- - - - -

Motorcycle safety in the UK

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

Poll: Advance training (285 member(s) have cast votes)

Is advance training of any use?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Guest_Emmett_*

Guest_Emmett_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2006 - 10:34 pm

The US topic seemed to be a bit side-tracked, I'm in the process of training for the RoSPA test, anyone else done this test, any advice?

Also any advice on the merits or flaws of the other advance tests.

Has anyone got a decent insurance discount because of these tests?

#2 Dave in Thailand

Dave in Thailand

Carpe fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 182 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 24 March 2006 - 03:32 am

My motorcycling life only really started properly when I joined an advanced club and did the IAM test. I started riding much faster and got much more out of bikes generally. That was in '92, I'd been riding since '84. The Wirral advanced group, at that time, was full of CBR6s, GSXRs and then Fireblades. Very few BOF bikes at all. Haven't seen them in ten years so it might have changed. I did get cheaper insurance at one time.

#3 stu

stu

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 24 March 2006 - 04:26 pm

QUOTE(Emmett @ Thu 23rd Mar 2006, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The US topic seemed to be a bit side-tracked, I'm in the process of training for the RoSPA test, anyone else done this test, any advice?

Also any advice on the merits or flaws of the other advance tests.

Has anyone got a decent insurance discount because of these tests?

Yes, it's mostly in your head - get that straight and you are more than halfway there.

RoSPA and IAM are (as you prolly know) based on Roadcraft. DIAmond is based on the DSA handbook. Pros and cons to all. There are other means of improving your riding without getting a test - you could go to a professional tongue.gif

Yes, 30%, but I didn't do it for the discount.

NB - I'm in a different jurisdiction wink.gif

Stu

#4 Guest_E.T._*

Guest_E.T._*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2006 - 08:21 pm

I'm a group observer for the IAM in cars, and I did the RoSPA course for the bike. I prefer RoSPA simply becasue they grade the pass, but most especially because you retest every three years (unlike the IAM)

Whatever you do, your riding is only ever going to be as good as it is on the day, so to speak. You can all the training in the world and if you then decide that "you know it all" and relax a bit - that's when you can cop it.

So being an "advanced" rider means nothing unless you apply it ALL the time.

If you do, then statistically you will be far safer. The only close calls I have EVER had is when I haven't been doing it right...consequently I try to do it all the time these days, cos frankly a cheap thrill ain't worth a broken leg (or worse) in my book.

The most galling thing for me is people that have "done" the Bikesafe day (I did that too and they awarded me a "Gold certificate of Achievement"...which was awarded to absolutely everyone) and then go away thinking they have done advanced training and are okay. Nope Bikesafe has an important role...provided they get the message across of what it is. An assessment day. That is all. No real training, maybe a few tips in the classroom and a couple of hours on the road.

When I did the IAM training, I had a retired Police instructor instructor (he was head of Essex Driving School and trained the Police instructors) - I was lucky, and it was a real eye opener!!! Brilliant. I then read comments by people that the IAM and RoSPA don't do it properly and they should seek "professional" training. I don't think I could have paid money and had a better instructor. I did about 25 hours with him. I guess I was very lucky.

I did get an Observer for the RoSPA bike - another seasoned Biker on BMW (what else!) and I did only a few hours, because really I was applying Roadcraft from the car to the bike, which is much the same thing, and was already up to test standard. The obvious differences are braking and shifting techniques: positioning, anticipation and "IPSGA" is all the same.

For me it is about preservation of life. The bonuses on the insurance are there (Carole Nash reduced my premium by another £20..I think), but mostly you will save money on fuel, tyres and brakes. This will be because you are planning so far ahead you will be using "accleration sense" and all your riding will be smoother and more controlled.

I would recommend it to everyone. I am aware there are others on this forum who disagree...tough...its a free country and every ones entitled to my opinion!

Edited by E.T., 24 March 2006 - 08:24 pm.

#5 Guest_Emmett_*

Guest_Emmett_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2006 - 09:30 pm

Aye, I like the idea of being graded, and retaking it every few years will force you to keep practising. The bike school in Edinburgh are currently flogging the diamond course so I might look into that too.
I have done a few advance days with an instructor and found it really good, you don't need an advance test to learn alot, but its nice to have a bit of paper to show off.

#6 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 25 March 2006 - 12:14 am

QUOTE(Emmett @ Fri 24th Mar 2006, 09:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Aye, I like the idea of being graded, and retaking it every few years will force you to keep practising. The bike school in Edinburgh are currently flogging the diamond course so I might look into that too.
I have done a few advance days with an instructor and found it really good, you don't need an advance test to learn alot, but its nice to have a bit of paper to wipe d'arse with.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#7 Nanook

Nanook

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 25 March 2006 - 03:41 pm

Good ole Wicky - lowering the tone yet again rotflmmfao.gif rotflmmfao.gif
Beware the whitevanman!

#8 Guest_E.T._*

Guest_E.T._*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2006 - 04:12 pm

wouldn't be the same without Wicky would it!

#9 Guest_Emmett_*

Guest_Emmett_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2006 - 09:58 pm

QUOTE(E.T. @ Sat 25th Mar 2006, 03:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wouldn't be the same without Wicky would it!

Hard to say if it'd be better or worse, but it wouldn't be the same. rotflmmfao.gif

#10 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 25 March 2006 - 10:58 pm

QUOTE(Emmett @ Sat 25th Mar 2006, 04:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hard to say if it'd be better or worse, but it wouldn't be the same. rotflmmfao.gif

rotflmmfao.gif ooOOOOooooo

ph34r.gif =

How come wicky gets a smilie designed after him? Coincidence? I think not!

Edited by tdm850rider, 25 March 2006 - 11:10 pm.

Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#11 stu

stu

full o shoite

• 2,060 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 27 March 2006 - 11:22 am

I then read comments by people that the IAM and RoSPA don't do it properly and they should seek "professional" training.

I didn't say that they don't do it properly, simply that there are professional alternatives. tongue.gif rolleyes.gif wink.gif

Speaking as a professional alternative. biggrin.gif

Stu

#12 Guest_E.T._*

Guest_E.T._*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2006 - 06:33 pm

QUOTE(stu @ Mon 27th Mar 2006, 10:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I didn't say that they don't do it properly, simply that there are professional alternatives. tongue.gif rolleyes.gif wink.gif
Speaking as a professional alternative. biggrin.gif

Wasn't really referring to your comments Stu, it was a new column in the BMF magazine, Motorcycle Rider, where "the professionals can have their say". the first one (two issues back I think) was written by an instructor you did nothing but slag IAM and RoSPA off...

...even if one has the opinion that this guy has, he could have said things far more graciously without pissing loadsa people off, you should seen the "write to reply" in the next issue!

Yes of course having professional training is a good way of doing it too, especially if money is no object. My only comment on that is to get the same number of hours would have cost more than I personally could afford (and many others) therefore the training may have to be crammed into fewer hours, to match my budget...may be a bit of each waould be the ideal way?

#13 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 12:18 am

QUOTE(Emmett @ Thu 23rd Mar 2006, 04:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The US topic seemed to be a bit side-tracked,

The US topic is not sidetracked, it has simply diversified. tongue.gif
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#14 laughin in a windstorm

laughin in a windstorm

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 12 April 2006 - 07:37 am

I will not retrain without a fight and if someone tries to make me wear flourescent coloured clothing who is within punching distance then..................................well every dung heap is covered with flies.
it's not my time to go, it's not my time to die
the last thing I want is for my family to cry

#15 Guest_E.T._*

Guest_E.T._*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2006 - 07:55 am

QUOTE(laughin in a windstorm @ Wed 12th Apr 2006, 06:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I will not retrain without a fight and if someone tries to make me wear flourescent coloured clothing who is within punching distance then..................................well every dung heap is covered with flies.

who is saying you have to?

#16 laughin in a windstorm

laughin in a windstorm

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 12 April 2006 - 08:00 am

no one yet, but it's bound to happen
it's not my time to go, it's not my time to die
the last thing I want is for my family to cry

#17 Guest_Emmett_*

Guest_Emmett_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2006 - 10:29 am

QUOTE(laughin in a windstorm @ Wed 12th Apr 2006, 08:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
no one yet, but it's bound to happen

I think you've been reading to much MCN, the government is out to get us dry.gif

#18 oiler

oiler

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 08:16 pm

Im, with Laffin on this, feckm all, specially the ones with pointy eads! Dont really understand the flies/dungheap thing tho, Tho thats probly the beer!
Message came back from the great beyond..........57 channels an nothin on..........

#19 oiler

oiler

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 08:34 pm

Woss all this TDM model 2006 stuff, i never said i had a 2006, mines a 92, not even slightly gay.
Message came back from the great beyond..........57 channels an nothin on..........

#20 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 04 May 2006 - 08:34 pm

I'm with an IAM club, learned quite a lot riding with an observer, and passed the test last summer. The club's pretty active and you can do assesment rides, train as an observer, etc, and going out on club runs with people who ride well also improves your own riding, as you see what they're doing (right or wrong) and adjust your own riding accordingly

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users