full o shoite

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 01 August 2009 - 08:24 pm

Lifted from today's 'Irish Biker Forum'

http://www.bikersora...ead.php?t=96919

go to post no. 3.

Edited by danceswithmopeds, 01 August 2009 - 08:25 pm.

#2 stu

stu

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 2,060 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 02 August 2009 - 01:40 pm

shocked.gif

Stu

#3 Guest_LDRider_*

Guest_LDRider_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2009 - 03:28 pm

Do you all seriously think the newer R1200GS models suck? I mean yeah that was one hell of a catastrophic failure, but so was the broken rear shock on the TDM posted recently, wasn't it? And, how many engines have been destroyed when the chain broke and jammed the drive sprocket (thankfully, not that many).

I'm curious to hear your opinions for several reasons, including the fact that I'm seriously considering adding a 3rd bike to my collection, and I have my eye on a 2007 R1200GSA fully set up for long distance adv touring.

#4 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 02 August 2009 - 04:18 pm

There seem to have been ALOT of issues reported with the 1200. Whilst touring Scotland I stopped at Tongue garage for a fuse and the guy there had a number of 1200's that he had recovered over the week and was trailering South to the nearest BMW place.

Sounds terrible huh....but probably 80% of the boikes I seed up that far north were BMW GS's so is it really surprising that he had recovered GS's? You could also say I was the only TDM up there that day and 100% of the TDMs he seed that day blew a fuse.

Maybe the issues are just well reported (since lots of peeps ave em) or maybe they do have alot of issues or maybe its somewhere inbetween.

I ruh roh raggy.

"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#5 jdelfino

jdelfino

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • Location:Benalmadena Spain no more, The Hague no more, now Hampshire
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 02 August 2009 - 08:03 pm

QUOTE(dapleb @ Sun 2nd Aug 2009, 06:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I ruh roh raggy.

Is that german for swingarm failure? rotflmmfao.gif

Sent from my secret Dick Tracy watch

#6 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:21 pm

IU'm with Dappers on this one. If you look ay UKGSer there are a few horror stories floating around, but you're talking about the bike that's been the best seller in UK for several years. In Wales last weekend I reckon about 20% of the bikes we saw were GS', so for the amount of them about you'd expect a few breakdowns. Early 1200's were plagued with electrical problems in the fly by wire system but I think they've improved them a bit on later versions. Think there's still a few people with fuel pump issues though.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#7 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• 3,502 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:25 pm

QUOTE(LDRider @ Sun 2nd Aug 2009, 04:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you all seriously think the newer R1200GS models suck?

YEP !

I'm curious to hear your opinions for several reasons, including the fact that I'm seriously considering adding a 3rd bike to my collection, and I have my eye on a 2007 R1200GSA fully set up for long distance adv touring.

Bought the video, read the book, now buy the bike,

dont forget the family circle aluminium boxes @ £800 to complete the effect.

" I have my eye on a 2007 R1200GSA fully set up for long distance adv touring."

Whats wrong with the TDM ?

LDrider, I rode my mates tonight and Hitler was right "Its a Fookin tractor" !!! banana.gif

No offense, just my opinion ".

Cheers, Ivan

Edited by Geordie Guy, 02 August 2009 - 10:27 pm.

I'm a TDM SNOB !!!!     "Adventure before Dementia"  

Kawasaki GT550, XJ900 Diversion, 2002 TDM 900 , 2008 TDM 900a, 2010 TDM 900a.

#8 Guest_LDRider_*

Guest_LDRider_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2009 - 11:15 pm

QUOTE(Geordie Guy @ Sun 2nd Aug 2009, 11:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

" I have my eye on a 2007 R1200GSA fully set up for long distance adv touring."

Whats wrong with the TDM ?

LDrider, I rode my mates tonight and Hitler was right "Its a Fookin tractor" !!! banana.gif

No offense, just my opinion ".

Cheers, Ivan

Nothing 'wrong' with the TDM, but mine is set up for street work and is cramped for 2 up long distance travel. It's workable (done 5k miles 2 up myself) but less than ideal for long distance touring duty, factoring in some off road miles.

Also, it has weak electrical power output. I can't run my heated clothes and grips at the same time. No way to even consider me and the GF doing heated gear on the TDM.

Another factor is parts availability in north america - not that easy to come by in middle of canada, or even california on short notice.

I have no intention of selling the TDM, just possibly adding another bike.

#9 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 03 August 2009 - 01:27 am

QUOTE(LDRider @ Sun 2nd Aug 2009, 07:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have no intention of selling the TDM, just possibly adding another bike.

Practical here to get a 2nd bike to take some of the load off the TDM. ambusy.gif
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#10 Toraneko

Toraneko

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 03 August 2009 - 04:36 am

THIS one always brings a smile to my face. rotflmmfao.gif The TDM900 shines again. wink.gif

Edited by TDMtoraneko, 03 August 2009 - 05:11 am.

cheers, Shane from Tassie

Airbox Mod ( JBX ), Krauser K-wing mount & Top Box, TDM Shield a.k.a TigerScreen Mk 2, HyperPro progressive rate fork springs, BeoWulf - Warrior exhausts,
Stebel Compact Nautilus Air-Horn with Eastern Beaver relay kit, Eastern Beaver PC-8 switched fusebox, Powerlet BMW style power socket
plus controller & heated gloves for the missus. Oxford v7 Heated Grips, V-Strom 650 HandGuards, Fenda extenda.

#11 Guest_LDRider_*

Guest_LDRider_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2009 - 05:10 am

QUOTE(TDMtoraneko @ Mon 3rd Aug 2009, 05:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
THIS one always brings a smile to my face. rotflmmfao.gif

That a 900 towing that GS?

Well, I think the new GS bikes are a mixed bag for sure. My most hardened adv rider buds here prefer to buy the old airheads (R100GS), do all the standard 'patches', strengthen the frame a bit, and run those. They say they like em better because:
1. They're lower to the ground (easier to manage off road).
2. Basically bullet proof once you do all the known required fixes.
3. You can work on the bike with a minimal set of tools on the road, if needed.

That said, the newer bikes are no doubt smoother, faster, more comfy touring. I dunno; guess I'd like to own about 10 bikes if I could afford em and had a big enough garage.

#12 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:02 am

QUOTE(Geordie Guy @ Sun 2nd Aug 2009, 11:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

rotflmmfao.gif

Most of Ivan's arguments are against the image rather than the bike itself, and we let ourselves be swayed too much by image we'd all be riding the latest Yamondasaki supersports missile rather than TDMs. I had a test ride of the 1150GS when they first came out, it's a very different riding experience, mainly due to the front end, but they're a pretty good bike. Personally I'm put off them by the image though laugh.gifrolleyes.gif

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#13 Guest_LDRider_*

Guest_LDRider_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2009 - 01:06 pm

QUOTE(ChrisG @ Mon 3rd Aug 2009, 08:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
rotflmmfao.gif

Most of Ivan's arguments are against the image rather than the bike itself, and we let ourselves be swayed too much by image we'd all be riding the latest Yamondasaki supersports missile rather than TDMs. I had a test ride of the 1150GS when they first came out, it's a very different riding experience, mainly due to the front end, but they're a pretty good bike. Personally I'm put off them by the image though laugh.gifrolleyes.gif

Yeah, makes sense. I couldn't care less about the image either way. Well, probably not completely true, I think the whole Long Way Round thing screwed things up by overly popularizing that bike. I'm also not negative about BMW because of two reasons. First, I already own one and it's a superb piece of machinery. The K1200S is amazingly fun to ride on wide open roads. It sucks in slow, ultra twisty stuff, but who cares, that's not where/how I ride it. Second, I have a bunch of friends that have been riding for 30+ years, and in spite of their bitching they still are riding GS bikes because in their opinions they're still the best alternative for what they want (see below).

I've done some big rides 2 up on the TDM, and while I love the bike it's just not built for 2 up long distance w/ some off road action through cold weather (e.g., California to northern Alaska and back). I only see two modern bikes really in contention for that sort of duty. The KTM 990 adventure and the BMW R1200 GS (adventure or std). The KTM is what I'd ride solo if not the TDM, but it's also not a great 2 up bike, and definitely not as good a touring bike due to comfort issues. So, if you wanted to go 10k miles, though 1k miles of dirt roads, 2 up, with camping gear, expecting some damn cold weather, what would one ride? That is exactly the choice I'm facing, and image aside, I can't think of a better bike than the GS. If there is one, I'd like to know about it.

#14 danceswithmopeds

danceswithmopeds

full o shoite

• 2,425 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 03 August 2009 - 03:09 pm

but they're easy to park.

#15 Galilee

Galilee

850 going for 900

• 892 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 03 August 2009 - 03:45 pm

Wide variety of colours too:

Too Freud to rock'n'roll, too Jung to die.

#16 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• 3,502 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 03 August 2009 - 05:45 pm

good.gif
I'm a TDM SNOB !!!!     "Adventure before Dementia"  

Kawasaki GT550, XJ900 Diversion, 2002 TDM 900 , 2008 TDM 900a, 2010 TDM 900a.

#17 Guest_LDRider_*

Guest_LDRider_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2009 - 06:19 pm

Pretty funny.

I think you are full on TDM bigots, or at least anti-GS bigots. I can see the first, but don't get the second. It's a bike; it's not a TDM killer or anything.

#18 TDMTAM

TDMTAM

Carpe Citizen

• 4,205 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 03 August 2009 - 06:55 pm

QUOTE(LDRider @ Mon 3rd Aug 2009, 07:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pretty funny.

I think you are full on TDM bigots, or at least anti-GS bigots. I can see the first, but don't get the second. It's a bike; it's not a TDM killer or anything.

I think on a whole its just a bit of friendly banter The GS is a good bike in its own right, hell I even thought of buying one, as well as the TDM. But one thing is for sure, that is BMW were caught with their pants down with the popularity of the GS range & as such they have not been able to keep the standard that is expect of BMW. My boss bought a 3 year old GS12 with 12k on it 2 month later an oil seal went in the final drive got it fixed as a good will deal. then 1 month after that the infamous engine to gearbox seal went bmws answer was a we'll fix it for £150 as a good will deal. Just over 3 years old 12k & full BMW service history, not good is it, So my boss is now planning on selling. I think they are ok as long as you can afford one with a warranty. But I still like them & may own one.
But my new TDM so far 1 warranty claim for a delaminating of a mirror. my last TDM it only major thing was a reg rec went south taking the battery with it.
& the previous TDM I had the headers replaced under warranty due to corroision. I suspect the new TDM will be just as good.
GS TDM KTM who really cares ride what bike YOU like & enjoy.
TAM

2008 TDM 900 in BLACK, MRA Vario, DL handguards & more to come
1994 TDM 850 mkI Silver, with Blueflame end can, Gone to a new owner & I kinda miss her!

th_09062006104.jpg th_02012009095.jpg

Only a Biker knows why a Dog sticks it head out the car window

#19 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 03 August 2009 - 06:57 pm

i think we are mostly pisstakers....

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#20 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:01 pm

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Mon 3rd Aug 2009, 07:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i think we are mostly pisstakers....

Never rotflmmfao.gif
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users