#1 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:29 pm

trying to diagnose a non firing cylinder in a 2005 BMW1200 I thought I'd start with the plugs... Hmm something's not quite right here

DSC01282odear_zps8c84b47b.jpg

Take right side exhaust pipe off for a peer up the port.

er that exhaust valve shouldn't be open all the time should it ?

DSC01649exhaustport_zps123bb75b.jpg

Advise owner it needs to see a BMW doctor right way. (I politely declined the job :unsure2: )

here is what went wrong, the exhaust valve got intimate with the piston. Cam chain was still in one piece so something gave up. Cost to fix this was eye watering.

DSC01664veryconcerned_zps1f1c149d.jpg

Edited by leehenty, 20 October 2014 - 09:37 pm.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#2 RogerD

RogerD

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 241 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:34 pm

Ewww...not nice!

I tremble to think of the bill.........

Roger

2004 Silver TDM 900, Scorpion cans, MRA screen, Heated Grips, Piramid Fender Extenda. Mitchelin PR3's, Oxford Soft luggage.  Now living with Sidestand

2015 BMW R1200GS , in Frost Blue, Adventure screen, cruise control, quickshifter, heated grips, ESA , BM panniers but Givi topbox.                                                          

#3 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:34 pm

Wow, horrific. A BMW is not on my wish list.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#4 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:43 pm

I'm informed the quote was in excess of £1600, the holey bits out of the piston went and did something else nasty to the engine and it currently resides in a shed awaiting funds. Miles was 54,000. Cause was something to do with weak mixture, the BMW doc said.

Scrap it  and use the £1600 plus a few extra squids to get a Niner which would last longer and be much more reliable.

Edited by leehenty, 20 October 2014 - 09:52 pm.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#5 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 05:56 am

Seen this on cars and a bike. YZF R125. :unsure2:

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#6 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:53 am

If they sold all the touretech bits off it then they could buy a much newer 9r  :)

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#7 DaveM

DaveM

just half a litre to go

• 825 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:39 am

Cue Ivan?

#8 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:26 pm

On the plus side presumably it's a lot easier to get the head off on a R series BMW than it is on a 900.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#9 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 05:00 pm

no rad or stuff to get in the way, very easy to work on just plan for being there er working on it for quite a while.

The barrels come straight off too and fairly simple to fix, just the bits cost a bit. BMW like torx screws a lot.

Edited by leehenty, 21 October 2014 - 05:02 pm.

#10 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 05:38 pm

BMW like torx screws a lot.

They like them on their cars too, they go wrong aswell.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#11 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 21 October 2014 - 07:55 pm

Not a pretty sight!

Got agree about the BMW Torx fetish. I bought some good quality Torx sockets and spanners after which they were less of a problem but there was nowhere where a normal hex head or Allen fitting wouldn't have done the job.

Pass on to your pal that if he looks to Motorworks in Yorkshire he'll be able to rebuild the whole motor for less than £1600.

If the same thing happened to a TDM 900 (e.g. dropped valve, piston damage getting into the engine, clutch and gearbox (the last two not a problem for your friend), how much would it cost to fix?

Question. Is there a 'go to' place for TDM bits? I've used Granby's in the past but I just wondered if there was somewhere like Dave Silver for Honda or Motorworks for BMW?

Edited by James, 21 October 2014 - 08:00 pm.

84 Honda XL600R  :)

04 TDM900  :good:

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#12 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:12 pm

No James, we in the uk tend to use a main dealer like Damerells, or online site AJSutton.  Wemoto, yambits and Kedo.de also stock TDM parts.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#13 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 21 October 2014 - 10:10 pm

No James, we in the uk tend to use a main dealer like Damerells, or online site AJSutton.  Wemoto, yambits and Kedo.de also stock TDM parts.

Many thanks.

Just checked out Suttons genuine spares. Bloomin' eck! Yamaha really are taking the micky! £39 for a thermostat, £3.71 for a 20amp fuse! I bet they don't sell many of those ;). Fortunately I don't need anything right now, I just thought I'd get my 'soldiers in a row' for when something does go wrong. Hopefully nothing will :)

Edited by James, 21 October 2014 - 10:28 pm.

84 Honda XL600R  :)

04 TDM900  :good:

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#14 Sidarta

Sidarta

just half a litre to go

• 845 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 22 October 2014 - 01:10 am

Hi leehenty!

It seems that lacked feed / alfalfa and horses fought each other! :punishment:

Yesterday I watched a documentary on TV what was happening within the assembly line of the BMW plant. At a certain moment a technician speaks loudly: our engines are manufactured to withstand 300.000 km. Are more and more tests and used the best materials, technology and precision. Our factories are the most modern and etc.
Lee, unfortunately you have on hand an engine that was with 301.000km. You have been awarded.
Technology indisputable but BM ....... not my beach. :P

Cheers!

Att
Sidarta 

TDM850 ano 2001
 Honda XLX 250 1988 
Honda Tornado 2005 - Honda CB400 1982 
Honda CB350 1972 e 1973

#15 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:33 pm

Hi leehenty!

It seems that lacked feed / alfalfa and horses fought each other! :punishment:

I am a Gold Award Dengie Feed Advisor if you need any advoice Sid.

"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#16 Sidarta

Sidarta

just half a litre to go

• 845 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 22 October 2014 - 06:14 pm

I am a Gold Award Dengie Feed Advisor if you need any advoice Sid.

Hi dapleb!

Please help me! I do not think translation for some words in your sentence.
So I can not understand what you said. :sorry:  

Thank you.

Att
Sidarta 

TDM850 ano 2001
 Honda XLX 250 1988 
Honda Tornado 2005 - Honda CB400 1982 
Honda CB350 1972 e 1973

#17 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:15 pm

I'm informed the quote was in excess of £1600, the holey bits out of the piston went and did something else nasty to the engine and it currently resides in a shed awaiting funds. Miles was 54,000. Cause was something to do with weak mixture, the BMW doc said.

Scrap it  and use the £1600 plus a few extra squids to get a Niner which would last longer and be much more reliable.

Lee, 

If your mate wants it fixing for a lot less, I know a very good independent BMW mechanic over towards Leicester.

All us BMW owners in the East Midlands use him & a lot & he also does work for main dealers

He's also got a nice big van & will collect & deliver

Let me know & I'll send details  :good:

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#18 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:44 pm

Seen this on cars and a bike. YZF R125. :unsure2:

I find the "weak mixture" explanation a bit suspect. But piston/valve interface situations are not as rare as you might think, I know of at least one TDM900 this has happened to  :hide: . And £1600 isn't unreasonable in this day & age for a rebuild of a big bike engine at a main dealers.  If bits of piston got in any modern bike's inner workings, at any revs, you'd be looking at a bill in four figures. Have you ever seen what Yamaha charge for a full gasket set, before you add new valves, piston, crank regrind and a large dollop of labour. And don't forget 20% VaT :shocked: .

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#19 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 23 October 2014 - 01:13 pm

Hi dapleb!

Please help me! I do not think translation for some words in your sentence.
So I can not understand what you said. :sorry:  
Thank you.

Don't worry, I supposedly have the same native language as him I don't understand what he said either. :D

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#20 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 23 October 2014 - 03:30 pm

:lol:

Google is your equine friend Sid :)  http://www.dengie.co...roduct-advisor/

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users