of. My point was about how best to continue. Another site I joined has so splintered through Facebook, Twitter and the like (WHY, for pity's sake??) that the main forum is a ghost town.

Admin are greatly appreciated and I've seen no sign that they're not. That don't mean to say that members are going to agree with their every decision though. That's just life. If the workload is too much then I'd hope they'll say so and ask for volunteers to share the load.

I reluctantly tried Facebook one more time last year, after meeting a bunch of people for a reunion. Never again. It's great, if you want to know that cat owners send 'purrs' to each other and other strange goings on, I don't really.

#20 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 10:17 am

OK guys, put it down to a brain fart in an old guy with kids and the world spinning too fast, eh?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users